Mar 14, 2018, 09:21 AM
Hot glue will fix anything!
Thread OP
Help!

Electronic switch for fatshark module box goggle mod

THIS IS MADE NOW, GO TO PAGE 4 FOR PICS.......

i posted this in the robotics section but looking at the posts there, its not very active so seeing as its related to an fpv device im posting here!

I want to create an electronic switch that is turned to the on state with a momentary button but is ALWAYS in the off state when energized.

The voltage im working with is 5v and the load will not exceed 500ma.

I need it to be able to turn on a receiver after the other gear is turned on but due to the nature of the connected equipment, i need to change the mode its in before turning on the receiver.

ive been all over google and cant find what im looking for, searches just come up with the wrong info.

i know there is going to be a tonne of IC's out there that can do this ,its just finding out which ones and knowing the part numbers that is drawing a blank.

steve.
Last edited by Uksteve; Mar 16, 2018 at 03:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2018, 12:33 PM
Unregistered User
Could you explain the logic you want a little more? From what I can tell you want it to where it's off till you push a button then it turns on till the battery is unplugged, is this correct?
Mar 14, 2018, 12:47 PM
Cronicash
Terminals to work in both Normally closed when energized or vise versa.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sind...ceBeautifyAB=0
Mar 14, 2018, 01:05 PM
Are we there yet ?
Hi Steve,

There are many chips available that can do what you want to do but I would suggest a simple method is to use a minature 5v relay, I can send you a spec sheet for one I use in an application at work.

If you use one with dual pole dual throw contacts and a 5v coil you can use a push to make momentary switch to energize the coil and then using one of the normally open contacts which will close when energized to hold the 5v onto the coil when you let the button go this will hold the relay on until the power is cycled, you can then use one of the other contacts to power your 5.8 rx on or off depending on which contacts you use

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/5v-dc-2a-...nt-relay-n18aw

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-l...elays/4227029/
Last edited by Flore Flyer; Mar 14, 2018 at 01:35 PM.
Mar 14, 2018, 01:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernoodle2014
Could you explain the logic you want a little more? From what I can tell you want it to where it's off till you push a button then it turns on till the battery is unplugged, is this correct?
yes, i want it to be off when the power if connected to the whole setup but the switch the controls power to the rx is off.

then when ready i want to be able to press a momentary button, ether a brief press of a long press is fine.

i wish it to remain on until the power is disconnected but then when power is reconnected the switch is in a default state of off.

i dont want to use a relay of any sort as space is very limited, an IC and a transistor if the IC cannot switch a 500ma load could fit in the space i have
Mar 14, 2018, 01:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGPS
Hi Steve,

There are many chips available that can do what you want to do but I would suggest a simple method is to use a minature 5v relay, I can send you a spec sheet for one I use in an application at work.

If you use one with dual pole dual throw contacts and a 5v coil you can use a push to make momentary switch to energize the coil and then using one of the normally open contacts which will close when energized to hold the 5v onto the coil when you let the button go this will hold the relay on until the power is cycled, you can then use one of the other contacts to power your 5.8 rx on or off depending on which contacts you use

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/5v-dc-2a-...nt-relay-n18aw

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-l...elays/4227029/

thats a smart use of a relay and very useful in other things i do but in this aplication space is seriously limited and a relay wont fit.

i can fit an IC with the wires soldered directly to the legs and heat shrink wrapped no problem and i can use a transistor if the IC cannot switch the desired load.
Mar 14, 2018, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
OOOOOH!

i think i may have just found soloution, the NE555 timer IC can be used as a switch!

ive got about six 555's, i bought a bundle of them when i was making something else!
Mar 14, 2018, 02:01 PM
Thread OP
ok, make that 9 of them
Mar 14, 2018, 02:04 PM
Are we there yet ?
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-l...elays/6996241/

You can buy relays that are not much larger than an ic and you can wire and heatshrink it.
Mar 14, 2018, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
the circuit works in a similar way to your relay soloution gps.
Mar 14, 2018, 02:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGPS
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-l...elays/6996241/

You can buy relays that are not much larger than an ic and you can wire and heatshrink it.
wow! 14 x 9 x 5.6mm thats a small relay!!!!!
Mar 14, 2018, 02:08 PM
Thread OP
ok, dog grieving me and crossing his legs, walk time, back soon ha ha
Mar 14, 2018, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
so here is what im thinking about the 555.

in this circuit, i replace the relay with a transistor and can do away with the diodes as i believe from other things ive made, they are there to protect the 555 or any other circuit that has relays or similar from the inductance ?
Mar 14, 2018, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
surprised to see the 555 connected directly to the relay in this circuit, surely the relay coil would be too much for the 555?

what makes the 555 a super appealing route is i have absolutely everything i need sitting in front of me already, ive got tonnes of random electronic components in trays
Mar 14, 2018, 03:03 PM
Thread OP
I know it's not relevant with the relay part taken out but isn't that a short between the two diodes?

Quick Reply