Mar 20, 2018, 06:39 PM
Walmart has these in the Sporting Goods department alongside camping supplies. 12 in a pack for 88 cents.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2018, 03:25 PM
Thread OP
It “seems” like a bent (but not to the point of being broken) skewer is more rigid that a straight one. Anyone else find it that way?
Mar 24, 2018, 07:22 AM
Any nominally rigid material will behave like that. Initially only a small force is needed to deflect it. More force is needed to deflect it a long way, so it feels 'stiffer'. Problem is that only a little bit more force is needed to reach the stress level where it fails. I don't think I'd use this 'technique' for a spar, but 'pre-stressing' a structural component is used in the engineering world.
Apr 01, 2018, 04:37 PM
Check out this thread if you would like to- Not need a spar- https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ovement/page42
I like the smaller skewer sizes for stiffening areas of foam or repairing.. Just use a sharpened brass tube to cut the hole- slather some glue onto skewer- push into hole. I prefer the foaming gorilla glue for this. It fills all the voids in the foam as it expands.
Check "sandwich theory" on wikipedia. A foam wing core with outer skin is a composite sandwich- surprisingly strong-relatively light.
Last edited by Draggin'Tail; Apr 01, 2018 at 04:50 PM.
Jun 22, 2019, 07:26 AM
People seem to ignore the fact that aluminium is very light, very workable and very strong. Simply put a right angle bend in a length of aluminium strip and its strength is massively increased and its unwillingness to bend. It can then be glued into a thin slit in the foam.

Martin
Jun 25, 2019, 08:34 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
I have used both cf and bamboo in many of my planes and one thing that shocked me was that when I weighed a same size of cf rod to bamboo it was almost the same weight, granted the cf is 10 times stiffer tho. Bending a bamboo rod like GPW states creates a stiffer rod when it is cured, I'm guessing the arc in it aids in the stiffness. On the 32 or 36 inch bamboos if you cut them in half and glue them together....I use the old thread and epoxy method....for a dihedral wing they make a pretty stiff spar.
Jun 28, 2019, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=SirRexAlot;39349099]Head down to WalMart, those long BBQ skewers are 88 cents a dozen.

Confirmed- My local wmart has them in the camping supplies- $.88 for 12, 5mmx 36".

Can create dihedral by wrapping a wet paper towel around center- apply heat gun= steam.

Quick Reply