Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 11, 2018, 01:22 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast
Question

Vulcan (Delta) Foamie set up. RET or Elevons?

Hi gang,

This nice Delta Wing foamie followed me home from the HUGE RC Flea Market that was held in Lebanon PA yesterday. It's got a 29" wingspan and is about 31" long. The servos, motor, esc and rx were all included in the sale . And considering what I paid vs what I got, I think I got a pretty decent deal!

Anyway, it has separate elevons each with their own servo, as well as a rudder. I bound it to my DX9 with no problem and the control surfaces seem to react just fine as an RET model. The splitter that goes to the elevons is plugged into the Elevator channel and the rudder is plugged into the Rudder channel

Can you fly something like this as RET? Or should I be using Elevon mixing with this? If so, does that mean I need to switch where the servos are plugged into the Rx?
Last edited by Blacky's Boy; Mar 11, 2018 at 01:23 PM. Reason: corrected title
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2018, 01:34 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Elevons … yes !!!
Switch servos …. maybe !!! or just the wires … …. Consult your radio manual , ( or You tube) … once you get it working right it’ll be great FUN with elevons...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Mar 11, 2018, 01:49 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast

Ok, switch the servo connections

Thanks for the response. Elevon mixing it is!

So I've got the splitter going to the two servos that control the left and right elevons and another cable that goes to the rudder.

I assume that the Elevon servos should go to the Aileron channel and the Rudder goes to the Rudder channel (although from what I understand the Rudder is now redundant, right?)
Mar 11, 2018, 03:14 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Elevons is usually elevator and aileron, mixing.

I doubt it would have been very flyable with just rudder and elevator, not without some dihedral.

Ray.
Mar 11, 2018, 04:58 PM
If it flies - I want one!
If by a splitter you mean a 'Y' lead - one servo plug going to two servos - you need to get rid of it and replace with two extension leads, one for each elevon.
Or if the servo leads are long enough you may be able to plug directly into the receiver.
Then on your DX9, start in the Systems menus and set it up (Aircraft Type) with elevons (A or B, you may need to change this after testing on the bench).
The radio will allocate the channels automatically - LAL, RAL (or LEL, REL, I forget) and you can use the Monitor screen or Servo Setup screens to plug the servos into the correct port. You will have the elevons moving as ailerons with the aileron stick, and up and down with the elevator stick. If you can't get the directions all correct with a bit of servo reversing, change from Elevon A to B or vice-versa.
Rudder can stay as it is.
Enjoy your flying,
Pete
Mar 11, 2018, 05:04 PM

And CG!

Oh, and you will need the balance point set correctly for the layout. Just looking at the design, I would start maybe one or two inches ahead of the motor (move battery to achieve). Set the elevons a tad (perhaps 3mm) up at neutral, and try some glide or low power tests over the legendary long grass before 'going for it' with full grunt.
And small control throws with some exponential set will help with initial flights.
Cheers,
Pete
Mar 13, 2018, 07:24 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast

Ail when Elev moved and Elev when Ail moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem
If by a splitter you mean a 'Y' lead - one servo plug going to two servos - you need to get rid of it and replace with two extension leads, one for each elevon.
Or if the servo leads are long enough you may be able to plug directly into the receiver.
Then on your DX9, start in the Systems menus and set it up (Aircraft Type) with elevons (A or B, you may need to change this after testing on the bench).
The radio will allocate the channels automatically - LAL, RAL (or LEL, REL, I forget) and you can use the Monitor screen or Servo Setup screens to plug the servos into the correct port. You will have the elevons moving as ailerons with the aileron stick, and up and down with the elevator stick. If you can't get the directions all correct with a bit of servo reversing, change from Elevon A to B or vice-versa.
Rudder can stay as it is.
Enjoy your flying,
Pete
Pete,
I took your advise and also watched a couple videos on YouTube about elevon mixing. So tonight I gave it a shot. I swapped out the Y lead and plugged the left servo into the Aileron channel and the right servo into the Elevator channel. On my DX9 I changed the wing type to "Elevon" and fired it up. And it worked, sort of.

When I move the right stick left and right (Aileron) the elevons move up and down in sync. When I move the right stick forward and back they move like Ailerons should. So I tried Elevon B. Same thing.

By watching the Flite Test Video on Elevon mixing I got the idea to swap the servo leads. Same behavior.

So I then switched back to "Elevon" wing type. Same behavior.

So no matter what I do the Elevators act like Ailerons and the Ailerons act like Elevators. What am I missing?
Mar 13, 2018, 07:55 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast

I got it!

Nevermind! I just figured it out. Damn I'm proud of myself for actually puzzling this one out myself.

In the DX9 servo settings I needed to reverse the RAL servo. Once I did that it worked perfectly. Now when I pull back and forward on the sticks the elevons go up and down in sync. Same in Aileron mode.
Mar 14, 2018, 12:08 AM
Good one! Congratulations and go fly (after checking the CG, elevon reflex at neutral, throws and expo).
Pete
May 10, 2018, 09:37 AM
Multirotor Enthusiast

Reporting back

Just wanted to report back that after several "hard landings" and repairs this delta is flying AWESOME. I've been flying it every night this week. Once I dialed down the rates it is super easy to fly. It will go nice and slow or really take off if I give it some throttle. It flies so well that I am going to take measurements so I can produce some drawings and make another.

When I purchased this at the Flea market in Lebanon PA a couple months ago the gent who was selling it had the magazine present that featured the plans. I wish I had the presence of mind to take a photo of that article so I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel!
May 11, 2018, 01:04 AM
flyin' fool
Make sure you go into dual rates and set the elevator travel for 50 -60% to start.

Two reasons.............

1 .... You can't make the servo travel to both extremes at the same time
2 .... Flying wings require very little elevator travel.

Spektrum has the worst instructions of any radio manufacture out there. Some warn you of this and some it's preset when you choose 'elevens'.
May 11, 2018, 09:11 AM
Multirotor Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Make sure you go into dual rates and set the elevator travel for 50 -60% to start.

Two reasons.............

1 .... You can't make the servo travel to both extremes at the same time
2 .... Flying wings require very little elevator travel.

Spektrum has the worst instructions of any radio manufacture out there. Some warn you of this and some it's preset when you choose 'elevens'.
I think you might have given me this advice before because when I first set this model up I changed the travel to 50%. I don't think I could have flown it without that and the dual rates! My first crash was the result of trying to fly with my 3 way selector switch mistakenly set to "High Rates"
May 11, 2018, 11:18 AM
flyin' fool
Flying high always gets you into trouble.
May 11, 2018, 06:34 PM
Theres another thread here I thr forums that has the plans to this plane. No nead for messurements
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
Just wanted to report back that after several "hard landings" and repairs this delta is flying AWESOME. I've been flying it every night this week. Once I dialed down the rates it is super easy to fly. It will go nice and slow or really take off if I give it some throttle. It flies so well that I am going to take measurements so I can produce some drawings and make another.

When I purchased this at the Flea market in Lebanon PA a couple months ago the gent who was selling it had the magazine present that featured the plans. I wish I had the presence of mind to take a photo of that article so I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel!
May 11, 2018, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Flying high always gets you into trouble.
Sur does. Recently I club member lost his plane exactly because of this. He has altitude sensor and likes to see how high he ca go but this time it wouldnt come back down. Could be miles away

Quick Reply