Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by RickC_RCAV8R, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 08, 2018, 01:10 PM
Waste Nothing
Discussion

RIX : Flight Hardcase (Salvage Project)

Gentlemen :

One of my mates Blaine (The Iceguy) was cleaning out his shop recently and had a couple of plastic power tool cases that were destined for the dumpster . I couldn't resist grabbing these as I had a project in mind for them . A hard shell flight case !

The first stage of preparing the case is to use a cordless drill equipped with a milling bit to carefully remove the custom tool fitting structure from the outer case itself . This makes for the maximum room possible while retaining the case's structural integrity . Once that is completed , one needs only to use a new snap sharp blade to cut up the polyEthylene foam for the case interior . The foam I used was the packing from a Quanum Chaotic quadcopter . I was interested in the section of foam that dealt with the radio . Some careful cutting and planning , glueing foam parts with rubber contact cement and trimming will yield a cusomized interior that can easily handle the radio , several LiPos and some small tools .

Note that there is a protective shield for the LiPos near the carrying handle which was cut from a plastic covered notebook page leaf . The upper edge was folded in a small bar folder to produce a nice 90 degree fold . This shield is simply slipped between the foam and the outer case to hold in place .

The whole project from start to finish chewed up about 2 hours . Although not absolutely perfect , it turned out quite well and will become my 'grab and go' flight case for travelling to the club field . A second hard case is planned for the storage of 8 to 12 LiPo batteries .

Regards to my readers and my Aussie mates . And true to my motto of 'Waste Nothing' , salvage worx ! RickC_RCAV8R
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2018, 05:11 AM
Really nice Rick! I wanna make something like that..
Mar 09, 2018, 10:12 AM
Waste Nothing
Aria :

This case worked out awesome ! Seeing that these tool cases get thrown out all the time when the tool fails , a project like this is a 'no brainer' . The most difficult part of the project is hogging out the custom webbing to free up the outer case shell . A cordless drill equipped with a milling bit makes this easy . Just have to be careful not to cut thru the outer shell .

Reusing the polyE foam packing of a commercially sold model (Quanum Chaotic) proved to be the key motivation for this . The section for the radio was very nice . The excess leftovers once cut off makes for plenty of material left for the rest of the case .

I ran out of rubber contact cement in doing a second case for a field battery charger and 8 LiPo battery storage . Will be getting more today to complete .
Mar 09, 2018, 07:51 PM
Me too, I should have some tool cases somewhere in my house..
I have 16mm black foam, will cut 3 or 4 layers with laser cutter for inner section (if I found the cases)
Mar 10, 2018, 10:54 AM
Waste Nothing
Aria :

At least you have the CO2 laser to do the cutting . I had to do my cutting with a regular knife blade . Not exactly perfect as with a laser cut , but for field ops , it will work just Ducky !
Mar 31, 2018, 03:34 PM
Waste Nothing
Showed the flight cases to my mate Frank today as we were planning to do some flying at his acreage field . Frank agrees with me that these cases would better provide protection for any equipment and make for dust / moisture resistant apps . Awesome for taking the quads along for the off road excursions with the ATVs . A super combination .

Quick Reply