Aug 14, 2019, 11:44 AM
I charge my batteries in a Batt-Safe box so I have leads running into the box for power and balance. The charger mounts on the outside of the box. The connections work fine with my '620 charger. I don't remember whether I've tried connecting directly to the charger without running on the extension cables. I think I have. Maybe I need to try that again but if it makes a difference, I still won't be able to use the Q6+. I only charge in the Batt-Safe box to protect my shop during charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
Not sure what you are doing but I also have three of the Q6+ chargers and all three work just fine. I sometimes get a connection error but if I re-seat the connections to my parallel board, the problem goes away.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2019, 12:01 PM
I too charge in a metal box with a lid. My cables are short with the charger right outside the box. The cables are the ones that came on my parallel charge boards. Probably about 10 inches long. Try charging with the battery directly connected and see if it works properly.
Aug 17, 2019, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Because the charger input current from the supply does NOT equal the output current to the battery if the input voltage is larger than the battery voltage.

For 3S the max voltage is 4.2 * 3 = 12.6V Input voltage is over 19V. So 8 amps at 12.6V is about 100W which is a little over my 90W supply rating but the voltage is only that high at the end of the charge so I am really not overloading my laptop supply by much.

For 4S the max voltage is 16.8V so I can't charge at 8 amps. I charge those at 5amps. (84W)

This stuff is all approximate - the charger is not 100% efficient so my power supply wattage is slightly higher than what I calculate here but it's not that much higher.
My battery/power supply fu is very weak. I just converted a 19.5v 6.7amp Dell laptop supply.

Charging at 1c can I parallel charge six 3s 650mah batteries? At 1c that would be just under 4 amps.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Aug 17, 2019, 11:27 PM
I measured the leads I use on the Bat-Safe. My balance cord totals about 10" with the charge lead about 17". I did try a charge using the Q7+ outside the box. My balance cord was about 4" and the charge core was 15". Charging outside the box worked. Of course, I only charged one pack. Tomorrow morning, I'll try another pack or two and we'll see what happens. The wiring lengths are pretty similar so I find it hard to believe that's the problem but hey, if it works, I'll change out the wiring on the Bat-Safe and we'll see what happens. The only problem would be reducing the length of the balance wiring. But my balance wiring in the box is pretty much the same as your. I haven't tried parallel charging. I have two different parallel boards but just haven't tried it. Maybe I'll give that a try too.

Quote:
I too charge in a metal box with a lid. My cables are short with the charger right outside the box. The cables are the ones that came on my parallel charge boards. Probably about 10 inches long. Try charging with the battery directly connected and see if it works properly.
Aug 18, 2019, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8mdw
...Charging at 1c can I parallel charge six 3s 650mah batteries? At 1c that would be just under 4 amps....
Yes, that works fine. You could even charge with 2C.
Aug 18, 2019, 06:27 PM
I charged another battery outside the box with the wiring I described previously. Again, a full charge with no problems. I took another look at me charging setup in the box and I notice that my balance board in the box is plugged into an extension cord for balance boards. I wonder if that is contributing to my problem? Right now, I switched the balance boards and put the Q6+ on the box so I could try charging another battery inside the box. That's going on right now. I'd need a longer balance cord extension to be able to plug the cord directly into the balance board but I haven't seen any cords that are longer than what I have.
OK, that battery charged just fine in the box. Maybe my problem all along has been the particular balance board I've been using. Of course the one switched in is identical but there may be something that causes the Q6+ a problem with the one. we'll see how it works when I resume flying next Saturday.

Quote:
Aug 19, 2019, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNFLY
Yes, that works fine. You could even charge with 2C.
Thanks! Just recently started parallel charging with a Q6 Pro and a 400w power supply, but want to use the laptop power supply to travel with. Didn't want to stress the power supply.
Aug 19, 2019, 09:55 AM
For me, laptop power supplies work great - but limit my charging to 90W. I have a better power supply for one of my Q6+ chargers but I use the laptop supply for the other two.
Aug 19, 2019, 11:51 AM
Quote:
For me, laptop power supplies work great - but limit my charging to 90W. I have a better power supply for one of my Q6+ chargers but I use the laptop supply for the other two.
Yes I got the 400w Lantian power supply from Banggood to use at the house, but I sure don't want to throw that thing in my backpack. Laptop power supply is going to be great for traveling.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Quick Reply