Hawkeye Firefly Micro Cam only 14g - Page 4 - RC Groups
Apr 18, 2018, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuiperJ
I installed a 5v pololu on my Firefly micro wires and made it my primary-cam for use off the main battery.

What I was hoping for:
A replacement main camera for my 50-ish gram action cameras in airplanes and quads where the lighter weight would be of benefit.

What I got:
I was disappointed to see that there doesn’t seem to be a “settings” function. The camera by default always starts in 720p mode and has to be set to 1080p every time the it was powered up. I couldn’t find a way to turn off the OSD in the main video feed. The date stamp, some weird symbols, 720p, and the red flashing icon were all taking up real-estate.

The video was smeary, just the simple act of panning the camera would display the nose of my airplane as nothing but a white blur in the video feed/recorded video. Landing became an issue with the smear-effect, individual rocks not showing up on the FPV feed and the video as a whole looked pretty bad. The image looked grey-ish/under-exposed, lacking that bold color, pop, the contrast and gradient of the Firelfy Q6.

For my purposes I found the camera too crappy to use as a main-cam and the video quality too poor to use as a secondary cam.

That’s not to say this camera doesn’t have its uses. At only 14 grams this camera falls into a viable option as a secondary cam for 100-ish mm quads like Victor K did and something that won’t break the bank if you manage to crash it.

However for anything else that can take a couple extra grams, Mobius mini at 27 grams or Runcam Split at 21 grams are going to be the better options.
Factor price into the equation. And audio quality.
Latest blog entry: 6000mAh lipo for my Taranis QX7
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2018, 10:47 PM

Video of Firefly Micro Cam qiuming mountain

Hawkeye Firefly Micro Cam Qiuming mountain (2 min 15 sec)
Apr 19, 2018, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Factor price into the equation. And audio quality.
I don't necessarily hate it. I bet in upcoming firmware updates they will patch out some of the issues such as a menu option, OSD off, more contrast, and start in 1080p instead of 720 but it was disappointing as a main-cam and I don't see them ever patching out the issue with horrible blur effect. I don't think the hardware can support it.

Audio quality doesn't matter much to me personally as a FPV pilot. I will share at most the hum of the motors taking off and then transition to music, frankly I wouldn't care much if the mic completely broke. To someone who uses this more as a traditional action cam the audio will matter.
Apr 19, 2018, 11:43 AM
Quote:
I don't necessarily hate it. I bet in upcoming firmware updates they will patch out some of the issues such as a menu option, OSD off, more contrast, and start in 1080p instead of 720 but it was disappointing as a main-cam and I don't see them ever patching out the issue with horrible blur effect. I don't think the hardware can support it.

Audio quality doesn't matter much to me personally as a FPV pilot. I will share at most the hum of the motors taking off and then transition to music, frankly I wouldn't care much if the mic completely broke. To someone who uses this more as a traditional action cam the audio will matter.
From the reviews I've seen, I pity anyone who needs this for the audio. Haha. Personally I don't need audio either. Firmware isn't going to fix the blurring from vibrations with a CMOS sensor. You have to tackle the real issue which is vibrations and unbalanced props.
Apr 24, 2018, 04:50 AM
Quote:

Hi Mate,

Could you talk something more about "horrible blur effect"?
Apr 24, 2018, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor.K
Hi Mate,

Could you talk something more about "horrible blur effect"?
It wasn't prop vibrations as day o suggested, I keep my props well balanced.

For me the issue was most noticeable when flying low to the ground. Instead of being able to see individual tree branches; for instance you can recognize a tree but it's really hard to see maybe a branch poking out above the tree until the last moment. When landing it became an issue of seeing individual rocks. I like to land fixed wing aircraft in fields and dirt roads and instead of being able to pick out the rocks from the air they blend right into the ground as you are landing, rocks represented as blurry lines instead of something to look out for.

Up high in the air it isn't necessarily an issue that might crash an airplane but it just looks weird. Just the simple act of panning the camera from left to right makes makes the nose look like a white smear both in the video feed and the recorded video.

Using this "action cam" in any matter that doesn't involve actual action however seems to work fine. Still or slow moving objects feed into the video nicely.
Apr 26, 2018, 10:18 PM

Hawkeye Firefly Micro Cam firmware update 0426

Hawkeye Firefly Micro Cam firmware update 0426

Update list:
1.Improve low light video quality
2.fixed some bugs

http://www.cnfpv.com/portal.php?mod=view&aid=87
Apr 27, 2018, 09:29 AM
Lover of scale R/C
Another couple of short flights with mine this morning on my Diatone GT-R90 micro (90mm) quadcopter.

Quick rip along my village at dawn with my palm size FPV Diatone GT-R90 (3 min 32 sec)
Apr 27, 2018, 09:06 PM
Wow! I ordered the Micro from GB on Apr-16 using Victor.K's coupon code, and got it today (11days). When I had to order a replacement OLED for my Q6, it took 3 months!
Apr 27, 2018, 10:05 PM
Maiden flight with my new FF Micro. v.0426 fw. No fancy flying. Just toolin around

FireflyMicroGoldenHour (3 min 59 sec)
Last edited by day o; Apr 27, 2018 at 10:12 PM.
Apr 28, 2018, 02:47 PM

can only get to record 1/3 flights

First flights with the camera, can only get about 1 out of 3 flights to record, the rest the camera stopped recording in flight and the file kept few seconds.
The second thing is i can't get the camera to save settings, it's only reasonable that the camera will start at 1080 and not 720, if i wanted 720 i would have bought sq12.
now every time i start, i need to stop the auto record, change to 1080 and start recording. fix it please.
Apr 28, 2018, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCklir
First flights with the camera, can only get about 1 out of 3 flights to record, the rest the camera stopped recording in flight and the file kept few seconds.
The second thing is i can't get the camera to save settings, it's only reasonable that the camera will start at 1080 and not 720, if i wanted 720 i would have bought sq12.
now every time i start, i need to stop the auto record, change to 1080 and start recording. fix it please.
I'm looking in the manual right now, and nowhere does it say there's an autorecord feature. How'd you get it to do that? The 720p default has already been brought up. Same reason as you is why my vid two posts up is in 720 instead of 1080. I thought I was in 1080, but not. Which mem card are you using and have you updated to the latest firmware?
Apr 30, 2018, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by day o
I'm looking in the manual right now, and nowhere does it say there's an autorecord feature. How'd you get it to do that? The 720p default has already been brought up. Same reason as you is why my vid two posts up is in 720 instead of 1080. I thought I was in 1080, but not. Which mem card are you using and have you updated to the latest firmware?
I have no idea why it's on auto record, it just is, starts recording 720P after powering .
I have upgraded the firmware after the first testing, hopefully it will fix some issues.
I am using sandisk ultra 32gb (class 10)
Apr 30, 2018, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by day o
mine does the same...it started after one of the updates. It autostarts in 720p and then you have to turn it off ,switch to 1080 and restart recording.

It was update 0322, the one that adds picture taking. It also adds autostart
May 05, 2018, 08:39 AM
Just another user...

SD Card stuck

While inserting the SD card, it went all the way into the case!

Anyone know how to open this thing other than with a hammer?

Quick Reply