Thread Tools
Sep 19, 2019, 04:11 AM
RC Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1
RoganJosh NI - Looks smooth as butter.
Thanks man! I have looked back at some of my original Hawk 5 flights and it seems even smoother. I can't say I'd recommend the board as a replacement, due to the cramped positioning of the JST-sh connectors from the FC to the ESC - but it's doable if you can't source an original Hawk Magnum F4.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2019, 02:30 AM
Registered Plane Abuser
DonJuan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoganJosh_NI
Thanks man! I have looked back at some of my original Hawk 5 flights and it seems even smoother. I can't say I'd recommend the board as a replacement, due to the cramped positioning of the JST-sh connectors from the FC to the ESC - but it's doable if you can't source an original Hawk Magnum F4.
I just bought an original F4-Magnum from EMAX. So you can get them.
Sep 24, 2019, 02:58 PM
Registered User
I've crashed to the stone camera ahead and while waiting replacement lenses i installed foxeer predator mini.
But there's no osd, i don't understand, isn't the osd between camera and vtx and replacing camera shouldn't chance anything on osd?
It worked fine with arrow.
Sep 24, 2019, 03:02 PM
Registered User
Orvo300's Avatar
It should not make a difference. Maybe the Predator is running PAL / 4:3 and your goggles are set to NTSC 16:9 and the image is getting cropped. But normally only the bottom should get cropped and you should still see rest of the picture with the OSD on it. It's just a thought ...
Sep 24, 2019, 03:10 PM
Registered User
Tried that by moving rssi to middle of screen, no effect and hdo only supports 4:3 :/
Sep 26, 2019, 08:39 PM
Registered User
Recently I started getting really bad video range with my Hawk 5. I've changed the vTx, the pigtail, and the antenna so far. I actually lifted a pad on the flight controller so that ended up getting replaced to. I squeezed in a RDQ MACH 2 as the replacement vTx and used Vcc to power it.

Went for another flight and am still getting terrible range. I've tried all the power levels of the vTx but doesn't seem to make any difference. Camera wires look okay. Image looks good until I get only so far away.

None of my other quads have any issues so I know it's not my headgear.

Anything to look for next?
Oct 15, 2019, 05:03 AM
Registered User

Black screen no osd after new vtx


I've just installed a unify pro hv vtx to my hawk 5after the old one died.. I connected the video and earth wires to the holes the original pins come from and the voltage to the vcc on fc and I'm not getting any video at all.. I've also noticed it only beeps 3 times instead of 5 on power up which I think means the fc isn't getting power, but the vtx powers from the fc, vtx powers up and my goggles find the channel I set but no video or osd.. Please help! Tia
Oct 15, 2019, 06:48 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGenerateFPV
I've just installed a unify pro hv vtx to my hawk 5after the old one died.. I connected the video and earth wires to the holes the original pins come from and the voltage to the vcc on fc and I'm not getting any video at all.. I've also noticed it only beeps 3 times instead of 5 on power up which I think means the fc isn't getting power, but the vtx powers from the fc, vtx powers up and my goggles find the channel I set but no video or osd.. Please help! Tia
Does the quad make all the tones if you unplug the unify?
Oct 15, 2019, 08:29 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benaresq
Does the quad make all the tones if you unplug the unify?
No, just the 3 beeps, it's not connecting to beta flight through usb either
Oct 15, 2019, 06:54 PM
Registered User
Sorry to say, it sounds like your FC might have died as well.
Oct 15, 2019, 11:10 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
SoloProFan's Avatar
I hear quite a lot of these electronics dying on this quad reports. Could it be that the long term quality of these Emax boards, despite the brand being massively approved of, and promoted by some high profile Youtubers, isn't that great on the long run?
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Oct 16, 2019, 12:01 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
I hear quite a lot of these electronics dying on this quad reports. Could it be that the long term quality of these Emax boards, despite the brand being massively approved of, and promoted by some high profile Youtubers, isn't that great on the long run?
Something to consider is we regularly smash quads onto the ground/obstacles. It's tough to evaluate long term reliability on stuff that is subjected constantly to abrupt decelerations. I also suspect you'll find that most BNF's issues are over reported on forums like this simply because more people are likely to be part of a post like this then to a post for each of the random components of their DIY build. So the perception is of a higher failure rate vs some random F4 FC where the failures tend not to be talked about as much.

I've hit mine so hard that one time the 4 in 1 connector partially broke and the whole stack was actually off kilter. After disassembly, resoldering, the same board is still functional. I've replaced my camera, VTX and RX with better, but all still work and are off in some other builds. I feel I got very good value out of my Hawk and have been flying it for almost 2 years. Despite many crashes and hours the motors seem smooth. I've only ever broken 1 arm.
Oct 16, 2019, 06:16 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
I hear quite a lot of these electronics dying on this quad reports. Could it be that the long term quality of these Emax boards, despite the brand being massively approved of, and promoted by some high profile Youtubers, isn't that great on the long run?
This is my first quad and I got 6 packs before the video started snowing up and not being able to see anything mid flight, I've just replaced the vtx and this has happened so I'm not overly enthusiastic about spending anymore money on it, I've got goggles, batteries, a charger, props and transmitter which are all now unusable without a quad... Does anyone have a pinout for this flight controller please? 😑
Oct 16, 2019, 06:24 AM
Registered User
All good for the pinout there's a diagram a few pages back
Oct 16, 2019, 10:32 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
SoloProFan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by notamedclosed
Something to consider is we regularly smash quads onto the ground/obstacles. It's tough to evaluate long term reliability on stuff that is subjected constantly to abrupt decelerations. I also suspect you'll find that most BNF's issues are over reported on forums like this simply because more people are likely to be part of a post like this then to a post for each of the random components of their DIY build. So the perception is of a higher failure rate vs some random F4 FC where the failures tend not to be talked about as much.

I've hit mine so hard that one time the 4 in 1 connector partially broke and the whole stack was actually off kilter. After disassembly, resoldering, the same board is still functional. I've replaced my camera, VTX and RX with better, but all still work and are off in some other builds. I feel I got very good value out of my Hawk and have been flying it for almost 2 years. Despite many crashes and hours the motors seem smooth. I've only ever broken 1 arm.

Crashes can indeed wreck anything. But I got the impression most of the recent reports were not related to crash damage. Could be we mostly hear the bad, and thus the perception is twisted.

Or, maybe all, or at least some of the failed quads were purchased from Gearbest. A while ago they had a special sale on the Hawk 5, which I believe were returned and "checked" units. So these may already have been flawed, close to DOA units, and fail much sooner than one that wasn't returned, and "checked"...


Note: I don't have direct proof that the ultra low priced Hawk 5 from the GB sale indeed have been returned and "checked/repaired" units, but there are some pointers that seem to make it an option to consider, since GB has done this in the recent past more often, sometimes by clearly listing the item as being "refurbished" as well as without being open about it, and customers simply receiving items that were clearly not new, but must have been returned products. That combined with the very low price that GB had the Hawk 5 on sale listed for, does carry a strong "if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is..." feeling with it. Just something to consider as possible explanation
Last edited by SoloProFan; Yesterday at 01:26 AM.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review EMAX NightHawk PRO 280 FPV Race Drone Review - [UnBox, Setup, Flight Test, Pros&Con] rc808hawaii FPV Racing 15 Jan 22, 2016 01:11 PM