This thread is privately moderated by Prof100, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 06, 2018, 09:56 PM
Discussion

Eachine EV800 goggles upgraded with a DVR & Focus Spacer

EV800 upgraded with a DVR using the $15 Eachine ProDVR.
I finally added the Eachine ProDVR to the EV800. It requires some soldering skills using a fine tip soldering iron and rosin core solder; a No. 1 Philips screwdriver; and a review of the Youtube video that describes what to do. Four wires are soldered to the board — ground, video, audio, and power. Below is the Albert Kim how to video. Note that he has updated the Youtube page that states the 3.7 volt on board battery is sufficient to power the ProDVR. He also pops out the LED indicator to feed the wires to the board. I liked the LED indicator and opted to drill a hole.

Eachine EV800 Goggles DVR Mod (6 min 45 sec)

Background
Both were purchased over a year ago. And I finally got around to the installation. While the ProDVR says it needs 5v input it operates well with 3.7. Do not exceed 5volts because you will burn it out. Use a filtered in line voltage regulator to step down voltage for 2s and greater battery voltage. In early versions were supposed to permit HD video recording but they forgot to program it in the firmware. More about fixing this in the last paragraph of this post. Newer versions may have the firmware update but I doubt it.

Taking advantage of user selectable video quality
It took more time to set the recording resolution to HD versus the default VGA than to physically wire and install the DVR. Why so long? Answer is simple. The manual was wrong. Manual said to quick press the right arrow button. All that did was record video. The correct procedure is to first place the EV800 in AV mode (blue screen) to access DVR setup. You then press and hold the center button on the DVR. I searched YouTube for the how to and watched a video where the presenter was initializing setup mode. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME! It took me about a half an hour to solder the wires and mount the DVR.

FIRMWARE UPDATE NEEDED TO RECORD IN HD
I also upgraded the firmware which is easily downloadable from Bang Good. Just download to the root of a microcard and then plug into ProDVR. Power up and the LED flashes then stops. Cycle DVR power then go into the setup menu and adjust video format to HD. I (and you) can now record in HD.

1.75” FOCUS SPACER

Thingiverse offers a free 3D printer file to 3D print a spacer. I had two made. One is the standard 1.375” and a second that 1.75”. My old eyes need corrective lenses for viewing up close. The function of the focus spacer is to increase the distance between the fresnel lens and the screen thereby improving focus. I use the 1.375” spacer on EV800D and the 1.75” version on the EV800 goggles. Optics are slightly different between the EV800 and the EV800D.

EV800 bands
Only A, B, E, F and Raceband are available.
Last edited by Prof100; May 07, 2018 at 01:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply