May 15, 2019, 04:21 PM
Thread OP
Just about got the rear area of the wing fillets done, AND make the left and right match. The 3 tools used for this shaping are 60 grit sand paper, Craftsman 7/8 and 17mm deep sockets. The fullsize aircraft has a quite different airfoil at the root so some artistic license is required to shape the fillets, when the wings are attached everything looks very close to scale. This kind of sanding is my favorite thing to do, just love shaping, maybe I should have shaped surfboards? Although I prefer more exotic shapes.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2019, 08:47 AM
Well done! looks nice indeed.
I am shaping a cowl now...More difficult or maybe more exotic, but still...
NoŽl
May 22, 2019, 10:54 PM
Thread OP
The knuckle hinging of the ailerons, the pencil drawing on one of the ailerons sort of explains the fit of the parts. The front portion where the wire runs through was shaped before being attached to the aileron. Once it’s attached I will make a few notches in the ailerons and install several g-10 hinges along its length.
Last edited by s2000; May 22, 2019 at 11:01 PM.
May 23, 2019, 06:47 AM
Thatís nice and slick!
May 27, 2019, 12:45 PM
Summit Model Aeronautics
Wow, what an ambitious build! Looks great, too.

For future reference, I've cut quite a few custom rib sets for customers in the past. I use a 3D CAD program called WingHelper that's inexpensive and easy to use. With just root and tip airfoil and details like spar number and placement, I can work up a free quote to cut a rib set in about a week. I use a CNC cutter with 1/32" bits, so parts are precise and lack the burnt edges of laser cutting.

I'd be glad to work up a quote for your next project.

Steve
Jun 11, 2019, 01:38 PM
Thread OP
Making some little bits, aluminum aileron horns, and aileron hinge pieces. Reason I use aluminum is they remove easily holding a solder iron on them, I’ll install them temporarily but when I get ready to cover I’ll heat them to remove, it’s easier to cover without them jutting out. Edit. I built the wingtips out of 2 layers of lite ply, with carbon,1/32 ply, carbon and 1/32 ply on each side, after they were built I decided to cut off the front portion and use jelutong as I try to save weight wherever possible, this is the what you see in the wing tip photos. The tips will be primered and painted. I may work just a little more on shaping the tips, but think they are very close. Only 70 ASK-14s were built, and most have all sort of different tip shapes, I chose one with wheels since I will fly off asphalt, concrete, dirt and grass.
Last edited by s2000; Jun 11, 2019 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply