This thread is privately moderated by Rural Flyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 14, 2018, 02:50 PM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Holy Stone HS-100 Antenna Upgrade

HS100 Antenna Upgrade (1 min 44 sec)

This entry was inspired while cleaning up misc "Junk". I found an old Wifi Router that died a few years back... It has 3 perfectly good 2.4Ghz Antenna, and associate SMA connectors with nice long pigtail co-axial lines.

I've had the HS-100 for a few weeks now, it's stable, reliable, reasonably smooth flying and seems like a good candidate to hack n mod, so an Antenna upgrade seemed like a no-brainer, as everything I needed was already at hand.

The Controller/TX unit was first, 4 screws and your in... I opted to de-solder the 300mah Lithium cell that powers the unit, as I wanted to pull all the PCB's out and didn't want to short out anything in the process.

I almost missed the original "Factory Issue" antenna, as it's just a single short wire, I scraped a small patch of the paint/PCB screening off the large pad beside the antenna junction, and luckily it measured "Ground". So the thin-co-axial pigtail off the Wifi router's Pig tail was trimmed, prepped and soldered into place.

(Of note while inside the TX, I noticed some PCB ID#'s that read SJ S70TC, perhaps this may be a clue to who is the actual manufacturer... So far, the exact same drone claims to be made by Promark, SJ R/C, and Holy Stone... I'm starting to lean towards SJ R/C...

A quick start-up of the Drone n TX verified that the TX is still working as they Paired nicely, and the Drone took a Gyro Calibration command... That was all I wanted to do inside... Be aware that once the tiny sprig of wire that "They" call an Antenna is removed DO-NOT power-up the TX until the new Antenna is securely in place, as you may risk damaging the radio transmitter circuit.

Likewise the drone dis-assemble was pretty routine, again I got out a magnifying glass to find the flacid single element Antenna, un-soldered it, prepped the replacement, located a "Ground Pad" as close to the Antenna solder point and installed the new one.

The SMA connector passed thru a hole I had to drill in the bottom of the lower body shell with care taken to not obscure the camera view or movement, as well as the landing skids.

The Antenna is a tad on the "Heavy" side weighing in at 28g, but the HS-100 seems to have plenty of lifting capacity in reserve. to partially off-set the additional weight of the antenna, I opted to remove the Opaque LED lenses, as they are useless, and don't seem to offer any structural integrity.

Also pictured is the GPS module (located in the top dome of the Upper body shell), it is a 1575R-A, a quick Google search showed it is being used by Arduino enthusiasts, which is encouraging, as it may be accessible for some OSD info, even the last GPS Co-Ordinates would be handy in the event of a Crash.

Not shown is the FC (flight Control) brd, seems pretty generic, of note are the driving MOSFETs for the individual motors PN:SKTD055N03L I didn't find the exact data sheet but the general "Family" of N-Channel Fets implies that this is a 30V 50A switcher, which opens the door to "Over-Volting" to a 3S Battery

We're have a late winter snow storm right now, so I was only able to do the most basic of flights outside, actually a hover test to ensure that the drone is no worse... In a few days we should have clear skies, and hopefully a bit of range testing will be in order.

Below are the still images of this mod over 19 pic's so you may have to "Click View all Images"
Last edited by Rural Flyer; Mar 14, 2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: missing info
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2018, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Range tested out to 300 meters with no issues...

Waiting on FPV Gear, and a windless day to try 400 meters....

HS 100 300 meter range test (3 min 0 sec)
Jun 25, 2018, 11:46 AM

Antenna upgrade for hs100

Im interested in doing this to mine but it goes to 500 meters with the little antenna it already has so i guess my question is does the upgrade give a further flying distance
Jul 14, 2018, 05:16 PM

Antenna upgrade

When I added the antenna to the controller everything was fine. When I then added it to the drone it would not launch. It calibrated, but when I attempted to launch the lights blinked rapidly and the camera cycled up and down. I was wondering if you had any suggestions for troubleshooting and repair.

Thanks,
Steve
Jul 17, 2018, 09:27 AM
Thread OP
Hey Steve,

Regrets on not getting back to you sooner, I've been outta town...

Regardless, The 1st place I'd check is the solder joints onto the Drone Flight Control Brd.

I should have mentioned that I'd bridged the "Signal" and Grnd on one of the drones I'd modded (I've done the mod 3 times to date)...

If you have the unit open anyways, revert back to the original Stub Antenna and see if Comm's are restored...

My eyesight is quite poor so I use an LED head-lamp and strong glasses to solder PCB's these days so I just assume everybody else is running 20/20

If the Original Ant does work, you should see a noticeable improvement with just the TX/Controller upgraded, you may not get all the way out to 500 Meters, but 375 to 400 meters is better that the 275 to 300 meters I was getting with the stock config.

All the best!
Aug 31, 2018, 07:44 AM

How many antenna to upgrade ?

Why you use 3 antenna's ? Where you place the third ?

I have a dlink dir-825, 2 antennas. Can we use this to upgrade my hs_100 ?

Regards.

PS I'm from quebec and I speak french.

Good job, really.

André
Last edited by Andre Daguerre; Sep 09, 2018 at 06:39 AM.
Oct 08, 2018, 01:10 PM

Camera trouble

Just got a HS100. Only flew it 2 times. the camera doesn't tilt. Any suggestions????
Oct 10, 2018, 12:31 AM
Thread OP
There are 2 cables under the camera attachment (where it meets the drones under belly) one is for the camera itself, 4 pins , the other cable is for the servo that does the tilt... If it s loose, that would be an easy fix...

If the drone is new... Contact Holy Stone... They charge a premium price, but seem to deliver fast resolutions to issues...

Good luck!
Oct 21, 2018, 04:58 PM
Thread OP
Bon Jour Andre D,

Sorry to reply so late, regradless, I've only used 2 of the 3 Antanna off the router, it just happened to have 3 Ant...

If your Dlink unit is 2.4Ghz (good Chance it is) I'd give it a try... Just hang onto the orig Ant incase you have to swap back ...

All the Best!
May 07, 2019, 10:45 AM

Camera antenna

Just thinking about the camera antenna, could we apply the same method to get better video range.? Thinking weight might then become an issue?

Quick Reply