Best centering no slop high torque servo? - RC Groups
Mar 07, 2018, 08:05 PM
Turbine pilot
Question

Best centering no slop high torque servo?

I've got a Extreme Flight 104" MXS I bought recently. The elevator servos that are installed are Hitec HS-7954SH with SWB 2 inch aluminum arms. They have a lot of gear slop and I've noticed they cause the elevators to flutter with faster flight. I need opinions on finding the best centering NO SLOP high torque servo.

How about the Savox SV-1270TG or Hitec HS-7950TG??? Anyone have experience with these servos or have a good recommendable servo?
Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2018, 08:19 PM
MKS servos are the best I have found. IMO, hitecs are at best a budget servo best suited for foamies and the like. I am sure to get flamed but that's my take.
Last edited by mark426; Mar 07, 2018 at 08:24 PM.
Mar 07, 2018, 08:42 PM
Turbine pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark426
MKS servos are the best I have found. IMO, hitecs are at best a budget servo best suited for foamies and the like. I am sure to get flamed but that's my take.
Only MKS servos I've used in the past were small ones on hotliners. They seemed like good quality servos in that application. I'm open to basically any servo out there. Looks like MKS has some good options. The MKS HBL380 looks like a really fast mega torque servo and is brushless too.

MKS HV777A+ also looks like a possible good pick...
Mar 08, 2018, 06:51 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
I have used the coreless MKS servos in my high end TD competition sailplanes and been very pleased. Recently I started flying 1/4 scale aero tow gliders and have tried some of the Savox standard size coreless and brushed servos, both titanium and metal geared. They appear to be very good quality, high powered and center well. We will see how durable they are, not a lot of air time on them yet. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the large MKS servos.
Mar 08, 2018, 10:51 AM
A lot of present day servos at rebranded or OEM
prices wander all over the place
A few years back I looked for replacements or my JR 8011 servos - found some 20 dollar types which were actually better !
It is impossible to tell performance by price today.
Some of the Spektrum servos were Savox and quite good.
Also some JR Sport were amazingly good.
Mar 08, 2018, 12:38 PM
Hitec HSB-9380TH. You will be unable to find the limits of this servo even in the most abusive 3DXA environments and with low current draw, constant, no-fade power output, and unmatched holding torque, its designed to take the abuse. It also has 4096 resolution and an extremely tight deadband, and a titanium geartrain for extremely long lifespan.

http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/...-servo/product

It is the servo of choice for TAS and XFC competitors like Kim Quenette:

2017 Tuscon Aerobatic Shootout Freestyle - Kim Quenette ** (4 min 45 sec)

Something you have to keep in mind with giant scale airplanes, especially those with control surfaces as big as the elevators on the EF 104" MXS, is that they have a very large amount of leverage over the servo geartrain and eventually every servo is going to find some kind of wear. Whether it's geartrain slop, bearing play, case play, or motors, nothing is going to be immune to constant and repeated abuse so a good recommendation is to stick with a servo brand that you can get support for. Hitec stands behind all of our products as best we can so if you pick a Hitec servo you can rest assured you will get support for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark426
I am genuinely curious and completely open to hearing what Hitec servos you have used in giant scale applications
Last edited by Xpress..; Mar 08, 2018 at 12:46 PM.
Mar 08, 2018, 09:08 PM
Turbine pilot
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm looking hard at the MKS and the Hitec HSB-9380TH.
Mar 09, 2018, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by setxws6
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm looking hard at the MKS and the Hitec HSB-9380TH.
Take MKS you will not be disappointed for sure. MKS380 are beasts. Savox 1270 are really good i have them, but even if it is not noticeable in flight, they have a little gear slop on center.
Mar 09, 2018, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by setxws6
If you have any questions about Hitec servos then please feel free to PM me anytime.

Quick Reply