1/6th Scale PSS Henschel Hs P.87 (Canard) Scratch Build - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 15, 2018, 12:28 AM
Crafter of flying plugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeiron
Michael V told me to check out Fusion 360 recently. I've been playing with it for a couple of weeks. I'm a total noob to 3D cad, but it seems to be pretty intuitive and lots of people using it, so easy to find answers by googling.

Awesome work, Owen! Wish I had you cad skills.
All it takes is practice, and don't forget youtube! You should be able to find at least a few videos on what ever operation you are trying to do.

I don't know how many times I sat down and tried to produce something useful and failed (over a 4 year period). Getting the laser cutter was the motivation to ride out the learning curve until I can get comething useful out of it.

The first usefull thing was the T-37. Formers were just copied from a 3-view and the internal structure modeled. Not a lot in the way of checking it would fit within the bounds of the fuse as it was not modeled anywhere other than where I could just loft it.

Next useful thing was the HFB-320. Basic fuse surfacing. Formers could be placed where they were needed, not just where the cross sections go on the 3-view. Assumming you have cross sections available.

And now I am on the P.87 producing the surface model took most of the time. It took weeks and I have 60 versions of it . It was only a few days to model the internal structure.

What didn't make it out of CAD was an MXY-11 Ohka (several attempts), A-6 Prowler, Large scale L-159 Alca and a petrol powered Aerostar, but they were all stepping stones. Ohkas were practice for the T-37, A-6 and L-159 contributed to the HFB-320 and the Aerostar to this project. This is also why I don't start a thread until I have the model done

I tried Fusion the othe night. I felt so lost I know what I want to do I just have to find where they hide to tools!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2018, 01:10 AM
Hold my beer and watch this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Hedger
I tried Fusion the othe night. I felt so lost I know what I want to do I just have to find where they hide to tools!
Thats how I felt when I tried to use it. I came from mainly using an odd ball CAD software (Alibre/Geomagic) and last year I switched our company over to Solidworks. The one big reason for us going to Solidworks was for PDM and being able to have some sort of file management. Its been a pain, but long term will benefit us. We should have done it years ago.

Incredible CAD work by the way! Looking forward to seeing more of the build!
Mar 15, 2018, 03:33 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
I'm playing with fusion now, seems fairly straight forward. Most of the palette is obtained by right click on a surface or face ,after of course setting the origin and selecting the the starting plane to sketch the first component , I have to say I'm liking it , sort of similar to Catia 5 in layout Thanks for the suggestion Owen
Mar 15, 2018, 08:56 PM
Crafter of flying plugs
I was worried that perhaps you have just been doing direct surface manipluation with CATIA and not had much to do witht he parametric modeling side. Granted that doesnt seem like a good idea for aerospace but you never know.

Looking forward to 'big' things from you now
Mar 15, 2018, 11:07 PM
Its been awhile Owen I need time to regain lost skills
Mar 19, 2018, 06:34 AM
Living on the Dark Side.
Great progress Owen. It looks a bit like a Klingon battle cruiser, haha.
Mar 19, 2018, 01:55 PM
Looks great Owen , I am having trouble getting any answers out of the Fusion 360 people ,they just don't respond
Mar 19, 2018, 03:12 PM
Wow, I just checked my email and suddenly had an answer from Fusion ,they must have heard me post here ,that's scary
Mar 19, 2018, 04:54 PM
Aerotow and sloping Holland
That is some progress you made there. I thought I was fast. 😁😁

Looks spectacular and I can't wait to see the finished plane
Mar 19, 2018, 09:12 PM
Crafter of flying plugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaartenX
That is some progress you made there. I thought I was fast. 😁😁

Looks spectacular and I can't wait to see the finished plane
You are fast but I have a list of things to get done by September. I have adopted a get in and get it done attitude. I have had enough practice with this type of build. During the CAD work is where most of the expected issues are resolved.

If I can get the glass on by the end of the month I will have caught up and passed the T-37 timeline which is a start, and I will have some warmer weather to get the sanding done in.

Not too much wind forecast for this afternoon so I will get on the foam sanding this afternoon
Mar 25, 2018, 06:05 AM
Living on the Dark Side.
That blended centre wing join has really sweet curves Owen. It s looking great.

Is that the biggest part of the build done now? What do you envisage the flying weight might be?
Mar 25, 2018, 04:11 PM
Aerotow and sloping Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarcher
+ 1 on that.
Excellent work Owen. Keep the momentum :-)
Mar 25, 2018, 05:42 PM
Crafter of flying plugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarcher

Is that the biggest part of the build done now? What do you envisage the flying weight might be?
Good question. I thought it mighjt be fairly light but the volume and surface area are adding weight quickly. The first top layer added 400g I think there is a fair bit of resin that ended up in the foam so the second layers should be lighter. If I can keep under 8kg I will be happy. I am not concerned about loading as just about the whole thing is a liting body and the canard takes some of the load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaartenX
+ 1 on that.
Excellent work Owen. Keep the momentum :-)
Hopefully I will. Ordered some more resin last night so that should get here before the easter break. I thought I might have enough resign to do the fuse, but I don't

Quick Reply