Mar 10, 2018, 01:30 PM
Help!

FLAPERONS for GLIDER

Searched long and hard for ANYTHING concerning the programming and wiring diagrams USEFUL for those of us TRYING to understand how to wire the AILERONS to be used as FLAPS using the THROTTLE channel on a four channel RECEIVER.

Apparently, a DEAN's FOUR PIN connector is used to allocate for ONE SIGNAL wire of the TWO aileron servos be tied into the THROTTLE channel on the receiver (on a NON-electric motor powered glider).

BOTH AILERON servos are wired POSITIVE (red wires) "+" to "+" and NEGATIVE (black or dark wires) "--" to "--" and the individual SIGNAL WIRES (white or light wire) are connected individually to the DEAN's FOUR PIN connector. THEN? I assume, that ONE of these aileron SIGNAL WIRES connects to the THROTTLE channel of the receiver.

(TOPSKY DISSER 1.5M, JR 9503, 4 channel receiver, i.e. throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder).

PROGRAMMING for a glider as this would be MOST helpful. My JR 9503 radio (Heli) has the THREE position throttle switch/ "curve" with which everyone "talks about" but little if any useful information is available.

REFLEX, CAMBER, CRUISE, CROW and "other" glider terminologies would ALSO be helpful to understand.

(Ten years HELI and PLANKS... just getting into the Glider and DLG stuff).

The RC community's HELP would be MOST appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by luzwingnut; Today at 02:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2018, 01:35 PM
I had posted in another forum. This was a VERY helpful response that I wished to post:

"You need to use your 9503's GLID configuration instead of ACRO or HELI if you wish to use a four-channel receiver for a dual-aileron, no flaps, no motor sailplane. In the GLID configuration the channels are reallocated so that the left aileron is on channel one, the right aileron is on channel two, the elevator is on channel three and the rudder is channel four. This is done automatically when you choose GLID. There is no extra programming on your part to make it that way. You will see this allocation if you choose GLID type in the Function List and then look at the MONITOR menu.

In GLID the throttle stick controls the flaps and flaperons for the Butterfly (Crow) landing configuration. As you don't have flaps, the Butterfly setup will not be as be as effective as it would be on a full-house sailplane.

There are several ways you can control your flaperons in GLID. You could have the spoiler stick (that is what the throttle stick is called in GLID) control the flaperons full time. Push it forward for reflex or pull it back for more camber or landing. You could just use the stick for landing and use a slider for reflex/camber control.

With just flaperons I would normally recommend using the ACRO configuration as most people are more familiar with it than GLID. But using a four-channel receiver, GLID is the only way I can think of having flaperon control.

I would suggest you move this thread over to the Hand Launch forum. The people there should be more familiar with your aircraft and the best way to program your transmitter for it.

Allan"
Mar 10, 2018, 08:37 PM
luzwingnut:

I can tell you how I wire a 4-channel receiver for DLGs.

Plug the elevator and rudder servos in normally, to which ever channels you assign those functions.

You will now have to fabricate a wire harness for the ailerons. For the left aileron, any suitable servo extension will do. For the right aileron, crimp a female servo wire end onto a single wire, and make that wire as long as the extension. Plug the extension into the receiver at the output for the left aileron, and the single wire into the receiver at the signal wire output for hte right aileron. At the other end, cut off the servo extension end and solder all four wires onto a 4-pin, male connector in this order: #1 - left aileron black wire; #2 - left aileron red wire; #3 - left aileron signal wire; #4 - right aileron signal wire. You should notice that there are two empty places at the receiver output, corresponding to the "+" and "-" of the right aileron output. This is where you plug in your receiver battery. The airplane side is now done.

For the TopSky, at the wing end, install the aileron servos normally. Then, cut off the servo plugs, and strip off about 1/4 inch of insulation. Wire both left and right black wires together. Wire both left and right red wires together. Leave the signal wires separated. Solder the combined black wires to pin #1 of the female 4-pin connector. Solder the combined red wires to pin #2 of the female 4-pin connector. Solder the left aileron signal wire to pin #3 of the female 4-pin connector. Solder the right aileron signal wire to pin #4 of the female 4-pin connector. The wing side is now done.

Plug everything in. Your Dean's 4-pin connector will only allow it to go together one way.

Note that there is nothing plugged into a "throttle" channel. You must program your transmitter for Glider, which does not use throttle. Later, you will "mix" throttle into both aileron channels, as an input to exercise flaperons.

Now, follow the instructions on your radio for (as suggested by Allan) GLID.

Good luck.

Yours, Greg
Last edited by glidermang; Mar 10, 2018 at 08:45 PM.
Mar 10, 2018, 08:41 PM
luzwingnut:

Side comment on the TopSky DLG: an excellent, basic airplane for learning the DLG game. Rugged and easy to repair, despite frightening levels of damage. A good airplane to learn on, it rewards good flying, and punishes (severely) poor flying.

Yours, Greg
Mar 10, 2018, 09:59 PM
I am a "VISUAL" leaner. PLEASE advise with corrections... my "Corral Drawing" isn't so much corralled. I know that an understanding of these things will help many of those like myself, who are TRYING to get their heads around this stuff.

Will such a set-up allow the use of my "THREE POSITION SWITCH" for the various flight modes everyone talks about in the Glider community, i.e. Launch, Cruise, and Landing?

Thank you so much for those of you who are attempting to guide my learning curve into this fascinating sport.

NOTE
!!!! OMG!! LOOK what I did!!! The CORRECT "wiring" for RC servos is "GROUND, POSITIVE, and SIGNAL". (I inadvertently drew this INCORRECTLY as "POSITIVE, GROUND, and SIGNAL). !!!!
Last edited by luzwingnut; Mar 10, 2018 at 10:08 PM.
Mar 10, 2018, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang
luzwingnut:

Side comment on the TopSky DLG: an excellent, basic airplane for learning the DLG game. Rugged and easy to repair, despite frightening levels of damage. A good airplane to learn on, it rewards good flying, and punishes (severely) poor flying.

Yours, Greg
... and quite a bit cheaper in price, too! Thanks, Greg. I did a LOT of research before deciding to go with the TopSky Disser. Most folks in the GLIDER community recommend a 1.5 meter DLG to get the performance these Gliders are known for. I had originally bought a "Whip-it" and thoroughly enjoyed it; however, I did want to step-up into the 1.5m class WITHOUT having to use a fire extinguisher on my helpless bank account. 3D aircraft and/or Heli's are NOT known for their "gentle and relaxing" flying characteristics.
Mar 10, 2018, 11:00 PM
I've found THIS diagram on the "Slope" forum under the heading of: "Libelle DLG wiring tips"

It seems the author had some troubles with his Ailerons NOT working using this set-up.

I believe that IF he had swapped the throttle and aileron RECEIVER connections (and the right wires were aligned with the RECEIVERS power distribution)... it may have corrected the problem. The rest of his drawing positively reflects EXACTLY what I was trying to do with my Corral drawing posted earlier.
Mar 10, 2018, 11:13 PM
I think THIS is the diagram I am looking for (WITH an appropriate four pin plug):
Mar 11, 2018, 04:38 AM
Found this for programming the JR 9303. I have the JR 9503, but this will help getting set-up:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-JR-XP9303-A-S

The programming suggests, as did Allen in POST #2:

AILERON in RX Channel 1 AND Channel 2... for FLAPERON

Channels 3 and 4 for Elevator and Rudder.
Mar 11, 2018, 08:53 AM
Lift is where you find it.
I guess I may be a bit out of the loop on what you are trying to do, but if you have a Tx that can reassign channels (a DX9 for example) you set up your 4 channel Rx with left aileron, right aileron, elevator and rudder. The mixing to get flaperons on the throttle stick is done in the Tx. No special wiring needed.
Mar 11, 2018, 08:58 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR
I guess I may be a bit out of the loop on what you are trying to do, but if you have a Tx that can reassign channels (a DX9 for example) you set up your 4 channel Rx with left aileron, right aileron, elevator and rudder. The mixing to get flaperons on the throttle stick is done in the Tx. No special wiring needed.
9303/9503 does not do channel re-assignments.
Previous posts are correct, use glider mode and ch1 and ch2 are the two ailerons/flaperons.
Mar 11, 2018, 10:53 AM
Lift is where you find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
9303/9503 does not do channel re-assignments.
Previous posts are correct, use glider mode and ch1 and ch2 are the two ailerons/flaperons.
Yup- I'm not really familiar with JR stuff- I'm a Spektrum guy. I've been through a DX7, DX8 and have recently switched up to the DX9 which will do channel reassignment. It's a nice feature and makes things simpler. Now if Spektrum would just make a 4ch Rx with end pins...

Quick Reply