Mar 08, 2018, 08:20 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

s m a l l t o m b o y !

hi Guys! a new tomboy, reduced to 30" wingspan to fit my new redfin Kompish 020... thinking on FF or single channel.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2018, 08:43 PM
Thermals, Tom
I wonder if you’ve just made a Tom Thumb.
I can’t recall the wingspan
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Mar 08, 2018, 09:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211
I wonder if you’ve just made a Tom Thumb.
I can’t recall the wingspan
Hi Ryan, well, tomtumb is smaller, if remember right, is 24" and was made for the bambi. Those redfins are powerful and heavy.
Mar 08, 2018, 09:38 PM
Thermals, Tom
Well Hummingbird:

It would appear you’re right. I forgot how small it is.
Dave used to fly his indoors!

http://www.thebuildingboard.com/2009...thumb.html?m=1

Tom
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Mar 08, 2018, 09:43 PM
I had 2 TOM THUMB's with TD.010s in them............Way overpowered, but controlled with sloppy rich running and prop. on backwards...........And they never even flew backwards as someone thought they would. LOL.
Mar 08, 2018, 10:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
I had 2 TOM THUMB's with TD.010s in them............Way overpowered, but controlled with sloppy rich running and prop. on backwards...........And they never even flew backwards as someone thought they would. LOL.
Hi! i build one some years ago, with a TD 010, but... too much power! made a loop and crash to the ground!!!!!
Mar 08, 2018, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibriguitars
Hi! i build one some years ago, with a TD 010, but... too much power! made a loop and crash to the ground!!!!!
Mine flew well. Fantasticly well......One of them so well it flew away.
Mar 09, 2018, 12:34 AM
B for Bruce
For a model and engine combo like that and since I know you have the room for it I'm thinking free flight.
Mar 09, 2018, 12:36 AM
ffkiwi
The Tom Thumb has the Toyboy proportions-but has a sheet fuselage so differs a bit in visual appearance than the Tomboy. A nicer Smeed design is the Pomilio-though the plan as published is a shocking bit of drafting-full of errors. Despite that I persevered with it-and with a VA Bambi it was a joy to fly. I think a 30" version-or a 30" Tomboy would be ideal for the Kompish. AM did publish a 30" Madcap for the VA Mills-(in the late 80s or thereabouts)-so the 30" span size is about right.

Incidentally-the original Tomboy must have been horrendously overpowered with an ED Bee-even with the appalling inefficient ED plastic props of the time-I've seen them flying quite happily on the power of a DC Dart of half the capacity! Even AM more or less admits this in an oblique fashion in the article that accompanies the original Smeed 'Madcap' plan-45" span-also with an ED Bee....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Mar 09, 2018, 01:57 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Chris, I remember Vic's original Tomboy, which still exists I think.
I don't think he used the ED plastic 7¾x6 prop.
When I saw it, he was using a red KK Truflex prop, and I've been looking for one for the last 30-odd years!
Mar 09, 2018, 02:30 AM
ffkiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
Chris, I remember Vic's original Tomboy, which still exists I think.
I don't think he used the ED plastic 7¾x6 prop.
When I saw it, he was using a red KK Truflex prop, and I've been looking for one for the last 30-odd years!
I've seen relatively recent photos of Vic taken towards the end of his life [so perhaps in the past decade or thereabouts] holding the two original Tomboy prototypes-one had floats, the other the wheeled undercart-so they would have been close to 60 years old at the time...

I've seen KK Truflex props-horrible things-but certainly flexible.....probably make a good paint stirrer.......and a bad propellor

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

PS I'm thinking of doing another Pomilio with an AE .1 up front...
Mar 09, 2018, 02:57 AM
And I know why your doing another one Chris, because I remember what happened to the first one............Sad.
Mar 09, 2018, 03:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
For a model and engine combo like that and since I know you have the room for it I'm thinking free flight.
Hi Bruce! what you think about using a silly putty DT? really don´t want the typical fuse! i did a silly putty DT for my Guillows arrow with very good results.
Mar 09, 2018, 12:21 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Having seen the thermal conditions in your videos I certainly wouldn't want to fly it F/F without a reliable DT - I would go for an R/C one s used by all the top FAI free-flighters these days.
Mar 09, 2018, 02:28 PM
ffkiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
And I know why your doing another one Chris, because I remember what happened to the first one............Sad.
Aye Howard-and I 've still got the original's wing and tail-so just a fuselage is required....and now that the nice Mr Fletcher has done a full rebuild of the AE .1, I'd better familiarise myself with it before proceeding. ....people talk about CS engines being 'the only kitset engine that comes fully assembled...' well I think the same charge can be levelled at quite a few of the small AE's judging on my, fiery's and several others' experiences...!

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

Quick Reply