Manned Drone Races Are Coming

We all knew that hobby drone technology would eventually scale up into manned flight and we've already seen countless home built and commercial ventures teasing manned drone flight for personal transportation. One Australian start up has plans to take it past recreation and transportation and head straight to the races.

Splash

Would You Pilot a Flying Car?

We all knew that hobby drone technology would eventually scale up into manned flight and we've already seen countless home built and commercial ventures teasing manned drone flight for personal transportation. One Australian start up has plans to take it past recreation and transportation and head straight to the races.

The company Alauda has built prototypes of a drone called the Alauda Mark 1 Airspeeder, a manned flying race car. It looks like a futuristic Stars Wars land speeder with motors stuck on the sides, but this quadcopter drone will be capable of carrying a human to skies for an aerial race like no one has ever seen before. Plans are to host the first ever flying car race within the next couple of years, but we're a little skeptical. While the technology exists to make this work, the logistics seem like a nightmare. When you start pushing the limits, crashes and failure are guaranteed to happen. That's dangerous enough on the ground, so it will be interesting to see what safety measures they implement to protect the pilots.

Flying Car races are going to be a thing, we're just not sure it will happen within the next two years.

Mar 09, 2018, 10:23 AM
Yeah, that looks safe /sarcasm
Mar 09, 2018, 10:30 AM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandetlol
Yeah, that looks safe /sarcasm
Quidditch + mower blades. What could possibly go wrong?
Mar 09, 2018, 10:34 AM
Suspended Account
You know, if it is indeed manned. Then it is no longer a drone by current definition.
Mar 09, 2018, 10:45 AM
This will not end well.
Mar 09, 2018, 10:54 AM
Team Spektrum FPV
It must be crazy fast going backward like that! ( or the CGI folks couldn't process the fact a multicopter doesn't pitch up like that to climb, like an airplane would... )
Last edited by aaronredbaron; Mar 12, 2018 at 07:16 AM.
Mar 09, 2018, 11:26 AM
And You're Not
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
You know, if it is indeed manned. Then it is no longer a drone by current definition.
From reading some of the posts on RCGroups, you'd think every quad copter is a drone.

And I don't see how they'll be able to stuff enough batteries in that thing to fly more than a couple of minutes.
Latest blog entry: Old RC Pics for George
Mar 09, 2018, 11:40 AM
RCG Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron
It must be crazy fast going backward like that! ( or the CGI folks couldn't process the fact a multicoptert doesn't pitch up like that to climb, like an airplane would... )
Lol! I thought the same thing. So funny.
Mar 09, 2018, 11:52 AM
Somewhere I saw a video of another manned multi rotor, the pilot stood in the middle, and was surrounded by large rotors. Even tho he was in a "tub", it looked like he could potentially be thrown into the rotors if he hit something.
Last edited by Angelo; Mar 09, 2018 at 11:58 AM.
Mar 09, 2018, 11:55 AM
Found it! I was wrong about a tub, he's just out in the open! One bad landing and you're going into a cuisenart!

Hero Flyer Manned Drone Aerial Performance Uncut (1 min 42 sec)
Mar 09, 2018, 12:05 PM
Paramotor&racing MR enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
I wanted to say," nb4grammarpolice" but you guys have record response times.
Mar 09, 2018, 12:39 PM
Landing is not optional
Maybe just maybe the worst promotional video ever. Who would take this seriously after watching that?
Mar 09, 2018, 12:42 PM
I’m confused. “Manned drone”? Is the person just along for the ride with no ability to provide control input? The word drone usually means no human is inside the vehicle.
Mar 09, 2018, 12:50 PM
RCG Admin
Don't get too wrapped up in semantics guys. The word drone is there for search rankings. It actually can and does fly unmanned like a drone, but when a pilot is inside, it's flown by the pilot directly.
Mar 09, 2018, 01:03 PM
I'd walk very slowly towards that thing too...needs more human uptilt

Quick Reply