Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Strix Goblin Goes 256 MPH! Dubbed Fastest FPV Plane in the World

The Strix Goblin from ReadyMadeRC is a popular FPV airplane with lots of mod potential. It can fly fast, slow and cover large distances with long flight times. One user put the speed to the test and was able to achieve 256MPH out of a dive. That's really fast!!!

Splash

FPV With a Need for Speed

The Strix Goblin from ReadyMadeRC is a popular FPV airplane with lots of mod potential. It can fly fast, slow and cover large distances with long flight times. One user put the speed to the test and was able to achieve 256MPH out of a dive. That's really fast!!! We're talking turbine jet category speeds here, but it's by no means anywhere close to the fastest RC planes on the planet, that honor still resides with unpowered gliders dynamic soaring (look it up!). RMRC dubs this the fastest FPV plane in the world and it is mighty impressive. Watch below to see the video.

Check out the Strix Goblin Here

Mar 13, 2018, 11:58 AM
awesome!
Mar 13, 2018, 12:58 PM
While it is an incredible achievement (and I knew he'd be the one to do it, as he had
previously gone 250+mph with a Funjet), it's probably worth noting that it required cutting
the whole back of the Goblin fuselage off and rebuilding it to accommodate a large powerful
inrunner (needed to turn the necessary high rpms on 6S).

A stock or very lightly modded Goblin is still capable of cruising at 120+mph at
only 30A (on 4S) which is pretty incredible in itself. It'll happily cruise at 60mph on
only 7A so can cover a lot of ground. Built clean and light, it'll cruise on as little as
3.5A, which means with a 4S2P 18650 LiIon pack, flights over an hour are quite easy.
Mar 13, 2018, 01:10 PM
Very nice,
respects on getting r' done.

If I drop a lead arrow from 20,000 feet with a FPV camera attached would I win the "Fastest FPV Plane in the World" award?

https://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Terminal-Velocity
Mar 13, 2018, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuiperJ
Very nice,
respects on getting r' done.

If I drop a lead arrow from 20,000 feet with a FPV camera attached would I win the "Fastest FPV Plane in the World" award?

https://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Terminal-Velocity
Are you going to have control surfaces on this arrow? Any sort of motor to allow for self-propelled flight? I'm interested in your flying arrow.
Mar 13, 2018, 01:49 PM
fly by night
thing of beauty

edging close to the limits of legal flight, lol, which is 250 knots under 10k ft (287.5mph)

(yeah I know the DS guys do it anyways. so cool)
Mar 13, 2018, 02:41 PM
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Where is the onscreen speed data coming from? Pitot pressure probe or gps?
Mar 13, 2018, 03:52 PM
He's using GPS.
Mar 13, 2018, 05:16 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
While it is an incredible achievement (and I knew he'd be the one to do it, as he had
previously gone 250+mph with a Funjet), it's probably worth noting that it required cutting
the whole back of the Goblin fuselage off and rebuilding it to accommodate a large powerful
inrunner (needed to turn the necessary high rpms on 6S).

A stock or very lightly modded Goblin is still capable of cruising at 120+mph at
only 30A (on 4S) which is pretty incredible in itself. It'll happily cruise at 60mph on
only 7A so can cover a lot of ground. Built clean and light, it'll cruise on as little as
3.5A, which means with a 4S2P 18650 LiIon pack, flights over an hour are quite easy
True, but launching it is a biotch and dips' down hard with little torque from those LiION batteries,
crashed several times until i found out that launching with Li-Po had more punch for hand launching

p.s.
cool video, its not even bobbing/wobbling at those speeds.....dayum
Mar 13, 2018, 10:00 PM
Life is short, buy the boat.
that is just straight up cool. you can hear it scream past the mic but the video makes it look like it is just putting around!
Mar 13, 2018, 10:39 PM
RCG Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobault2001
that is just straight up cool. you can hear it scream past the mic but the video makes it look like it is just putting around!
Yep the higher you are the slower you appear to travel.
Mar 14, 2018, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
True, but launching it is a biotch and dips' down hard with little torque from those LiION batteries,
crashed several times until i found out that launching with Li-Po had more punch for hand launching
Hmm, I haven't had any unusual problems launching with the 4S2P LiIon pack.
Burst current for this pack is still much higher higher than the 30A I usually see at max.
Launching with this plane is less about power or even throwing hard, and more about throwing it
dead straight (no induced yaw whatsoever).
Mar 14, 2018, 08:50 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Hmm, I haven't had any unusual problems launching with the 4S2P LiIon pack.
Burst current for this pack is still much higher higher than the 30A I usually see at max.
Launching with this plane is less about power or even throwing hard, and more about throwing it
dead straight (no induced yaw whatsoever).
I must have some weak butt Li-ION's with very low "C" ratings....
there was no thrust at 80% throttle
during hand launch...I dont have cliffs near by
for the dreaded 'dip'....
Mar 14, 2018, 09:16 AM
hey RClab,
the people on the Strix Goblin thread are using 18650GA cells. (vs UR18650NSX, or your LiCo multistar stuff)
https://www.gettitanpower.com/pages/...160w-endurance
https://www.gettitanpower.com/pages/...n-hobby-flight

I gather that these cells are different from the 18650 cells that you can buy from Banggood to put in flashlights and e-cigs.
Mar 14, 2018, 12:55 PM
15A/cell is pushing with 18650B's. The GA's can definitely take that.

Quick Reply