Mar 16, 2018, 03:38 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

XT90 Diameter

I've been searching all day to find the diameter of the plugs inside this connector. Some sites say 5mm, most say 4.5mm, one even said 4mm. Any one out there with an actual XT90 in their possession willing to measure it for me?

Thanks,
Clint
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2018, 04:21 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Connector tests, dimensions, pictures
translate...www.elektromodellflug.de/hochstrom-st.-bu..html
Older version of that page, contains some other connectors
translate...www.elektromodellflug.de/oldpage/hochstromst/hochstromstecker.htm

Excellent site, do have a look at the controller-, motor-, charger-, power supply-, battery- etc. tests.

Prettig weekend Ron
Mar 16, 2018, 07:46 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! I actually just found the spec sheet from Amass themselves. It confirms 4.5mm. (Which is different than what is stated on HK)
Mar 17, 2018, 07:29 AM
Jack
It says the contacts are "Brass Gold Plated" and I'll bet that is not true...

Jack
Mar 17, 2018, 08:03 AM
I'm not the pivot man
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
It says the contacts are "Brass Gold Plated" and I'll bet that is not true...

Jack
... yeah that is a little questionable. Contrasting the price between these connectors and the price of gold makes me skeptical.
Mar 17, 2018, 12:21 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron van Sommeren
Connector tests, dimensions, pictures
translate...www.elektromodellflug.de/hochstrom-st.-bu..html
Older version of that page, contains some other connectors
translate...www.elektromodellflug.de/oldpage/hochstromst/hochstromstecker.htm ...
Several gold plated connectors in that test (a.o. 250A+ ), but gold is not mentioned for the XT30, -60 and -90's

Prettig weekend Ron
Mar 17, 2018, 03:57 PM
Jack
There is a table here:

http://www.tibtech.com/conductivity.phpthst

that is titled

"Properties table of Stainless steel, Metals and other Conductive materials"

and it has the metals arranged with the best electrical resistivity at the top. And a gold plating would improve things over brass to brass contacts I guess.

Brass is worth about $2.00 a pound at scrap metal prices, gold is worth about $1,316.54 per ounce or $21,064.64 a pound...

Were any there, the tough part would be getting the gold off of the brass...

Jack
Mar 17, 2018, 07:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
There is a table here:

that is titled

and it has the metals arranged with the best electrical resistivity at the top. And a gold plating would improve things over brass to brass contacts I guess.

Brass is worth about $2.00 a pound at scrap metal prices, gold is worth about $1,316.54 per ounce or $21,064.64 a pound...

Jack
Are you planning to fund retirement one XT connector at a time?😁
Mar 17, 2018, 08:00 PM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint H
Are you planning to fund retirement one XT connector at a time?😁
That would be a heart breaker if that was my plan. I still don't think the gold is there.

And my retirement is covered now. I'm 76 this year, gave the Navy 26 years, have been retired for longer now than I was in, and my needs are all pretty well funded thanks to the Navy pension and Social Security.

Jack
Mar 17, 2018, 11:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
That would be a heart breaker if that was my plan. I still don't think the gold is there.

And my retirement is covered now. I'm 76 this year, gave the Navy 26 years, have been retired for longer now than I was in, and my needs are all pretty well funded thanks to the Navy pension and Social Security.

Jack
Thank you for your service, sir.
Mar 18, 2018, 08:07 AM
I'm not the pivot man
Quote:
There is a table here:

that is titled

Jack
I am hard pressed to think there is any appreciable gold on any of the inexpensive connectors ... if any at all. However, what is common is a gold alloy where nickle and cobalt is added in the electroplating process. High end stereo/audio cables use gold plated connectors and the difference is sound quality is obvious when compared to standard cables. On these cheap Asian XT and other connectors I seriously doubt there is any gold of any value. Mostly an alloy of some sort.
Mar 18, 2018, 08:23 AM
Jack
'..I am hard pressed to think there is any appreciable gold on any of the inexpensive connectors..."

I agree with that!

Jack
Mar 18, 2018, 08:34 AM
I am a nice guy! Really!
[QUOTE=jackerbes;39352010 . . . .

. . . .
Jack[/QUOTE]

Gold prices are for Troy ounces. 1 Troy ounce = 1.097 oz avoirdupois so only about 19,200/pound.

The gold plating on contacts is very thin so very little gold is used.

http://www.te.com/documentation/whit...f/aurulrep.pdf

The plating process most likely is more costly than the gold used.
Mar 19, 2018, 03:24 PM
In pro audio, you won't find gold plating on microphone connectors, or any other connector that's going to be subject to repeated connect/disconnect cycles.
In home audio, a good quality gold plated RCA connector is great, since those interconnects are usually connected, then left connected for years in many cases.
Pete
Mar 23, 2018, 09:42 AM
Gold plating is for corrosion resistance and costs almost nothing in the amount that is deposited. Usually the Gold will be plated over a Nickel plating.
There is not much point plating connectors which are cycled as the plating soon wears away. The XT90s for instance wear through the gold in the first few times they are coupled.

Quick Reply