This thread is privately moderated by rclad, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 16, 2018, 01:27 PM
"I will return" Federico
Thread OP
Discussion

Stephen Hawking and the Goal of Perfection

Among the many tributes to theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking, who died this week at 76, I heard a quote that intrigued me, one of many from his long career about the universe and our place in it: "One of the basic rules of the universe is that nothing is perfect. Perfection simply doesn't exist.....Without imperfection, neither you nor I would exist.

This must be a reference to how natural selection takes advantage of the random mutation of genes when cells divide. It raises for me an interesting question about how we who compete in IMAC or Pattern, or any number of RC events, resolve the paradox of our sport: we are imperfect beings out to relax and have fun with our friends, but we are doing so with machines and technology that demand incredible attention to detail to be safe, at a minimum, and fly perfectly at best.

Hawking's own life was a paradox. He was diagnosed with ALS at 21 and given only a couple years to live, yet he went on to pursue a long career in physics, defying the odds against him and reaching great heights, not only in the academic world, but in popular culture as well with his book, A Brief History of Time. He helped us understand that when a star dies, many new stars are born in its place. Many of the elemental particles that make life possible - carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, sulphur and phosphorus - are the remnants of stars. We are the stuff of stars.

I will take Hawking's achievement as inspiration to pursue excellence in my flying, even though the odds are stacked against us of reaching perfection. That may not even be the ultimate goal.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2018, 02:31 PM
S.H. was probably referring to the symmetry break at the beginning of the universe that created matter and anti-matter. Had it been perfect, all matter would have paired with anti-matter and no matter would have been left over. However the process is believed to allow for a (1:100,000,000) chance of a matter particle to remain. Hence we are -in a sense- made up from the leftovers of that break while most of it cancelled itself out.
Mar 16, 2018, 10:58 PM
"I will return" Federico
Thread OP
Thanks! I forgot about that. So imperfection was there from the beginning, and we wouldn't be here otherwise. Glad you joined RC Groups to set me straight!
Mar 18, 2018, 02:28 AM
Actually I joined because I am now starting a build of the CL-415. And my first inkling was to create a build thread here. In the end I opted for a simple website blog at www.starbase55.com/cl415/index.html

I will probably do some posts here as well, especially when I have question (Seems a lot of knowledgable people here)

Quick Reply