Motor for nirvana sail control - RC Groups
Mar 13, 2018, 09:30 PM

Motor for nirvana sail control

It looks like the motor which moves the arm allowing to open or close the sails on my Nirvana is gone. It is a HDRC but has no identification numbers. Any leads on where I can find a replacement? I may also need aHDRC 2.4GHZ receiver. I am new at this and any suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe there is somewhere a listing for those parts. Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2018, 05:04 AM
Usually it is a servo, to control the sails, a high torque one. Motors are rarely available as a separate item, the servo is generally regarded as a seal for life box. The "life" in this case is the contents of the box so the servo is a module which can be replaced. Usually, the replacement cost of a servo is less than the cost of a new motor with a better chance of working.
I haven't had a Nirvana so can't be specific. Experience with a similar size boat showed that a "standard" servo wasn't up to the job, fitting a same size high torque version revealed weaknesses in the battery pack and wiring harness, but worked well.
A search for "Nirvana sail servo" should give some useful discussion threads.
Mar 16, 2018, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I went to the local rc shop and got a servo which is the same size but cannot adapt it to my system. Will check the thread you suggested.
Mar 17, 2018, 04:27 AM
What is the problem adapting?
Mar 17, 2018, 01:00 PM
Typical the issues are CONNECTOR type style ... MOST IMPORTANTLY pin / wire location within connector ... specifically the power n grd pins in their relative connector locations

Old servo connector n pins
New servo
Mar 17, 2018, 01:22 PM
No image to go off, but if the pin spacing is the same, then the standard is -
black (ground) - red (pos) - white (signal)
brown(gnd) - red (pos) - yellow (signal)

If it is just the connections in the wrong order, it is usually a simple matter to ease them out (usually a locking tab either in the moulding or on the metal receptacle) and lock them back in the required order.
If its a mechanical problem in that the existing arm does not fit the output shaft, it is common practice to make a right length arm out of ply or sheet metal and use nuts and bolts to fix it to the new servos supplied horn.
Yesterday, 09:23 PM
Yosef Sailor
Go to the Nirvana thread on page 2 of the forums. Once there, go to post 10,916 and there is a great post on adapting the Nirvana servo arm to an after market servo.

Also, on page one of the thread, there is a list with direct links of everything you need to know about your Nirvana, setup an sailing.

Yesterday, 09:47 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I was finally able to push the original arm on the outpout shaft ( I was afraid I was going to break something by forcing it).Seems to be working now. Just have to adjust the position of the arm. Thanks again.

Quick Reply