Mar 12, 2018, 08:16 PM
Scratch building addict
Rave

Printing onto Laminating Film ... Works !!

Well after once again getting frustrated with the lousy adhesion and pain in the butt with printer decal paper. I thought I'd try printing directly onto "New Stuff" (not so new anymore) , also known as Doculam or in my case CP (very lightweight) laminating film which I have a huge lifetime supply roll..

I thought I'd tried this before and maybe I had, I have printed onto tissue paper using this same method but this is way better, way easier, way lighter.

I haven't tried printing on the top (non sticky) side but here goes, my printer is a newish cheapo Dell laser printer.

1. Cut out a piece of film slightly smaller than the 8.5x11 std size, smaller is actually better and feeds more easily, just center it.
2. Clear Tape the edges completely to cardstock paper, keep it flat so paper doesn't bend - STICKY SIDE UP-
3. Don't forget to reverse the decals horizontally on your image software, because you're printing on sticky side.
4. Size your graphics , and print.
5. Let it sit a few minutes then prepare to be amazed after you iron it on.

THATS IT !

Just can't do whites, so on my new mini p40 I used std computer paper covered with the CP for those, but the US army here is printed laminating film, I even used an actual cockpit photo to iron mine on.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2018, 08:21 PM
Scratch building addict
Not sure if or how well inkjet ink will work,? someone should give it a try and post results.

Inkjet worked fine for printing on tissue paper with this method.

Personally I'll never buy another inkjet.
Mar 13, 2018, 04:11 PM
Great idea....

I have done the ink-jet tissue paper taped to a cardboard frame thing, worked well but quite a lot of work and I never got them to be totally invisible.

I use laminating film to toughen Foamies up quite a lot.

I don't have a Laser printer (at home) so I guess I have to try it out with an ink-jet.

Work in progress.

Paul
Mar 14, 2018, 09:23 AM
The Junk Man
Please note. Others have tried to use a laser printer with laminating films and ended up with a ruined printer.

I'm glad your try was successful, but people have destroyed their printers when the laminating film melted to the fuser inside the printer.

Tom
Mar 14, 2018, 11:53 AM
treefinder
I wondered how the OP managed to not mess up the printer with the adhesive side!
Mar 14, 2018, 04:28 PM
Scratch building addict
I had zero issues with my Dell C1760nw. It's one of the cheapest color laser printers out there and you can get cheap toner , but it's just a printer, no scanning.

The adhesive side is not adhesive until you apply heat at around 250 touch it all you want - never sticks.

I can't imagine "ruining" a printer with the stuff I use, CP is the acronym from laminating warehouse bought a huge roll years ago. It's so thin and light, probably lighter than Solite but way way way easier to use. If it somehow got caught in the rollers it could be removed easy.

Just make sure you cut the film smaller than 8x11 and cover the edges completely with clear tape, today I forgot and left a few gaps and it was fine. I wouldn't try wrapping tape around the edges of the card stock.

Probably regular printer paper underneath is not such a good idea, but card stock works great.

I don't think you even have to wait more than a minute or so before ironing on.
Mar 14, 2018, 05:28 PM
I suppose you could tape a piece adhesive side DOWN and send it through your printer. If it comes out stuck to the card stock your printer's fuser is too hot.
Mar 15, 2018, 04:58 AM
Also worth a try is to tape it adhesive side down to some of the silicon-ed release backing used on large vinyl decals
Mar 18, 2018, 01:51 PM
Scratch building addict
Good idea. I was just trying to avoid the possible necessity of having to spray the ink with something like acrylic to seal it if on the outside.

Also I almost forgot to horizontally reverse my graphics last time before printing, had to snatch the thing out of the paper feed.

Quick Reply