May 22, 2018, 06:48 PM
I just noticed that in the suggested threads below this one, there are three more threads called "Brighton Boat Works" all saying similar things... There are lots of reasonable answers made in them. But, non-delivery is still non-delivery and either theft, or even potentially, fraud. A big ticket item like a boat still shouldn't take 2-3 YEARS to deliver!!!

Somebody who knows him personally should reach out and have a long chat with him. Maybe find out how many boats under he is and see if there is a way he can be helped out of the hole. And his website needs to be fixed so that items he can't immediatly deliver are shown as out of stock and not orderable. This is SUCH a simple solution to keep from getting buried.

Anyways, my personal experience with Brighton Boat Works was pretty good, other than no update emails, and a few uncomfortable weeks waiting without knowing what was going on.

Overall it sounds like the owner Tom is a good guy and providing some much-needed supplies. I don't think anyone here wants to see him fail. But communication is required before help or understanding can be given...

This really makes me want to start a thread discussing "sustainable business practices" here for our hobby. And I for one have no problem with knowing that somebody is making massive profit margins off of selling an item, when the final price is comfortable for me to pay, and I know I will get what I ordered.
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2018, 01:03 PM
The wind is free, go sailing!
Well I just ordered 4 blocks from Midwest Model Yachting which came in at over $100 CAD.

Quote:
Item Name Qty Price Total
The same order from BBW:
Quote:
Item Name Qty Price Total
So very similar prices, but Midwest had everything in stock.
I received an email confirmation of my order the same day and a notice of shipment with tracking number the next day.
That is how it is done.
May 23, 2018, 01:37 PM
Boomer1
Just a note to share my experience with Midwest Model Yachting has been spot on for all the years I've been in RC sailing. Never had any issues with their service.
Boomer
Jun 07, 2018, 08:15 PM

Bbw

I placed an order for IOM keel and rudder back in February 2017 paid with PayPal. It was a custom order and it needed four to six weeks for delivery.
Well I’m still waiting and Tom Brighton doesn’t return my calls, messages or e-mails. Very disappointed with the service.
In my opinion he is just a scammer. Stay away from that “business “.
Strongly recommend Midwest Model Yachting.
Jun 08, 2018, 08:57 AM
Order your foils (fin, fin box, bulb, and rudder) from David Creed. He makes a lot of them for boat builders in Europe. Also, Craig Smith makes great fins, ect. You can also buy them from Jelacic @ sailboatrc.com. Not cheap but high quality with good performance.
Jun 15, 2018, 11:35 AM
Yeah, the thing is he travels a lot. Orders can take many weeks to receive. I ordered some sail materal, it was defective. Along with the aformented order I received some rigging/fittings etc. It took 7 plus weeks to receive. He has got some good product but very slow to respond.....Midwest RC Sailing is a lot more responsive.
Jun 15, 2018, 12:28 PM
Boomer1
AJ
Feel free to buy from Brighton, I choose not to. I base my decision on the history of this company's lack of performance as reported by forum members.
We have not seen any response from him to dispute these reports.
We have other choices.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 16, 2018 at 10:53 AM.
May 24, 2019, 02:31 PM
Fred,
Still here. There have been some issues because of a series of deployments to the Middle East and Europe that have interrupted my side business. I am currently home recovering from surgery for a broken ankle and fibula. Not likely to deploy anywhere soon. Brighton Boat works was established to become my retirement business and the good news is that I will be retiring soon and able to turn my full attention to my “hobby business”.
Your order will ship today.
Thank you for your continued interest in Brighton Boat works.
Best Regards,
Thomas Brighton
May 24, 2019, 02:42 PM
"consumerwil"
Thanks for the update Fred. Good to know his situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsheldon
Fred,
Still here. There have been some issues because of a series of deployments to the Middle East and Europe that have interrupted my side business. I am currently home recovering from surgery for a broken ankle and fibula. Not likely to deploy anywhere soon. Brighton Boat works was established to become my retirement business and the good news is that I will be retiring soon and able to turn my full attention to my “hobby business”.
Your order will ship today.
Thank you for your continued interest in Brighton Boat works.
Best Regards,
Thomas Brighton
May 24, 2019, 03:49 PM
Boomer1
If the problems reported in the past can be addressed that would go along way to establish credibility.
May 24, 2019, 04:28 PM
Two weeks ago I ordered parts from Thomas and received them in a timely manner. He priority mailed them to me and had it in two days. He advised me of his broken ankle and I’ve wished him a speedy recovery.... Wouldn’t hesitate to order from him again, probably put another order in next month....
May 24, 2019, 04:29 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Yes. While Fred MAY get his items, (let us know if you get them, Fred, I have had the "I'll ship tomorrow myself and nothing ever arrived) what about the thousands of dollars he has taken and not delivered product?

Why the AMYA Model Yachting still accepts his full page color advertising is beyond me.
May 24, 2019, 06:17 PM
You think 1 day after ordering the sail material and it shipped is a good sign

Hi FRED
An order you recently placed on our website has had its status changed.
The status of order #2089 is now Shipped
Order Details
Order Total: $44.90 USD
Date Placed: 24th May 2019
Payment Method: PayPal
May 25, 2019, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Just a note to share my experience with Midwest Model Yachting has been spot on for all the years I've been in RC sailing. Never had any issues with their service.
Boomer
Never had any problem with Brian at Midwest. Ordered many items over the years and not a single issue. Ever.

SJ
May 25, 2019, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJunkie
Never had any problem with Brian at Midwest. Ordered many items over the years and not a single issue. Ever.

SJ
Yes, but do they sell sail material

Quick Reply