Mar 09, 2018, 06:01 PM
Cliff Harvey RC Planes
Thread OP
Discussion

Spektrum AR6400LBL and 180BL motor

Hi there, I have a Spektrum AR6400LBL receiver brick and it says it's capable of 3.0-amp continuous current, 3.5-amp peak, I also have a E-flite EFLUM180BL2 motor that according to the sales page needs a 4-6A Brushless ESC , my question is will this motor be too much amp wise for the spektrum receiver brick, according to the specs it will?
What do you think?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2018, 09:29 PM
The RX and motor both appear to be in the UMX Sbach, so presumably it will work together in a scratch built. Get on Horizon.com web site to confirm this.
Mar 10, 2018, 08:33 AM
Way to much free time!
The early 2-cell bricks are rated for 3 amps. I still fly my Hyper Taxi and Gee Bee with one! The present crop is rated at 5 amps. Yes, the 180 motor can over load your brick, but this is easily remedied by under sizing the propeller. Measure the amps pulled in your future set-up and cut down the prop diameter as needed to keep it within spec!

Or, if you want/need the power, consider adding an external 6A ESC to the brick. I did this with my UMX Gee Bee and a Plush ESC run from the gear channel.
Mar 10, 2018, 04:20 PM
Cliff Harvey RC Planes
Thread OP
Thanks for the ideas, I'm still new to these small scale models, do you know what motors would keep within the 3 amp limit, adding a separate esc is one solution but I don't want to add extra weight if I can help it?
Mar 10, 2018, 06:39 PM
Hobbyking AP-03 would be perfect.
Mar 10, 2018, 08:02 PM
Closed Account
Using a GWS 4530 on 2s would probably keep the current low enough, especially if you can get some cooling to the brick. I'm not a fan of motors much under 10 grams unless the model requires the weight savings, as the leads can break easily and are not always strained relieved well, shafts not fitting tight in the bell, etc. I've had quality issues with them. Also as Corvette suggested, I now use 6A ESCs. I burned a FET on one of these LBL bricks with a UMX inrunner driving a GWS EDF30 rotor. The model now flies with a 6A ESC. Lower cost, more robust, mount 2 gram servos wherever you want them, versus being stuck on the brick, etc.
Mar 11, 2018, 03:35 PM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Harvey
Thanks for the ideas, I'm still new to these small scale models, do you know what motors would keep within the 3 amp limit, adding a separate esc is one solution but I don't want to add extra weight if I can help it?
I'm back! Sorry to be so slow but I did have a good time with indoor flying this Sunday morning. Although on one of my early flights I did have 3 mid air collisions with three different aircraft! Two airplanes and one quadcopter. Twice I was hit from behind and once we merged together equally. I left unscathed as I was flying my Hobby King Nut Ball at the time. Love the 2-cell power and EPP rubber-foam!

In my very limited experience with brushless motors I presently fly two that fit your criteria of less then 3 amps and sized for micro aircraft. Both are about 10 grams in weight, support 5-6 inch props at 18-22 watts on 2-cells, and run cool with throttle management. Both are found at HobbyKing.com.

The C10-2100KV
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/c10-micr...er-2100kv.html

The Turnigy/Hextronic 1811-2000KV
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/18-11-20...unner-10g.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...or-2000kv.html

Both motor designs having proven to be reliable but I prefer the Turnigy 1811. I actually really prefer the 1811-2900KV with GWS5030 and E-Flite UMX Pitts S-1S props because it pulls 32 watts at 8 volts and 4 amps. This is my motor of choice for almost all of my 2-cell micro planes. But they do over drive the 3A ESC that you have handy.

Curt
Mar 13, 2019, 12:57 PM
robinson727
Hi Corvette..
Thanks for the tip on mixing the gear and throt. on my little brick.. I have built a proof of concept FF of the Langley Aerodrome that flies great... now I wanted to go a little larger and needed a brushed ESC that would hack 2 8mm brushed motors.
Well done Sir !! Pics when she flies..
Mar 14, 2019, 07:59 AM
Way to much free time!
Very cool design work! Well done and thanks for sharing!

A thought for the dual 8.5mm coreless motor control is to find a discontinued Spektrum 1-cell brick from the Mosquito and/or B-17 micros. They included 2 ESC and 4 ESCs, respectively. The ESCs are simply wired in parallel so differential thrust control would not be an option.

Another possibility is to buy a small external brushed ESC such as this one for cars:
https://www.banggood.com/MicroRC-5A-...r_warehouse=CN

And simply wire your two motors in parallel or use several ESCs of this type.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply