Mar 04, 2021, 02:39 PM
Hot glue will fix anything!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange_UAV_4G
I also have and R9 but the crossfire is very slick and plug and play, I'll see what range I get on the telemetry

Noted on gimbal feature, cheers
I like the R9 because Yaapu telemetry works with it and i have satellite mapping and full mavlink telemetry (one way) on my Tx, i do believe that recent versions of Yaapu can support maping now usung other systems (unsure about the rest of the telem) if you can feed it the right data though.
I cant wait for OpenTx 2.4, i missed having a touchscreen when i made the switch to OpenTX and its been a long wait for them to implement it!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2021, 11:36 AM
Are we there yet ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uksteve
I like the R9 because Yaapu telemetry works with it and i have satellite mapping and full mavlink telemetry (one way) on my Tx, i do believe that recent versions of Yaapu can support maping now usung other systems (unsure about the rest of the telem) if you can feed it the right data though.
I cant wait for OpenTx 2.4, i missed having a touchscreen when i made the switch to OpenTX and its been a long wait for them to implement it!
Hi Steve,

How's it hanging, touch screen and goggles would be a disaster for me got the mapping on my TX16S, again not much help with goggles on.
Mar 05, 2021, 02:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGPS
Hi Steve,

How's it hanging, touch screen and goggles would be a disaster for me got the mapping on my TX16S, again not much help with goggles on.
Hi Brian, just wait till the touchscreen becomes active on your TX16s, you'll see what i mean and you'll wonder how you ever lived without it ha ha, doing setup changes and general messing about is so much nicer on a touchscreen Tx!!

The mapping and telem of Yaapu is valuable as a failsafe data source should your video link fail for any reason, while if you have yaapu (or inav equivalent in your case?) then you have RTH, its still a valuable tool to see that your craft is actually coming home when not using a groundstation instead of the anxious wait to see if it shows up

Its also a novelty to fly on instruments only, i recently did that on one of my quads from takeoff till landing for giggles, its a strange experience flying beyond LOS without video!

Ive been on a stupid long wait for some heat shrink to turn up to finish my OpenHD/Tracker/Analogue setup but its finally arrived and final wiring is now almost done.
I also had the USB hub die on me and i had to source another and modify it grr.

5.8HD is fully functional, 2.4HD needs the second pair of units installing in the lid but the 3d printed mounts are designed and printed and just need epoxying in but its technically working without them as the two high power 2.4 modules are functional.

Still need to permanently install the XT30 power socket, epoxy the switches as the plastic box is too thick for the grips on the switches to latch onto, i need to mount the RCA sockets for the analogue Rx and also decide a mounting position for the GPS but to do things are all minor and i could run the Open HD quad right now if i wanted.

Glad i went with the size box i did, its still been a challenge working out where to put everything and a smaller box wouldn't have worked!

I might print a surround to go round the USB C that goes to the tracker FC and HDMI sockets to tidy them up a bit but thats just cosmetic and the last on my list!
Mar 16, 2021, 11:53 PM
Its also a novelty to fly on instruments only, i recently did that on one of my quads from takeoff till landing for giggles, its a strange experience flying beyond LOS without video!
- that's why 4g is cool, even if you have a slow low res refresh rate you can still see where you are and what's around you

do you guys use discord?
Mar 16, 2021, 11:55 PM
on the telemetry issue it seems i got a dodgy crossfire unit so i'm waiting for them to replace it, also weather here has been crap so focused on other things for now
Mar 17, 2021, 12:12 AM
also i'll also probably get to keep my faulty crossfire, it's fault is that it initially binds but after it's been on for some minutes it won't bind anymore and does other weird things, seems to me to be heat related, could be something like the antenna connection being bad inside the unit, ideas anyone?
Mar 17, 2021, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
also i'll also probably get to keep my faulty crossfire, it's fault is that it initially binds but after it's been on for some minutes it won't bind anymore and does other weird things, seems to me to be heat related, could be something like the antenna connection being bad inside the unit, ideas anyone?
If a bad antenna was causing heating, the outputs in the transmitter section will burn out in pretty short order, antennas are very very important.

I think the problem is probably more likely to be a faulty component on the board but I couldn't even think where you begin in searching other than freezing the board with spray and looking for what thaws out first when powered up.

I dont use discord, I don't know about Brian (NOGPS).

After getting a new USB hub for my OpenHD project and modifying it, the pi does not like it and ignores all but two of the ports grr so I've had to fall back on another hub I have but which couldn't be modified to switch the individual sockets due to it being a multi layer circuit board.

So frustrating, I've had to chop the plugs off a load of USB cables, re solder them to new plugs without the live and connected that to the switches direct.

Been a pain in the arse task plus I've had to re route some other things to allow for the new mounting leg layout of the USB hub

All the wifi bits are done on the epoxy side, I'm just messing about stupid bits and bobs and at last the lid will get screwed down for good and I'll release a video

I have tested it on 5.8 at home but I've held back taking the 5.8 equipped quad out to my flying location till I have it totally finished and not fragile loose wiring.

The 2.4 equipped plane is very close to air worthy but been put aside while I sort the groundstation, it should be just an evenings messing about to get that ready when I give it some attention again

Been suffering withdrawals, I'm tempted to head out with analogue and get my fix lol
Mar 27, 2021, 09:37 PM
I bought an FPV drone, a ciniwhoop and some goggles, that thing is mental, f knows how they fly them through buildings and stuff like that, anyone here know betaflight? noise filters are beyond me for the moment
Apr 17, 2021, 07:33 PM
VTOL Test flight (1 min 51 sec)

Managed to make a VTOL work today, quite happy about that
Apr 28, 2021, 03:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVoXuoHBbzc

Managed to make a VTOL work today, quite happy about that
Sorry, didn't get any notifications, I didn't know you'd posted!

I have no experience with betaflight as both my quads run Ardupilot.

Never tried VTOL, it's cool but the drag and extra weight of the quad side is what's made me stay away., it's gotta have a pretty significant affect on flight time!
Aug 02, 2021, 04:49 PM
Thread OP
This is what my 50cc mini quad bike to RC truck conversion looks like at the moment, the body is from a 90'S kids electric ride on truck, they actually made them reasonably to scale back then, now kids electric ride on's are loosely modeled on a design but all out of proportion in places and look stupid!

Its well over powered with the petrol engine and the electric conversion will give me so much better control plus reverse plus happy neighbors lol

I had to make the headlights myself as it just had a recess in the shape of one, they have 10w leds with heatsinks on the back, i made reflectors for the inside and the lenses are made from the reversing part of tail lights from a Ford Sierra ha ha, it also has tail and brake lights

UPDATE:

Been through an electric conversion and more!

Gonna leave the original pics up but adding how it is now its gone electric

Now running 6s for power (voltage on Oled is just during testing), has forward facing lidar, Rear facing Sonar, GPS, Compass, Flight controller with the normal Accelerometers and Gyros and is running Ardupilot Rover firmware.

i have full bi directional telemetry via a 433mhz radio modem, changed the Rx from 2.4ghz to a 868mhz FrSky R9 Slim +, have a status Oled display.

Its about to get a 1.5w 5.8ghz analogue vtx and two Caddx Ant cams on a switcher (forward and rear facing) controlled automatically by an rc mix as they can see bloody well in the dark plus its also getting 1w 2.4ghz Open HD 1080p fpv for daylight use, its a truck and weight isnt an issue so having both systems is an option!

3D printed rear lights and wired them up, head and tail lights are on an rc switch, brake and reverse lights are automatic using a rc mix.

Cleaned up the body and im currently making a cab and rear bed cover made of corrugated plastic covered in Matt black Vinyl.
Last edited by Uksteve; Oct 18, 2021 at 05:20 PM.
Sep 16, 2023, 02:31 PM
Thread OP
crash

Quick Reply