Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 07, 2018, 01:28 AM
Question

Blinking red light, AR600

Flew my first EDF , No glitches during flight. Landed hot to be safe and rolled about 200 feet past myself.
Tried to turn plane around to taxi back and plane would not respond, nothing. I walked down to get it and when I got to the plane, everything was working. I checked Rx and had a single red light flash then pause.
Talked with our only other EDF flyer and he said it happens once in a while to him but if he holds his Tx above his head he can reestablish contact and taxi back.
I went out today to test this theory and taxied long and at about 200 feet plane went dead. I walked down, checked Rx and again single flash the pause of the red light.
I stayed where I was and taxied the plane back to where I started with same results. I walked back to the plane at original starting point then repeated test this time going the other direction with same results.
I did not disconnect the battery at any time during this test and by the time I taxied back to the pits the red light was flashing seven times then pause.
Any thoughts about WHY this happens?
My Tx is a DX9
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2018, 04:29 AM
The red LED indicates holds. So you had seven holds.

Why is this happening? What an underground? How are the antennas of the receiver aligned? Shadowing by battery or drive? Coax cable bent (long antenna).
Do a range test.
Last edited by Kambalunga; Mar 07, 2018 at 04:35 AM.
Mar 07, 2018, 04:38 AM
No bounce, No play.
Poor Rx location plus close to ground can equal loss of reception.
Mar 07, 2018, 09:16 AM
The EDF is a Tornado Viper 75 and the Rx goes on the wood tray just behind the nose wheel. The long antenna runs along the inside of the fuse towards the rear of the fuse next to the battery.
I had no glitches in the air and just want to make sure it is safe to fly.
I will do a range check before I fly it again.
Thanks for your input.
Mar 07, 2018, 10:33 AM
No bounce, No play.
The little black bulge is clear of battery? Like you run past tge battery or is it right next to it?
Mar 07, 2018, 10:34 AM
Got photos of the installation?

Andy
Mar 07, 2018, 11:48 AM
You can see the antenna taped along the edge just below where the canopy sits and the black pad where the battery sits.
Mar 07, 2018, 11:57 AM
Antenna is getting shadowed by the battery. That's why you lost signal on the ground.

Andy
Mar 07, 2018, 12:13 PM
My concern is, am I ok in the air?
On a jet I see no other way or place to run the antenna.
Mar 07, 2018, 01:19 PM
Simple answer, No.
Mar 07, 2018, 01:25 PM
Wow. How far does the antenna need to be from a battery for it not to lose signal? Is this specified on the manual?
Mar 07, 2018, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gva1956
My concern is, am I ok in the air?
On a jet I see no other way or place to run the antenna.
If you pretend that the foam and wood is clear but things like servos, motors, batteries, retracts, etc are not, then to be safe you need to be able to visually see the active portion of at least one antenna (the last 31mm) from any angle, preferably looking at the side (31mm) of the antenna and not the end (little dot).

Additionally, putting an antenna against a metal surface like a battery or carbon fiber renders that antenna virtually useless. To have minimal effect the antenna needs to be a full wavelength (about 6") away.

Andy
Mar 07, 2018, 02:18 PM
Then how do you route an antenna in a jet?
The only thought I have is to take it straight out the bottom and then run it along the bottom of the fuse.

The photo is of my Yak 130 which I have not as yet flown. Is the satellite Rx placed better for great reception?
Mar 07, 2018, 02:36 PM
Nice install there!

You do it the same way in a jet that you do it in ANY OTHER plane. You get it away from things that cause RF shadows.

Andy
Mar 07, 2018, 07:22 PM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gva1956
You can see the antenna taped along the edge just below where the canopy sits and the black pad where the battery sits.
Run the long antenna towards the nose - to the right on the picture.

Quick Reply