2.4Ghz vs 5.8Ghz - RC Groups
Mar 07, 2018, 10:18 AM

2.4Ghz vs 5.8Ghz

Hey guys,

I'm sure this is a basic question for most of you but I'm still new at this. Lets say I have a similar setup to most people... a 2.4Ghz radio for control, and 5.8Ghz for FPV.

I'm just wondering the range of both, and also how much do the different obstacles create interference, and how does 2.4 and 5.8GHz compare.

For example, what would a tree do to both? Would the 2.4GHz controls be less affected than the 5.8GHz video? My understanding is the lower frequency you go to, the more range you get and the less the obstacles affect you.

Ultimately, this question is to know if it would be safe to assume that as long as I have video signal on the 5.8GHz, I shouldn't loose radio control on the 2.4GHz. I'm always a bit nervous when the video gets fuzzy either because of distance, obstacles or both, that I might loose radio control.

Please consider I'm now using a screen instead of goggles (I like keeping BOTH FPV view and LOS, plus it's more "legal", especially when flying a full size quad). My ground station is nothing fancy, but I do have a small diversity module with an omni cloverleaf and a patch antenna which might make my FPV more reliable than it "should" compared to my 2.4GHz radio signal.

Last edited by Matt86; Mar 07, 2018 at 11:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2018, 08:06 AM
I work in a company working with electronics a lot. I went to ask this to my boss yesterday night. He claimed there really isn't much difference between 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz ranges. He THINKS I should always have control if I have video, just because of the quantity of data that needs to pass. If I have even just a bit of an image, it should still be PLENTY enough for the very small control frames to go through, even though I'm on omni Tx and Rx for the control and on a omni Tx and patch Rx on video! He was not 100% sure about this, but this was his feeling, I tend to believe him
Last edited by Matt86; Mar 08, 2018 at 08:13 AM.
Mar 08, 2018, 12:14 PM
What radio and receiver are you using ?

2.4ghz travels alot further than 5.8ghz up to a point depending on the output power of the transmitter. The Flysky FS-i6 for example has a 100mw output, and range tests have been reported of more the 2km+ control range.

In most scenerio's you will loose 5.8ghz video before loosing the 2.4ghz control if you are using a decent hobby grade transmitter and not a toy grade model. But also that depends on your 5.8ghz video transmitter output power. You can get a relatively weak 25mw and only get 100m before static. or a 200mw and get 500m. or a 600mw and get 1000m etc. or a powerful 2000mw and get 10's of km's until static. The latter system would out do any of the 2.4ghz systems, so other lower radio frequency systems for control are then needed for very long range.

a good hobbyist transmitter should be able to do 1km+ on it's stock antenna and output power. But the transmitter range also depends how good the receiver is, it is communicating with. And other variables like how many antenna's it has attached. Some of the smallest receivers designed primarily for micro quads only have a single antenna wire so will give less range. Maybe 100m-500m.

This is where, if your flight controller, transmitter + receiver supports it, features like RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator) come in very handy. Especially on a OSD (on screen display) in your FPV goggles or FPV screen. The RSSI display gives a value on how far or near your receiver is to the transmitter. The number on screen will get lower and lower nearer to the point of lossing the signal. So while flying you get a better idea of the range it can achieve before it failsafe's (completely loosing radio signal). or you can set your transmitter to you give an audible alarm when the signal is getting critically weaker. But not all transmitters/receivers have RSSI functionality. And not all flight controllers have an OSD.

When i first tried RSSI in my googles i discovered i had much more control range than i thought.
Last edited by Airvortex; Mar 08, 2018 at 12:44 PM.
Mar 08, 2018, 02:05 PM
Thanks for your answer! My radio is a DX6 (the DSMX version...), and the Rx is this one: https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...ProdID=SPM4648

For the video, I have a variable power VTx, I can set it to, I THINK (I would have to double check) it is 25/100/200, but it could be 25/200/600. I believe I'm on the highest setting all the time.

I have a basic ground station with a diversity module with a cloverleaf and a patch. I honestly didn't try my station yet (just in the house with an inductrix), but I've been told the patch I got is one of the best you can get. I understand it is made by hand, by a guy around my area. I got it in a package deal when I got the station. I'm not really concerned for when the quad is behind the station (behind me). it'll be on the cloverleaf, so I'm pretty darn sure my 2.4 will NEVER be a problem then. My worries are whenever I'm in front of the station... Especially if the patch is as good as I've been told. I might reach farther on the FPV... This is what makes me scared to loose control. I know I can probably go a mile before I loose the signal, but that would be LOS... with the trees and stuff... I'm not sure I will reach that far lol

Also, a question about how antennas work. Lets say we have a short range Tx and a longer range Rx (either a directional or just better omni Rx) like in the drawing attached. Which positions get signal? 1 obviously don't. but what about 2 and 3? I'm not sure. Thanks!
Last edited by Matt86; Mar 08, 2018 at 03:09 PM.
Mar 12, 2018, 10:44 AM

Quick Reply