View Poll Results: My favorite type of plane to fly is....
Electric Sailplanes 62 60.78%
Electric Airplanes 9 8.82%
Sailplanes 27 26.47%
Gas Airplanes 2 1.96%
Helicopters 2 1.96%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Nov 30, 2004, 09:09 PM
BANNED!!!
Thread OP

Nothing like electric sailplane flying...

I got in two flights with my FVK signal today. And I must tell you there is NOTHING LIKE IT. I don't have a lot of experience flying anything else besides slow and park fliers, but I can't imagine any other type of flying that will give you so much fun, with the ease that an electric sailplane does. For instance...
  • You can fly in high 20 mph winds
  • You can perform acrobatics
  • You can fly as fast as just about anything out there
  • You can thermal
  • Clean up? What clean up?
  • You can be ready to fly in five minutes or less..
  • You can piss off a lot of other pilots
  • No bungee chords or winches to set up (or take down)
  • There are more but I can't think of any...

The only thing that might be easier is HLG and you can't do that late in the evening. I tell you electric sailplanes are the shizzle...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2004, 10:51 PM
I really like flying the pulsar 2000m, but if want a real challange try a heli! The pulsar is for the days that a nice relaxing thermal is nice. The Reflex XTR sim is the third best, great for those days when it is snowing, blowing hard ,etc.
Nov 30, 2004, 11:36 PM
Upside down Miss Jane....
Electric sailplanes are the best. Radio, battery, charger, plane. Simple. No mucking around with winchs only to have the wind change as soon as you've run it out.

The only other type of flying that comes close is slope soaring. Plane, ballast and radio. Hard to beat a cool sea breeze (wind, howling gale ) overlooking the ocean on a hot summers afternoon (and man is it hot here today 42deg C)

cheers, Shawn
Dec 01, 2004, 05:58 AM
Single-task at best...
I've got to agree with most of Soho's points, but when the winter is here, and the nights are dark and long, there's a lot of quiet satisfaction to be had from messing about with bits of balsa and making a model out of sticks and fresh air.

There's even more gratification to be had from actually taking the plunge and designing your own from scratch. I've been making little WW1-ish bipes for some time now, and I've just completed my very first own-design. I've never felt a buzz quite like the one I got after the successful maiden flight!

Oh yeah, it's cheap too!

tim
Dec 01, 2004, 07:52 AM
MTT
MTT
I care about rising air !
Same here.

Before moving to Ohio in '01, all my flying was on the slope, so this flatland thermal flying was new territory to me...
After one season off flying sailplanes of the winch, and being marginally successful at it, I decided to try with electrics.
And have really come to love it.
It is a soho says, if you maintain your battery packs in a state of readiness, you are ready to go at a moment's notice, no high-start or winch to set up, etc.etc.

And if you are a beginning TD pilot with the need for lots of practice, like I was at the time, it's much easier to get the practice time with an electric then witha pure sailplane off the winch.

Michael
Dec 01, 2004, 08:59 AM
Silent Majority
I like both. But nothing beats keeping a sailplane up for even 15+ minutes. Having this pole in the "Electric Sailplanes" forum makes it a little slanted.

Bert
Dec 01, 2004, 09:10 AM
BANNED!!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
I like both. But nothing beats keeping a sailplane up for even 15+ minutes. Having this pole in the "Electric Sailplanes" forum makes it a little slanted.

Bert
yeah, I know...
Dec 01, 2004, 09:47 AM
xtc
xtc
i enjoy both pure gliders and electrics for there convience etc but im not to impressed buy the need for pilots that list pissing people off as one of there top ten reasons to fly electrics

sorry guys,but i just had to point that out

xtc
Dec 01, 2004, 09:59 AM
eflyguy
You're missing an 'all of them' category.

There's nothing like the thrill of hooking a thermal with a handlaunch..
except a slow rolling harrier in your front yard with a 3d model..
or taking that fantastic picture with your slow-stick aerial photo platform..
or getting >100mph for the first time with your speed-400 powered pylon model..
or getting your scale EDF to perform a perfect demonstration flight for the crowd..
or the first time you hover inverted with your new heli..

I could go on.
..a
Dec 01, 2004, 10:49 AM
flight999
Face it; There is nothing to beat flying.
Air is fresh and free too. Any soaring
gives you something for nothing, enjoy.

Slightly off thread, please excuse:-
Does anyone know who makes the Pulsar?
Where does it come from?
Thanks!
Dec 01, 2004, 11:44 AM
Bruce,

I am the Agent for the Pulsar in the U.K., if you need any information about price or availability give me a ring.
Last edited by Stan Rose; Dec 01, 2004 at 11:46 AM.
Dec 01, 2004, 11:49 AM
BANNED!!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtc
i enjoy both pure gliders and electrics for there convience etc but im not to impressed buy the need for pilots that list pissing people off as one of there top ten reasons to fly electrics

sorry guys,but i just had to point that out

xtc
No need to apologize. And pissing people off isn't the intent, but it inevitibly happens, ESPECIALLY at a glow field. I have seen it happen too many times.

Some guy is fighting with his motor, sun is setting he is hoping to get one 2 minute flight. I pull up fresh from work, pop in a battery pack and get 15 minutes of flying in. With that as motiviation the glow guy HAS to fly his plane, so he goes to take off and the motor cuts out. Now he is pissed at ME, because I can do it better.

It even happens at the sailplane only club. The winch gets kinked up, and NO ONE is flying. Except me, because I have electric power on myside. I invariably get a "hey that's cheating" Which really means "why don't I have an electric"

Like I said, not my intent, but it happens ALOT, and I must admit I do get a bit of pleasure from it...
Last edited by soholingo; Dec 01, 2004 at 11:51 AM.
Dec 01, 2004, 12:36 PM
Motorless Wing Nut
Of course, putting this 'poll' in the electric saliplane forum just might tend to bias the results.

Dave
Dec 01, 2004, 12:57 PM
I've got two EP sailplanes, a modified Omei and a stock Kyosho Viento. Love them both. Other great flying:

Your favorite scale electric (mine--GP Wright Flyer. Flew it on December 3, 2003. Runner up--GWS Tiger Moth (Pico).)

The Ultra Stick 60 with quad flaps and a powerful glow engine with the right propellor.

A Slow Stick, with or without a camera.

Regards to all.
Dec 01, 2004, 03:13 PM
Soho, now that you're as happy as a clam with a 2.5 meter electric it's time to expand your horizons to a bigger ship. My current favorite: a 3.7 meter Sharon Pro electric. Absolutely majestic in the air, 250 meter lauch in 15 seconds or less, nicely aerobatic, thermals great, a real "moaner" in a 45 degree dive, 3-piece wing for transport convenience. Go for it!

Quick Reply