Mar 10, 2018, 10:08 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Thread OP
Video

Dynamic Soaring explained, 56minute lecture

BTD10: The 835kph Sailplane and Dynamic Soaring (56 min 0 sec)

Video presented in the above video
DYNAMIC SOARING NEW WORLD RECORD: Bruce Tebo flies 505mph at Weldon with his Kinetic 130 (3 min 51 sec)

Prettig weekend Ron
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Oct 30, 2018 at 04:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2018, 11:26 AM
Fly low, fly fast
That's maybe the third time I've watched Spencer's presentation. If you want to know how DS speeds got to 500 mph, this is essential viewing.
Mar 11, 2018, 11:37 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Thread OP
Has another version or upload of this video been posted before? I checked/searched the YT code, nv7-YM4wno8, before posting, did not find any.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Mar 11, 2018 at 11:51 AM.
Mar 11, 2018, 11:48 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
Yes but it deserved a bump.
Last edited by 1000MPH; Mar 11, 2018 at 11:53 AM.
Mar 11, 2018, 01:44 PM
Another version of the same presentation was posted before, which is why
you didn't see that exact YT video id. The 2nd video id can be found in a couple
posts from back in 2014 when it happened.

In general very little happens in the DS world that doesn't come through this forum
in short order.
Mar 15, 2018, 05:09 PM
Suspended Account
Interesting
Mar 18, 2018, 01:05 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
Thank you for posting. Spencer is a freaking rockstar

Stoked to hear about the 250mph record on the 60" Kinetic Wish I still had that plane
Mar 19, 2018, 03:46 PM
AustinTatious
Ahh, when I was watching I was hoping I got a mention for the span loading stuff one of my very few claims to fame!

How have you been King?
Mar 19, 2018, 03:48 PM
AustinTatious
I really hope someday a DS-er can make a sonic boom at shear crossing... that will be amazing.
Mar 19, 2018, 09:16 PM
Hi Austin, I totally remember you advocating span loading and you deserve full credit for the idea.

My intention with the talk was to represent the DS scene as a whole and did not mean to take personal credit for all of the innovations that lead to progress over the years. I probably could have spent the full hour giving credit where credit is due. I very much appreciate your (and many others') contributions to DS.

-Spencer
Mar 19, 2018, 10:54 PM
launch low, fly high
One of my favorite span loading memories was with one plane (I think it was Austins) that had a big chunka lead in each wingtip leading edge. The wing bent down when turning hard... very funny looking!

As to the video, just watched it myself for the first time. An excellent presentation, and really captures the enthusiasm as well as the technical effort that Spencer has put into pursuing DS.

An amazing journey Spencer, congratulations on all that you have accomplished.
Mar 20, 2018, 02:30 PM
AustinTatious
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll914
Hi Austin, I totally remember you advocating span loading and you deserve full credit for the idea.

My intention with the talk was to represent the DS scene as a whole and did not mean to take personal credit for all of the innovations that lead to progress over the years. I probably could have spent the full hour giving credit where credit is due. I very much appreciate your (and many others') contributions to DS.

-Spencer
Ohh I know Spence, hopefully my post didn't come off as a complaint! It was a great video. I really want to come out and see some modern DS. The fastest thing I have ever seen was you at Parker doing around 250.... I cant imagine how impressive double that speed it. You have done amazing things and I hope you keep at it.

I have recently changed jobs and will have more free time and money now... perhaps I need to make another trip out to Parker MT! The JW's on the local damn are a hoot, but 130 is about all we can get out of them at that location since the backside isn't very deep. We have to combat them to have any fun
Mar 20, 2018, 02:34 PM
AustinTatious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W
One of my favorite span loading memories was with one plane (I think it was Austins) that had a big chunka lead in each wingtip leading edge. The wing bent down when turning hard... very funny looking!

As to the video, just watched it myself for the first time. An excellent presentation, and really captures the enthusiasm as well as the technical effort that Spencer has put into pursuing DS.

An amazing journey Spencer, congratulations on all that you have accomplished.
haha, that was a foam Electron that I had miscalculated and put too much lead in the tips... yea, very weird to see anhedral while pulling G's.

BTW, here you are in a video just before the first (that I know of) videoed flight with a spanloaded DS ship.... You didn't seem very confident in that art hobby boar holding together!

Parker Mt. DS'ing.. Austin DS'ing an Art Hobby BOAR thats modded (1 min 50 sec)

Those are great memories for me, thank you. Lately I've been really preoccupied with Full scale gliders... I have been working up towards racing with my first race being last year. I won 1 of the 3 days ( I only flew 2) by good margin. I am getting pretty good and hope to get more racing in this season. I sure do miss the models though and I am certain they have contributed to my full scale endeavors.

There just isn't enough time in this life to do all the things I want. If there were any mountains around here I would however be a total DS junkie!
Last edited by AustinTatious; Mar 21, 2018 at 03:50 PM.
Mar 20, 2018, 07:27 PM
Brett
I have a vague memory of an RCGrouper (from the UK I think) recommending span loading for DS a really long time ago (like back when the record was closer to 200mph). His idea was rather extreme, in that it had multiple fuselages spanning the wing, presumably to hold all the ballast. I don't think he actually flew DS, but was interested in the concept.

Ah...found it! https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...imate-DS-plane
Mar 20, 2018, 09:22 PM
AustinTatious
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee
I have a vague memory of an RCGrouper (from the UK I think) recommending span loading for DS a really long time ago (like back when the record was closer to 200mph). His idea was rather extreme, in that it had multiple fuselages spanning the wing, presumably to hold all the ballast. I don't think he actually flew DS, but was interested in the concept.

Ah...found it! https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...imate-DS-plane
Yeap, great find...I remember that as well. That and my knowledge of full scale is what spurred my mind to come up with the much more practical idea of simply putting weight in the tips. The extra fuselages were unnecessary. I never claimed that I invented the idea of span loading.. only that I made it practical and proved the concept was feasible to the DS community.

Quick Reply