Wing Area: 500 sq in (32.3 sq dm)
Length: 39.5 Inches (1003mm)
Flying Weight: 60-62oz (1700-1757 g)
Motor: E-flite 15 BL 950 KV Brushless Outrunner Motor
ESC: E-flite 40A Brushless ESC
Receiver: Spektrum AR636A Receiver with AS3X and SAFE Select Technology
Prop Size: 12X8.5
Servos: (6) Spektrum A330 Micro, 9 Gram
Battery: 2200-3000mAh 3S 11.1V 30C Li-Po (not included)
Available at: Horizon Hobby
Price: $269.99

The North American T-6 Texan was the primary advanced training aircraft for many US pilots during WWII. After completing primary flight training, mostly in the Stearman PT-17, cadets moved on to hone their skills in the much more powerful T-6. The US Army Aircorp designation was AT-6 Texan, AT standing for Advanced Trainer. The US Navy version was the SNJ, S=Scout, N=Trainer and J=North American. It was also used by the Royal Air Force under the designation of Harvard. The aircraft had a long production run in all its variants from 1935 until the 1950's about 15,000 were built. Many are still flying and can be seen at various airshows. The original AT-6 was an airplane with some serious vices and the demands of learning to fly it were a good stepping-stone on the path to flying the front line fighters of the day. While the model retains nearly all the lines of the original it is devoid of the vices and makes a great flyer for pilots with a wide variety of experience. While, like its full-scale counterpart, it isn't a basic trainer, it would make a suitable advanced trainer for pilots that have a model or two under their belt.

Kit Contents

Everything that you need except the transmitter, flight battery and charger is included in the box.

Assembly

With only a few parts to assemble, it only takes a short time and a screwdriver to get her ready to fly. All the graphics are pressure sensitive adhesive decals and are pre-installed. The triple flaps are injection molded parts and pre-installed and connected to a single servo mounted on the upper center of the wing. This is a very clean installation with no drive hardware showing at all.

Details that deserve a special note:

Flying

Basics

The one-piece wing mounts to the fuselage with 4 screws. I really love the fact that the ailerons, flaps and retracts are automatically connected when the wing is mounted, no loose wires to plug in. I set the control throws per the manual and charged up the 3S 2200mAh LiPo and headed for the flying field. I checked the CG and with the battery all the way forward in the battery box; everything was good.

Taking Off and Landing

The landing gear are spaced far enough apart to make ground handling while taxiing easy. The landing gear spacing is still narrow enough to require the pilots close attention in order to keep the aircraft tracking in a straight line. The gear are robust and the retract operation is smooth, the landing gear door is hinged and attached to the main gear with a ball link.

It was a breezy day for the first flights so I choose not to use take-off flaps for the first flight. I nosed it into the wind and applied power, some right rudder was needed to maintain direction. In short order I was climbing out with authority. My first impression was that this is a smooth airplane, it felt in the groove from the start. This is an airplane that will settle the maiden flight jitters very quickly. The power from the brushless outrunner motor is more than adequate for more than scale speed. The factory control settings felt comfortable, good response but not twitchy. I took the airplane to a reasonable altitude and performed a few stall tests. I flew into the wind while reducing the power and slowly adding up elevator till the model slowed far enough to stop flying. It did so with a fairly gentle wing drop and fall off to that side. Recovery was quick when the up elevator was released and a little airspeed was restored. The airplane did not proceed into a spin. The handling was very encouraging and confidence building, it felt like an airplane that was not going to bite me. One thing that was not covered clearly in the otherwise thorough manual was elevator to flap mixing. I knew that some down elevator would be required but wasn't sure how much. I flew the first flight with no compensation and with the flap settings at 15mm for take-off flaps and 30mm for landing flaps. While flying with only about 1/3 power, I dropped the flaps to take-off position. Not surprisingly, the nose of the airplane rose, but not too abruptly. Full flaps increased the pitch up but it was very evident that it also slowed the model dramatically. After landing I added 1.5mm of down elevator for take-off flaps and 3mm for full flaps. I measured the elevator movement from the very rear of the elevator. This turned out to be just about perfect and removed the nose up tendency when flaps were deployed on the following flight. As I mentioned, full flaps really adds a lot of drag to the airframe and makes landing speeds quite slow. This is good because it makes for a short roll out and less time required in maintaining a straight path.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

During the first couple of flights I explored some of the AT-6's aerobatic capabilities. It can perform any of the flight maneuvers that the original could perform. It's not a 3D plane by any means but loops, rolls, inverted, snaps are all pretty easily performed with this airplane. The airplane with the 3-cell 2200 gets between 4-6 minutes of flight depending on throttle usage. The airframe can easily handle larger heavier batteries, as there is plenty of room to adjust for proper CG. The 3-cell 2200mAh pack is the lightest pack that is suitable and it needs to be as far forward as possible for correct CG.

Is This For a Beginner?

Not for an absolute beginner but perfect for someone who wants to move from a basic trainer to an advanced trainer. This models design has removed the flying vices of its full scale counterpart but retained its great looks. Taildragger take-offs and landings can be more challanging for low time pilots. Its broad flight envelope makes it suitable for a large group of modelers. The fact that it can be flown in an aggressive fashion and that aerobatics are well within its flight range make it a great choice for even the more experienced pilot.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Conclusion

I really like the looks of this airplane and Horizon has done a great job of making it super easy to assemble and transport. It is a model that can be flown off a paved runway or grass and has a broad range of flight speeds. The model will support a broad array of batteries in its expansive interior and has enough wing to carry the weight of larger batteries. The landing gear is rugged and the flaps effective, overall just a fun plane to fly. I really did not find any negatives, it is an exceptional model.

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy.
  • RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Hiflyer; Apr 11, 2018 at 03:54 PM..
Apr 26, 2018, 12:01 PM
Suspended Account
I was looking at my friends real T-6 from the side with this one and they made it a tad to short and a tad to fat and the canopy is also a tad to long . I thought about getting one
Apr 26, 2018, 06:13 PM
SRM
SRM
Beautiful kit and seems to be a gentle and easy flier. On my wish list for sure.
Apr 28, 2018, 01:15 PM
I love the looks and the flight performance of my AT-6.
Apr 30, 2018, 07:55 PM
AeroDan
BEAUTIFUL Model!!! Texan’s Forever!!!!
Jun 03, 2018, 10:24 AM
They call me Lipo...

E-flite AT-6 1.5m: FLIGHT LESSONS using the wireless buddy-box feature!

Today we're out at Bennett Field in fabulous Las Vegas with Jeff Stein and Adolpho Muñoz while Jeff uses the E-flite AT-6 and a pair of DX6's using the wireless buddy-box feature to instruct Adolpho on only his 6th or 7th RC plane flight !
E-flite AT-6 1.5m - FLIGHT SCHOOL with Jeff Stein and Adolpho Muñoz! (7 min 25 sec)

Although you wouldn't normally think to use an AT-6 as a primary trainer (it is an "Advanced Trainer" after all ), the use of the wireless buddy-box feature, SAFE and AS3X helps to open new doors and opportunities to get folks into the hobby and this video shows that it can in fact be done, and with newer pilots who have very little experience !

ENJOY
Jul 06, 2018, 06:16 AM
Right Rudder

Super at-6 rc model!

Hiflyer,

Excellent review and pictures plus super video.

I hope my up-and-coming High Resolution Pictures session with my buddy's FUJIFILM X-E1 with Telephoto Lens would produce as nice pictures as yours.

Some interesting items that I have encountered with my E-Flite AT-6 Texan was:

1. You need to hold the model at the Top FUSE and slightly lift the model while UPSIDE DOWN so, as to apply pressure on the FOUR bolts that attach the Wing to the FUSE. This way you don't make any indention on the FUSE while applying pressure and screwing down these bolts.

2. This maybe an isolated case with my model but, I happened to encounter a Screeching Noise coming from the STOCK motor during the very first RUN-UP of the power system. I was able to recreate it and determined that my ESC was not timed correctly and had to go into PROGRAMMING MODE on the STOCK 40-AMP ESC and went to MENU-3 and selected the 15 degree timing. I got really SPOOKED that I decided to use another Power System (Just Chicken Little me), to make sure my Maiden Flight was uneventful.

3. My Alternative Power System consisting of the Models Motors AXI 2826/10 (870 KV) and coupled with the Castle Creations Phoenix 45-AMP ESC performed so well during STATIC Bench testing and subsequent Maiden Flight, that they are going to stay in my AT-6. My personal tastes here is using the Master Aircrew "wooden" 11 X 6 "GLOW" Propeller and it performed delightfully with very good airspeed and thrust. ALL THIS using the GENS ACE 3-Cell, 25C discharge, 2200mAH, Lithium Polymer battery pack.

SUMMARY:
I would highly recommend for anyone to perform Ground Checks of the model for all Radio Functions and Power System performance prior to taking any model out to the RC Club field. In my "SPECIFIC" situation and circumstance, I was able to detect something with Timing on the STOCK Power System and corrected it by following some simple ESC manual instructions (Available at HORIZON HOBBY website).

Again, I am in total agreement that this model is just a super flying machine and for once a "RELAXING" AT-6 model as oppose to the other AT-6 models that are in the Hobby Market. This one does NOT have any UGLY Stall Tendencies what-so-ever.

Here's my Maiden Flight Video (Modified):
E-Flite AT-6 modified maiden Flight 07-04-2018 (2 min 24 sec)
Last edited by PittSpecial; Jul 06, 2018 at 06:23 AM.
Sep 19, 2018, 06:41 AM

Converted to a Harvard

I bought this model with the intention of converting it to a Canadian Harvard.
The model was easy to completely take apart, paint, and reassemble.
Have not had a chance to maiden it yet.
Sep 19, 2018, 08:39 AM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted sutherland
I bought this model with the intention of converting it to a Canadian Harvard.
The model was easy to completely take apart, paint, and reassemble.
Have not had a chance to maiden it yet.
Absolutely beautiful !

RF
Sep 23, 2018, 11:42 AM
Right Rudder

Amazing model

this AT-6 Texan “modified” Electric 57 inch wing span delightful flying model! It was rather windy and gusty but, this model was a just amazing in the Air and best the landing was picture perfect, even with side wind action!

She went up using the GEN Aces 3-cell, 2200mAH Lithium’s

Quick Reply