Mar 06, 2018, 07:37 PM
Discussion

Could Flite Test be a CBO in the eyes of FAA?

With AMA's declining membership and pathetic outreach programs, can we push the idea of Flite Test being the next CBO for the younger generation of modelers/flyers?

I feel AMA should stick with planes + helis and shrink to sub-50K members. They can also avoid drone drama and let other better organizations like MultiGP handle quads. How does FAA recognize what is a CBO? Is FT already considered one?

Some notes about Flite Test.
  • Crowdfunded $300K in a month for their flying field and still going up. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...orld-of-flight
  • Have 808K YouTube subscribers, hundreds of thousands of fans (130K likes alone on FB), a very active FB group of 16K members.
  • A STEM program for youth. https://www.ftstem.com/
  • Flite Fests are well attended (larger number of pilots than most AMA events) full of kids/families. The average age at AMA events is at least three decades higher.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2018, 07:40 PM
I think a big factor in the answer to this question is... does Flite Test WANT to become a CBO? I have no doubt that they could put together whatever was needed to be recognized as such but is that something they would even be interested in?
Mar 06, 2018, 07:52 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
FAA has said they don't recognize CBO's or keep a list of them. If you want to cite Flite Test as your CBO in the unlikely situation that you would ever be asked, FAA doesn't seem likely to object.
Mar 06, 2018, 09:05 PM
I'm not the pivot man
They will first have to establish flight and safety guidelines. As well they would probably need to establish a database of users and have a e-card that shows the persons registration that can be printed out. The e-card would simply show the person has read and agreed to the safety rules of the FliteTest CBO.

And all of that would be free, no charge to the person registering.
Mar 06, 2018, 09:53 PM
Closed Account
I asked that on the You Tube , video when they first mentioned their new Flite Test endeavors, I got no reply

but right now i assume they want to make enough money to get everything organized and lined out

maybe in a couple years they might address that
Mar 06, 2018, 10:03 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmors
I think a big factor in the answer to this question is... does Flite Test WANT to become a CBO? I have no doubt that they could put together whatever was needed to be recognized as such but is that something they would even be interested in?
That's a very good question. I don't see much sense in any potential CBO making whatever investment may be required to become one until after the requirement for adhering to the rules/terms of a CBO is firmly established.
Mar 07, 2018, 05:18 AM
Suspended Account
Key element for a CBO is it's Not-for-Profit status. Anyone know if they are or not? Please don't speculate.
Mar 07, 2018, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmors
Because their events are so big (well attended) they might want to become a CBO and offer Park Pilot-type of insurance to reduce liability and offer their fans/members coverage during non-events. Just spitballing.
Mar 07, 2018, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
Key element for a CBO is it's Not-for-Profit status. Anyone know if they are or not? Please don't speculate.
No idea.

I do know they are a Christian "organization" (as much as you could say of Hobby Lobby or Chick-Fil-A) as they have Sunday service at their events but don't actively promote this fact.

Also where is the requirement that the CBO be not for profit? I'm reading various FAA articles and only see "“nationwide community-based organization" defined as per 336. Nothing says anything about NFP.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Sec_331_336_UAS.pdf
Last edited by voxel; Mar 07, 2018 at 05:42 AM.
Mar 07, 2018, 06:32 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel
No idea.

I do know they are a Christian "organization" (as much as you could say of Hobby Lobby or Chick-Fil-A) as they have Sunday service at their events but don't actively promote this fact.

Also where is the requirement that the CBO be not for profit? I'm reading various FAA articles and only see "“nationwide community-based organization" defined as per 336. Nothing says anything about NFP.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Sec_331_336_UAS.pdf
According to 20 USCS § 7801(6), the term “community-based organization” means “a public or private nonprofit organization of demonstrated effectiveness that--
(A) is representative of a community or significant segments of a community; and
(B) provides educational or related services to individuals in the community.”

https://definitions.uslegal.com/c/co...-organization/
Mar 07, 2018, 11:16 AM
Lost Realist
When 336 dies, and it will, so will the importance of CBOs.
Mar 07, 2018, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyonNightroad
If it dies it will more likely be because some one has determined the whole issue of regulating small recreational sUAV is BS. Otherwise it or something like it will be around, just may be looser or tighter than it is now.
Mar 07, 2018, 12:05 PM
I think it's a worthy proposition. As of now Flight Test requires AMA membership to fly at one of their events. I suspect with their large youth following they feel it would be difficult to compete with the AMA free youth membership. On the other hand they must have a significant adult following in order to raise money as fast as they have. It all boils down to whether they want it bad enough to jump through the hoops. Lots of emails flooding their inbox suggesting dissatisfaction with their AMA event requirement could certainly perk their interest.
Mar 07, 2018, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
https://www.laureninternational.com/...ies/flite-test

This is their parent company. I've been following FliteTest for years and have never heard them mention being a non-profit. The answer to this question should be on that site. I'll look through it more later today.

Maybe they could create a separate organization that would be a non-profit in order to qualify.
Mar 07, 2018, 12:16 PM
KAVANAUGH 2024
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyonNightroad
When 336 goes, so will rc flying.Won't need cbo.

Quick Reply