Where Customers Matter
Thread OP
Discussion

Freewing 64mm Lippisch P.15

PROJECT PAPERCLIP

Freewing 64mm Lippisch P.15
In stock now and ready to ship

INTRODUCTION

The Wright Brothers, Kelly Johnson, Willy Messerschmitt, Igor Sikorsky, R.J. Mitchell, Burt Rutan. Not every contributor to aviation history has enjoyed the same notoriety as these innovators, but Motion RC and Freewing are proud to celebrate the engineer Alexander Lippisch, the inventor of the popular Me-163 Komet. After WWII, Lippisch was brought to the USA as part of Operation Paperclip, and his work eventually contributed to aircraft such as the F-105 Thunderchief.
We are proud to recognize Lippisch and the many other lesser known inventors whose work influenced many popular aircraft throughout recent generations, by producing the world’s first RC version of the Lippisch P.15 flying wing concept jet! Envisioned by Lippisch in 1944 as a jet powered version of his innovative rocket propelled Me-163 Komet, the P.15 would have taken the Komet concept even further, utilizing a blend of all-new and reused parts from the He-162 and Bf-109. Repurposing the Bf-109’s landing gear allowed the P.15 to take off and land conventionally, compared to the rocket sled and skid landed Me-163. Optimized for affordability and easy flight behavior, our intent in developing Freewing’s 64mm ParkJet series also seeks to illuminate rare and overlooked aircraft, and the P.15 is our first in this effort! Join us in celebrating Alexander Lippisch and his innovative P.15 flying wing!

OVERVIEW

The Freewing 64mm P.15 continues the ParkJet series following the incredibly popular F-8 Crusader and F-105 Thunderchief. After two American fighter jets, we’re changing things up to spotlight the excellent characteristics of a conceptual flying wing from the Second World War. Compared to the F-8 and F-105, the P.15 is even more stable, more potentially acrobatic, and more efficient. In ideal conditions, its low wing loading can allow for ~50% longer flight times on the same battery with throttle management compared to the “turn and burn” F-8 and F-105. Aside from having a very low stall speed which will appeal to beginner pilots looking to fly slower and learn to fly an EDF, the P.15 also has lots of high speed potential for advanced pilots who are more comfortable with lighting fast rolls, snaps, and tumbles! We are thrilled with the wide flight envelope of this model and its perfect marriage balancing fidelity to a scale jet’s appearance and an RC flying wing’s all-around “easy factor”.

SETUP and OPERATION

For novice pilots wanting to learn how an EDF jet handles versus a propeller driven model aircraft of a similar size, the Freewing 64mm P.15 makes an ideal first hand launch EDF. We recommend a strong toss at 45 degrees, into the wind, at full throttle. Assembly is straightforward, and uses only two servos to minimize weight, complexity, and cost. Like the F-8 Crusader and F-105D Thunderchief, the Lippisch P.15 is is configured to be flown using a radio that supports Elevon mixing. The battery bay can also accommodate a small gyro for additional stabilization if desired. We recommend the manual’s Low Rate throws for your maiden flight. The roll rate can be very quick on High Rate, so the contrast between the light gray underside and the dark green camouflage topside helps with orientation!
Powered by an efficient 64mm 5 blade EDF fan unit, 30A ESC and 2627-4500kv brushless outrunner motor, the Freewing 64mm P.15 reaches a top speed of 116kph/72mph using a single inexpensive Admiral 3s 1100-2200 lipo battery with XT60 connector. We prefer the Admiral 3s 1800mAh for the best balance of speed, weight, and flight duration. While designed with simplified flight control surfaces and intended for hand launches and belly landing on grass runways, an optional landing gear set is sold separately for steerable operation on paved runways.

The Lippisch P.15 has never been modeled in foam PNP before, and we know you’ll be as pleased as we are with how this model flies. Own this rare model today!

Find the product here:http://bit.ly/LippischP15

Visit the Official Freewing 64mm Lippisch P.15 Discussion Thread on HobbySquawk.com for additional photos, videos, reviews, and customer Q&A. https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...ch-p-15-thread

Listen to our podcast with RC Afterhours at RCafterhours.com, Sunday 3/11/2018.

Flight Review Video:
Freewing Lippisch P.15 64mm EDf Jet - Flight Review - Motion RC (9 min 54 sec)

Build Video:
Freewing Lippisch P.15 64mm EDf Jet - Build Video - Motion RC (10 min 8 sec)

Extra Flight:
Freewing Lippisch P.15 64mm EDF Jet - Extra Flight - Motion RC (6 min 52 sec)
Last edited by MotionRC; Mar 09, 2018 at 08:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2018, 07:46 AM
Where Customers Matter
Thread OP
Alpha joined the RC Afterhours Podcast on Sunday March 11th to talk about the P.15
http://www.rcafterhours.com/027-what...by-getfpv-com/
Last edited by MotionRC; Mar 12, 2018 at 11:20 AM. Reason: updated post
Mar 09, 2018, 08:05 AM
EDF all the way!
Nice, But I'm passing.
Bob
Mar 09, 2018, 08:30 AM
AA6JB
We had this one out for flights this past weekend ... she is stupid fast! In a good way!

We have flown all three of the new FW 64mm series ...the P.15 is hands down the fastest of the three. It has a really nice, wide flight envelope.

Latest blog entry: Updated FMS 1400mm J3 Cub
Mar 09, 2018, 08:31 AM
I thought 5 blade rotors were extinct.
200mm shorter wing span than the Dynam 163.

FW is going in the wrong direction IMO.
Last edited by 4stripes; Mar 09, 2018 at 08:58 AM.
Mar 09, 2018, 08:51 AM
Your Pilot Ryan
A couple of my favorites
Mar 09, 2018, 09:02 AM
Where Customers Matter
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes
I thought 5 blade rotors were extinct.
200mm shorter wing span than the Dynam 163.

FW is going in the wrong direction IMO.
Can you elaborate on that?
Mar 09, 2018, 09:04 AM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
This should haul on a 600 watt 64mm setup. Glad I happen to have a spare Wicked 4000 KV combo tucked away
Mar 09, 2018, 09:06 AM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Any shots of the battery compartment area?
Mar 09, 2018, 09:08 AM
Where Customers Matter
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
Any shots of the battery compartment area?
Yes!

Also check the build video and the flight review video in the first post
Mar 09, 2018, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotionRC
Can you elaborate on that?
I think using old style 5 blade rotors are a mistake due to their inherent noise.
Second the P15 is very small. 200mm smaller span than a similar product (dynam ME 163 with 950mm span).
Personally it is too small to consider.
Mar 09, 2018, 09:13 AM
Where Customers Matter
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes
I think using old style 5 blade rotors are a mistake due to their inherent noise.
Second the P15 is very small. 200mm smaller span than a similar product (dynam ME 163 with 950mm span).
Personally it is too small to consider.
Oh okay, personal taste. The Dynam ME-163 and the Durafly Komet are prop driven, while this is the first EDF in the same vain, but not really comparable. You'll see in the flight video she performs excellently and sounds good too, but of course, she's not for everyone. No plane ever produced is for everyone.
Mar 09, 2018, 09:16 AM
EB-66C Team Member
The perfect complement to my Durafly Me-163 fleet....trigger pulled! And...a wonderful canvas for a custom "What If" German WWII paint scheme. Airbrush is clean and ready.
Mar 09, 2018, 09:18 AM
Where Customers Matter
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy
The perfect complement to my Durafly Me-163 fleet....trigger pulled! And...a wonderful canvas for a custom "What If" German WWII paint scheme. Airbrush is clean and ready.
We can't wait to see the scheme's people make up for this one. Let the imagination flow!
Mar 09, 2018, 09:22 AM
Will motion/FW consider making a 90mm version? It could be loosely based on the FWVenom.
That would be exciting!

Quick Reply