Nov 29, 2004, 10:00 PM
Thread OP

Peter Rake - EIII PR Kits - Build

For those interested in Peter Rakes EIII kit. Please keep an Eye on this space, I have just started the EIII build and will be posting pictures as I go. As soon as I can figure out how to post my pictures here as they are 1 meg each . I have just completed the wings.

Dave
Last edited by midavide; Nov 29, 2004 at 10:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2004, 03:13 AM
Single-task at best...
Dave,

Bring on the pics!

There's guide to posting pics here;

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242244

Resizing pics to 500 pixels along their longest dimension (at a resolution of 72 ppi to suit the monitor) gives a file size of around 50kb at a medium sort of jpeg. Works for me!

tim
Dec 02, 2004, 08:51 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info Tim, I am using Pix Resizer to shrink my pictures. Here are my finished wings. I just need to add the rigging blocks

Dave
Dec 02, 2004, 09:12 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
48"?
Dec 03, 2004, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wufnu
48"?
Smaller at 35 1/2" for a geared 280 or similar.

Check out some of the other builds on here.

Here's mine.......
Dec 03, 2004, 09:56 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Was just wondering which one it was.
Dec 04, 2004, 03:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLaird

Here's mine.......

Hi Benny, What pilot are you using in your EIII?

Thx

Dave
Dec 04, 2004, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure as I can't find the instruction sheet. Peter supplied it for me so I'll have to ask him.

It is a vac formed 2 part pilot which weighs hardly anything. Also comes in many sizes.

I'll see if I can find out some more for you as I have a few more here.
Dec 04, 2004, 05:50 PM
Thread OP
Guys, Notice in this picture I am attempting to round off the leading edge balsa to create a better airfoil. I have also notched the leading edge to acheive the same.

Dave
Dec 04, 2004, 05:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim hooper
Dave,

Bring on the pics!

There's guide to posting pics here;

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242244

Resizing pics to 500 pixels along their longest dimension (at a resolution of 72 ppi to suit the monitor) gives a file size of around 50kb at a medium sort of jpeg. Works for me!

tim

Thanks Tim for your comments, It's really helped me out!

Dave
Dec 04, 2004, 05:56 PM
here's a pic of him. Would be better if I could paint them properly

Sorry having probs sizing. Have to load Photoshop again as I've only just rebuilt this computer....
Last edited by BennyLaird; Dec 04, 2004 at 06:04 PM.
Dec 04, 2004, 06:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:

Here's mine.......
Hi Benny, Thanks for the Pilot info, the Gillows pilots that come in their kit might be the best option, as they are light and to scale. I guess you are using a 280 size motor with gearbox in yours? I have a razor 350 and GWS stick style gearbox that I was thinking of installing, but thats a little over powered for what I want. This plane will be good on summer days and would -most times - be a hangar(hang her) queen in my basement!

Dave
Last edited by midavide; Dec 04, 2004 at 06:19 PM.
Dec 04, 2004, 06:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
here's a pic of him. Would be better if I could paint them properly

Sorry having probs sizing. Have to load Photoshop again as I've only just rebuilt this computer....
Hi Benny and others. Would you happen to have any build pics of the balsa structure?(anything would do) I am having difficulty figuring out the rudder setup, especially laminating the two peices of strip balsa? how is this laminated? side by side or stacked? (logic would say stacked) Would it be better to use a harder material such as Basswood?(can this be formed) in case the plane flips? Top of the rudder always has to be solid material in my experience... Dave
Dec 04, 2004, 07:36 PM
I have done a build thread here.

http://www.skunkworxrc.rchomepage.co...wtopic.php?t=5

It's our Aussie forum please join in the fun there.

Some more pics here:

http://electrifly.uk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407

http://electrifly.uk.com/forum/showt...highlight=eiii

The strip is soaked in water just to wet it then some pva is used to join the pieces together on their wide sides. You then pin one end either side of the balsa at the start and work your way around. The join will slip as you go. Let it overhang and trim later after it has fully dried. Laminating is a great way to may these shapes and they are so strong. The N28 wingtips are done the same way and the landing skid on the Avro are done with 1/64 ply making it laminated laminates???? LOL
Last edited by BennyLaird; Dec 04, 2004 at 07:43 PM.
Dec 04, 2004, 07:55 PM
Found a pic but I need my photo editing software still, sorry.

Quick Reply