Mar 12, 2018, 07:01 PM
Build Log

Crossbow fl-S ---Exact Scale RC Model Design, Build and 3D Sailing Project

I'm almost finished with the design and build portion of the D2 project and have decided that I will design and build an exact scale rc version of the 18.75' Crossbow foil-assist monohull keelboat to allow testing of the concept and design.
The model will be about 65" loa with an ultra narrow 8.8" beam (not including overhanging seats and the Trapeze Power Ballast System).
I've worked on the Crossbow concept since 2012 and have recently decided that I wanted to improve the design to allow two people to sail the boat as well as be able to singlehand the boat. The original concept was a singlehander featuring a Trapeze Power Ballast System and the "original" DSS foils.
More soon.....

The new version is completely different but here is some detail on the original project:
https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/crossbow-fl.43615/

Pictures showing the original concept and concept(non-sailing) model:

Last edited by DLord; Apr 21, 2018 at 03:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2018, 07:49 AM
Please tell us you plan on sailing this latest boat before building a new one?
Mar 13, 2018, 09:49 AM

"this latest boat"

Sure: I plan on sailing this latest boat before building a new one. Meanwhile, work on the design of the new boat continues........
Last edited by DLord; Mar 13, 2018 at 03:21 PM.
Mar 14, 2018, 07:53 PM

Crossbow fl-S

The new Test Model will use the D2 Trapeze Power Ballast System and possibly the same Welbourn "Q" foils:
Note-tip of foil has a 3 degrees+ twist to aid in early takeoff.......

Last edited by DLord; Mar 15, 2018 at 01:55 PM.
Apr 08, 2018, 07:54 PM

Crossbow fl-S ---Exact Scale Test Model Design, Build and Testing Project

This will be a fairly large test model at 65" LOA and should provide good results in testing-as well as being a fun model to sail. The full size version will be unique with its super skinny hull-narrower than a Zephyr or 110 with Welbourn "Q" foils capable of lifting the boat clear of the water.
For the model I'll probably be able to use the D2 foils and, maybe, the D2 light air rig.
The L/B ratio of the hull is a very skinny (for a monohull) 7.5/1 .

Zephyr 20 fter:

Quick Reply