Still have a good film SLR or rangefinder? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Mar 08, 2018, 02:06 PM
Really?
dll932's Avatar
Discussion

Still have a good film SLR or rangefinder?


This is intriguing:

https://newatlas.com/medieros-digita...46722-76675103

I want to see if they actually deliver.
Mar 08, 2018, 02:25 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
Punkie's Avatar
Now that sounds interesting, I have a Fed that would be fun to be able to use digitally.
Mar 08, 2018, 02:30 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Zaurak3's Avatar
Thanks - I have a black-body Nikon, similar to the one pictured in the link, with a good selection of lenses.
Mar 08, 2018, 02:36 PM
Kraut
That sounds very interesting. I still have all my F1 and A1 junk and Leica stuff.
Mar 08, 2018, 02:40 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Zaurak3's Avatar
I just looked the the images in the gallery of the link, taken with the digital back. Not impressed... Am I missing something?
Mar 08, 2018, 02:40 PM
Really?
dll932's Avatar
This isn't the first time I've heard of something like this. This like looks like he really put some work into it. However, I've been burned by a few of these campaigns, mostly the product wasn't quite up to snuff. I want to see it work.

Actually one of the first DSLR's was like this:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Kodak-DCS-Pro...Only/100098202
Mar 08, 2018, 02:49 PM
Useful Idiot
Well I have a manual focus Minolta for B/W and a Dynax for colour. I don't think I'll be using the digital adapter.
Mar 08, 2018, 03:03 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3
I just looked the the images in the gallery of the link, taken with the digital back. Not impressed... Am I missing something?
Nope, you aren't!

The point of film cameras is to take advantage of the superior image quality only film can provide. I could imagine that a digital back that behaved exactly like some common films might be useful in test shots for a view camera, essentially replacing the Polaroid backs used for the same purpose. Digital "photography" is just a form of CGI.
Mar 08, 2018, 03:50 PM
Alarm Bells Softening!
Big Foot 48's Avatar
Clever, but I've gotten use to carrying my 32x zoom digital camera in my pocket and don't miss the days of the film 35mm with 200mm lens hanging around my neck on vacations. (Its still stting in the bottom of closet waiting for me to sell it to keh.com.)
Mar 08, 2018, 05:25 PM
Registered User
I’ve got my Canon AE1 that has almost zero selling value so it sits in its bag with several lenses. I refuse to give it away and won’t donate it.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Mar 08, 2018, 06:00 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Pipemajor's Avatar
Still have some Pentax bodies and a rash of lenses. I remember them advertising a bulk film back plus a digital back as options some years ago. Asahi Optical sold Pentax to Richoh and their product line has dwindled but they did release a full frame digital SLR last fall. I believe they still offer a medium format 645 in digital.

Except for the very expensive full frame digital SLRs sold today most dSLR are a APS-C format which produces a smaller image than normal. A normal 50mm for film or full frame digital is about a 35mm on a APS-C camera.

I rarely lug my photo equipment around since the camera phones have gotten very good for taking snapshots.
Mar 08, 2018, 07:18 PM
Really?
dll932's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor
Still have some Pentax bodies and a rash of lenses. I remember them advertising a bulk film back plus a digital back as options some years ago. Asahi Optical sold Pentax to Richoh and their product line has dwindled but they did release a full frame digital SLR last fall. I believe they still offer a medium format 645 in digital.

Except for the very expensive full frame digital SLRs sold today most dSLR are a APS-C format which produces a smaller image than normal. A normal 50mm for film or full frame digital is about a 35mm on a APS-C camera.

I rarely lug my photo equipment around since the camera phones have gotten very good for taking snapshots.
The most used camera these days is the iPhone.
Mar 08, 2018, 07:18 PM
Really?
dll932's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
Iíve got my Canon AE1 that has almost zero selling value so it sits in its bag with several lenses. I refuse to give it away and wonít donate it.
Depending on condition it has some value. The question is how much and to who. If nothing else, you could donate it to a school and write it off.
Mar 08, 2018, 07:20 PM
Really?
dll932's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48
Clever, but I've gotten use to carrying my 32x zoom digital camera in my pocket and don't miss the days of the film 35mm with 200mm lens hanging around my neck on vacations. (Its still stting in the bottom of closet waiting for me to sell it to keh.com.)
I still have my Nikon F2 and several lenses. I hate to give them up but don't use them. I have a full darkroom outfit too.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Anyone have a H9 Cub in the box still? or Is My tail Too Heavy? gva1956 Giant Scale Airplanes 10 Jan 07, 2016 09:14 PM
Are you still shooting film on 35mm SLR? Peter Khor Life, The Universe, and Politics 20 Jul 19, 2005 05:23 PM
How to slow down a Switchback and still have it fly good? 1987tc Parkflyers 63 Sep 07, 2004 12:03 AM