Mar 11, 2018, 02:56 PM
Agree thats why I try and bring along a competition DHLG for efficient flying. Spin and throw then catch a 150 ft high thermal.

The SR22 Cirrus scimitar prop is unique looking and with a different sound should be a nice scale turbo type look. Will have to to add some K and S aluminum airfoil tubing for the exhaust ducts!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2018, 03:55 PM
Rabid Rabbit
I don't have unlimited funds so I'm hoping that al the complaints about the servos, landing gear and propellers are just rants from angry trolls.
Mar 11, 2018, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PookaHat
I don't have unlimited funds so I'm hoping that al the complaints about the servos, landing gear and propellers are just rants from angry trolls.
The rants about the servos are unfortunately true, not all of them are bad, but they don’t have a very high success rate. And nothing is wrong with the propeller, it’s just merely aesthetics. Don’t let the servos discourage you though, I have a feeling this will be a great plane. I know there have been some complaints about the piano wire gear, but as long as the gear strut covers don’t puncture the fuselage like on some previous models, I believe it should work perfectly fine.
Last edited by Wierda; Mar 11, 2018 at 04:54 PM.
Mar 11, 2018, 04:53 PM
Other than some UMX planes, I've never had a bad servo on a Horizon plane.
I currently have (9) PNP or BNF larger Horizon planes.
All of those planes have lots of flights on them.
All but 2 of those have hundred of flights, with no servo failures.
Also, I usually fly my planes pretty hard.
My Artizan gets flown very hard & all surfaces are maxed.
Last edited by Clive66; Mar 11, 2018 at 05:12 PM.
Mar 11, 2018, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
Other than some UMX planes, I've never had a bad servo on a Horizon plane.
I currently have (9) PNP or BNF larger Horizon planes.
All of those planes have lots of flights on them.
All but 2 of those have hundred of flights, with no servo failures.
Hello Clive, I believe you are an honest man. Are there any insights that you can share as to your success. Something that you may be doing differently than the rest of those who do have problems with this airplane. Thanks Rut
Last edited by Rutcrazed; Mar 11, 2018 at 05:19 PM.
Mar 11, 2018, 05:17 PM
I am really happy with all of the scale detail on this model. From the exhaust, the cockpit, to all of the small pieces like the antennas and fuel caps. The scale tundra tires look incredible too! Just like the recent Cirrus, the detail they have on this knocks it out of the park once again! Awesome job Horizon team! Keep up the good work!!!!
Latest blog entry: New look to a old plane
Mar 11, 2018, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutcrazed
Hell Clive, I believe you are an honest man. Are there any insights that you can share as to your success. Something that you may be doing differently than the rest of those who do have problems with this airplane. Thanks Rut
Hi Rutcrazed, i’m wondering if climate changes (like us here in Michigan) affect them and that’s why a lot of us have issues. Not all of the servos fail, but a good portion of them do, every plane that I’ve had with A330’s has had at least a couple of them fail.
Mar 11, 2018, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutcrazed
Hello Clive, I believe you are an honest man. Are there any insights that you can share as to your success. Something that you may be doing differently than the rest of those who do have problems with this airplane. Thanks Rut
Nothing, other than I never set a servo for more than 100% travel.
I've no reason at all to lie about this & I don't work for HH. lol
BTW, I don't have this plane, but may buy one at a later date.
Just posting my personal experience with Horizon servos.
Maybe I have been very lucky, but my luck is usually bad,
Mar 11, 2018, 05:34 PM
I'm not the pivot man
Quote:
Trolling? Not hardly. Being factual and posting about past experiences with this product line. Some people never have a problem and some do. People with a limited income to spend or new people to the hobby should be aware of possibilities and be aware that HH will generally make good on their product.

This past year HH has had a number of issues with A330 servos on some of their planes. On the UMX Timber they had issues with the linear servos on the second run ( XMAS time ) of the UMX Timber. The cause of these issues are generally not related to the person that bought the plane. Sometimes it is the SAFE/AS3X receiver was not properly installed at the factory so the purchaser of the plane will struggle to understand why their plane does not fly correctly or why it crashed. That is well documented on RCG as well.

Not bashing HH but stating possibilities based on past experience. My beef is the landing gear; past experience has shown this type of gear will spread out and fail or spread out and permit prop strikes. As they are flexible they can also drag on one side when on rough ground. For as good looking as this plane is I am dismayed about the gear choice. If I find there is fuselage support for a .40 to .60 GP Dural gear then I will buy the plane and make a landing gear mod.
Mar 11, 2018, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FusterCluck
Trolling? Not hardly. Being factual and posting about past experiences with this product line. Some people never have a problem and some do. People with a limited income to spend or new people to the hobby should be aware of possibilities and be aware that HH will generally make good on their product.
Very well put my friend
Mar 11, 2018, 06:39 PM
Rabid Rabbit
I’ve had several planes from Horizon, Hobbt King and Towerand never had a servo fail on its own. I’ve been hard on some airplanes aka abused, crashed and mutilated but never had a servo fail without my assistance.
Mar 11, 2018, 06:44 PM
I'm not the pivot man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wierda
Very well put my friend
Thank you ... I just want people to be informed consumers.
Mar 11, 2018, 06:46 PM
I'm not the pivot man
Quote:
I’ve had several planes from Horizon, Hobbt King and Towerand never had a servo fail on its own. I’ve been hard on some airplanes aka abused, crashed and mutilated but never had a servo fail without my assistance.
Most people don't but some do. What has been written is for those that do have the problem, and certainly there will be some that do. Browsing the product thread for any HH or really, any vendor will show this to be the case. The important thing is to know it happens and to know that HH generally stands behind their product.
Mar 12, 2018, 10:55 AM
rcnova
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron
Well I'm not really the right person to put that out there, I work on the manuals team. But I'll be happy to mention it to the right folks and see if we can get some info for you.

Manual is posted though, I hope it answers some of your questions. ( the cover on the manual *might just happen to look like my view of Lake Wenatchee (Washington) from my Aunt and Uncle's cabin when I was float flying off their dock.... I can't take any credit for that amazing artwork, but the concept I think I can claim )

https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EFL5350-Manual-EN.pdf

Great cover for the manual.
Question on the Manual pg 10 on CG - says "55 - 70 +/- 3mm": this does not make sense (55 to 70 is a big range, and then give a small range of +/- 3mm)?
Last edited by Nova - K; Mar 12, 2018 at 11:01 AM.
Mar 12, 2018, 11:48 AM
commit an act of aviation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova - K
Great cover for the manual.
Question on the Manual pg 10 on CG - says "55 - 70 +/- 3mm": this does not make sense (55 to 70 is a big range, and then give a small range of +/- 3mm)?
the +/- can probably go in this case, but yes, I know Chris Puckett did a lot of testing on that airplane and verified the wide CG range.

Quick Reply