Mar 07, 2018, 08:04 PM
Discussion

Reasonable cost multimeters?

As I get more into this hobby, I find myself work on various soldering and electrical projects (latest one involves working on the inside of a radio). But what I don't have is a good multimeter. Can anyone recommend one that would work well for the hobby and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Would something like this be good?

Sorry for posting in this forum , but I wasn't sure what the best place is for this, and since I'm working on a radio...
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2018, 08:29 PM
This one works great & very reasonable. Never had an issue with mine.

https://www.harborfreight.com/ac-dc-...ter-37772.html
Mar 08, 2018, 03:01 AM
No bounce, No play.
Either one of those look like good value for money. The HF one has more features but the auto-ranging of the other one makes it slick to use.

For most common hobby uses you can't go wrong with either one.

Pick up some extra leads with maybe pin-point ends, little hook ends that stay put so you don't have to hold them.

They both come with temperature probe. That's something I use a fair bit.

Anything like this I hunt down as many reviews as I can.
Last edited by davidmc36; Mar 08, 2018 at 03:07 AM.
Mar 08, 2018, 06:37 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
I have the Klein, it was a Christmas gift, and I really like it...it was what I wanted They both have similar features. However, the Klein has a back light and the Cen-tec has a transistor testing function. Klien makes well built quality tools, but the stand is a little flimsy. Also, I saw some reviews where the Klein was in the top five for its price range. Additionally, the Klein can withstand a 1 meter drop, according to the manual. "Horror Freight"...?
Mar 08, 2018, 08:16 AM
S.A.D. member
Depends on what features are important for you. I had a job which required me to have my own tools. After using a couple of cheap options which failed one way or another I ended up buying a $100+ MM. The main features which mattered to me were quickly and easily turn it on and off with one hand and very fast autorange measurement. It also came calibrated and certified. I have not receirtified or recalibrated it since I've bought it but I've had a chance to compare it against recently calibrated and certified MMs and it has always been spot on. This is the MM I am using almost exclusively for the hobby. You can check my blog for some of my hobby projects.

Ivan
Mar 08, 2018, 08:58 AM
I have a nice extech current clamp meter that wasn't super expensive but I use my freebie harbor freight meter almost exclusively. it doesn't auto range, but it is small so I just leave it on my desk instead of digging out the other one.

who cares if you drop it - it was free! actually I drop it all the time and it has been fine.

looks like this but is yellow:
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...ter-90899.html
Mar 08, 2018, 09:03 AM
No bounce, No play.
I think most meters that are not Dollar Store cheapos will be tight enough for hobby use.

Funny that a Blue Point I first bought failed by 2% on 3 scales so it was junk for work. Got an 87 V and never looked back. Not hobby priced though at North of $500CAD
Mar 09, 2018, 11:48 AM
I ended up going with the Klein Tools MM400. I think for now this will probably be enough. I'm not doing anything super advanced yet.

Quick Reply