1/6th Scale PSS Henschel Hs P.87 (Canard) Scratch Build - RC Groups
Mar 06, 2018, 07:24 AM
Crafter of flying plugs
Build Log

1/6th Scale PSS Henschel Hs P.87 (Canard) Scratch Build

Itís time to go again! This is another one born of chatting with Alexis at MSF 2017. I have had the Beech Star Ship on the list for a while and during MSF canards were discussed, but I was liking the look of the Star Ship as a PSS less and less. So I found this thing with nothing hanging down too far below the wings. Nice solid looking plane although none were ever produced.

This is my first fully surfaced model. The Hansa was close but I modelled the entire outer surface prior to creating the internal structure. Itís roughly 6th scale. The verticals were enlarged slightly. I cut the parts for one out of MDF for a test. They are actually quite large in real life and confidence inspiring. Wings were also expanded slightly, mostly so I can just hit a 2.5m span. Fuse should be a pretty good lifting body like the T-37. Canard was extended the most, just to be on the side.

Canard and wing are MH-32 as usual with 1.5 degrees of positive incidence on the canard which was arrived at after much research and contemplation. Wing tips are thickened for a bit of aerodynamic washout and to fit the aileron servo in.

I build a half scale electric model as a test bed and it flew ok within the limits of the materials and disposable nature of the rig. Verticals seemed large enough and canard incidence was fine.

I am still yet to model the plugs for the glass work but I think itís time to move onto cutting some wood. Itís taken many hours to get to here and I am glad solid works does not keep track of the time you spend working on a model.

Time to spend a few evenings looking over the model and make sure everything is ready to start cutting on the weekend.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2018, 08:21 AM
Aerotow and sloping Holland
Well chosen subject Owen and a brave Project ! I hope it flies as spectacular as it looks.

Maarten
Mar 06, 2018, 09:13 AM
No fuse too fat
Very cool, Owen. What app are you using to do the 3D modeling?
Latest blog entry: Amigo Racer
Mar 06, 2018, 09:27 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Nice work so far That'll be SolidWorks
Mar 06, 2018, 01:02 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Nice work Owen, solid works sure beats the hell out of my pencil paper and calculator .Soon though I'll be back at the building board .
Mar 06, 2018, 04:51 PM
Living on the Dark Side.
Cool project Owen. I have a passion for canards and this one looks awesome so I will be following with much interest.
Mar 06, 2018, 06:29 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Another very interesting Owen project to follow. Best of luck.
Mar 06, 2018, 08:35 PM
It's time for me to fly
You've always got something cool going on!
Mar 07, 2018, 02:09 AM
Crafter of flying plugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaartenX
Well chosen subject Owen and a brave Project ! I hope it flies as spectacular as it looks.

Maarten
We will find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeiron
Very cool, Owen. What app are you using to do the 3D modeling?
Andy knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmeade
Nice work so far That'll be SolidWorks
Thanks Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban
Nice work Owen, solid works sure beats the hell out of my pencil paper and calculator .Soon though I'll be back at the building board .
You do fine without it Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarcher
Cool project Owen. I have a passion for canards and this one looks awesome so I will be following with much interest.
Flown many? It was weird tossing the electric scale version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailhigh
Another very interesting Owen project to follow. Best of luck.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
You've always got something cool going on!
Not always but it's more fun when I do
Mar 07, 2018, 02:45 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Be keen to know what laser cutter you have , looked at a few but not sure they would cut it so to speak
Mar 07, 2018, 04:20 AM
Crafter of flying plugs
I have a SH-G350 Steve. Like this one https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...da507c697Bpp4J but from an Australian ebay seller. It was $1,800 delivered.

The Chinese exaggerate the power output on their machines. The tube in my machine is 850mm long which makes it a 40 watt machine. If you buy one, add an ammeter so you can set the power such that it doesn't exceed the maximum recommended power for a tube of the length that you have. Over driving CO2 tubes will kill them quickly. From what I can tell they don't bother to calibrate the laser power supplies prior to shipping.

The Ruida motion controller is also a must have. The cheap K40 lasers don't have this, you have to attach it to your computer to drive it. I upload files over my network to my machine. It's fantastically easy!

If I was to purchase another machine I would go for a 700x500 bed over the 500x300mm bed I have now assuming I have the space. Cost would be about what I paid for the one I have now. 40 or 50 real watts is fine for hobby stuff. The larger wattage tubes get expensive very quickly. This link might be useful if they had all the machines in stock https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CO2-Lase...9jAQZ9esmpBq7A

If you get one you will need to go over it looking for stuff that was not done properly. It will need tweaking and stuff will break, but it cost 1/10 of what a brand name machine of the same size would cost. My only major failure as been the laser PSU which failed after about 2 hours of use. I got the seller to replace it after a few emails and measuring my resistance to ground They didn't want the old one back so I fixed it and have a spare. If my original tube makes it through this project I will be happy. I will purchase a brand name tube to replace it when it cutting gets too slow.

A couple of good threads on my machine

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...-software.html
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...are-forum.html
Mar 07, 2018, 04:38 AM
Just Toss It !!!
I see your CAD modeling skills have improved grasshopper!

Now you just have to get over you fetish for backwards flying planes.
Mar 07, 2018, 06:39 AM
Bogan of distinction
I reckon you should go all out and make this a twisty Owen.

A bit like this but more awesome.

https://www.hoelleinshop.com/Planes-...=12327&p=12327
Mar 07, 2018, 05:09 PM
Crafter of flying plugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATIN
I see your CAD modeling skills have improved grasshopper!

Now you just have to get over you fetish for backwards flying planes.
What are you on about, the wings are swept BACK on this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stehl
I reckon you should go all out and make this a twisty Owen.

A bit like this but more awesome.

https://www.hoelleinshop.com/Planes-...=12327&p=12327
I will order some HXT-900's and get right on that.
Mar 07, 2018, 05:40 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Hedger
What are you on about, the wings are swept BACK on this one!

Oh! .... So it's just going backwards!...I get it!

Well, backwards going planes are about the same as forward going wings!

Quick Reply