Mar 05, 2018, 11:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

JTM Viper 1.7m future build log.

After cutting my teeth on several large and small foamie jets including my HSD Super Viper, F16 and the Freewing A10, I have decided that I am ready to move up to composites. I have been looking for a large jet that was built with an edf in mind, not a turbine version that could be converted. a jet built as an edf tends to be light and have the ducting to match without having to add unsightly cheater holes. With that in mind I decided on the JTM Viper 1.7m. I chose the viper because it is very light, full composite using Airex, has closed ducting and has a beautiful finish. I also considered the Sebart Avanti but did not like the wood wings and the open ducting.

Looking of a supplier of these jets I found three places. There was Billy at USARCJETS, Pavlis at JTM Cyprus, and my personal favorite, Matt at FANJETSUSA. I must say that all of these individuals were very knowledgeable, friendly and have a genuine interest in their products. I was originally going to purchase from Pavlis at JTM Cyprus since I could order before the end of the Chinese New Year, but we had issues with Paypal and converting such a large payment to Euros to send overseas. Paypal was a real bear to work with and kept flagging it. No fault of Pavlis, as he stated that he has received Paypal from the US before, so I can only assume that it was an issue on my side. However it turned out to be in my favor because I was able to purchase from Matt at Fanjets. Mat was fantastic to work with and returned phone calss and emails promptly. He even made suggestions for configurations and offers a manual for the JTM XXX free of charge on his website.
His website FanjetsUSA also was by far the cheapest for the ARF at $1289.99. If you purchased the electric landing gear with brakes at the same time as the jet it is was only $299.99 more for full gear, brakes controller and retracts. as a plus the retracts come with built in controllers for the gear doors. And if you can believe it the shipping is only $75.41 which is left than half of what I could find anyplace else. This came to a total of 1665.39 to my door which is the cheapest I could find. At this point I will say that JTM Cyprus' price was pretty close with with USARCJETS coming in at the highest. For anyone interested in the same deal I found here is the link to FanJets https://shop.rc-electric-jets.com/11...F-JETS_c44.htm

I originally had my heart set on the HPAT red because I really liked the color scheme. However I changed my mind once I found out that the entire bottom of the jet was completely white with some gray checkers near the wing tips. Not my forte, especially when flying on cloudy days. My second choice was the Vodafone. I am not crazy about the silver, but I love the red trim and the entire bottom of the jet is red that has great visibility regardless of the weather. The jet also has newly reinforced wings, gear doors, top hatch access and live hinges. It was built for an edf and even comes with thrust tube material. I feel that this will be a worthy addition to my fleet until I save up enough to go the turbine route. For those interested, both JTM Cyprus and USARCJETS have turbine conversion kits for the 1.7 Viper.

Another really nice all composite jet I am strongly considering is the Harlock Viper 90mm. This is an awesome jet that is from the same guys who make Zeal jets. Greg Alderman at Jag-rc.com is the distributor in the US and just received his first sample. I have known Greg for many years and is a stand up guy and has tons of knowledge in the hobby and turbines. There are pics on his facebook page.

Once I receive my Jet I plan on starting a build log here. I plan to power my jet with a Jetfan 120mm and a HET 800-73-590kv on 14s. With this setup it should pull 126A and produce 21.6lbs of thrust. In the meanwhile, here are some pics of the different color schemes from the JTM website as well as the specs for anyone whom is interested.
SPECIFICATIONS:
EDF Size: 110-120 mm edf or Turbine
Wing Span: 1840mm (72.5'')
Length: 1700mm (67'')
Estimated Power: 13-17 lbs
Recommended Power: 10-14S Li-Po System and Motor (Estimated based on motor)
Brushless Motor: Suitable for a 110-120 motor like the HET 700-83 and 700-98 Series

Thanks for reading,
Tone
Last edited by TS8103; Mar 05, 2018 at 11:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2018, 12:27 AM
My 2 cents get the BVM 12s 9er fan 20lbs thrust and run it on 3 dinogy graphene 4s 7700mah. I get 6 minutes on my Electra. It easily will push over 200mph.
Mar 06, 2018, 03:52 AM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
Congrats on your purchase! The top hatch is much nicer than the previous setup.
The new gear is really nice.
Mar 06, 2018, 08:59 AM
I have the same power system in my XXX and the installed amps are around 155A. Just something to consider. I run Dynogy 70C 5,000's and they stand up to the punishment.
Mar 06, 2018, 09:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodi11 View Post
My 2 cents get the BVM 12s 9er fan 20lbs thrust and run it on 3 dinogy graphene 4s 7700mah. I get 6 minutes on my Electra. It easily will push over 200mph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VK96 View Post
I have the same power system in my XXX and the installed amps are around 155A. Just something to consider. I run Dynogy 70C 5,000's and they stand up to the punishment.
I have never tried BVM but I already own and have experience with the jetfan so I am going to stick with what I I have. I do appreciate the advice though.

I plan to run the 70c 5500 Roaring Top batteries. I have heard good thing about them. I looked at the Dinogy's and considered them but the are fairly expensive. Although I am sure that you get what you pay for. What kind of flight time are you getting on your XXX?
Tone
Mar 06, 2018, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS8103 View Post
What kind of flight time are you getting on your XXX?
Tone
Approximately 4min...Short flight times are worth it to me though as the plane flies much nicer with less weight.
Mar 06, 2018, 12:57 PM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
FYI I have the DS86 on 12S in my L39 I'm using Gator RC 6500 packs and I get nice long flights with plenty of power. Model weight is just shy of 19lbs.

This flight was on the new style gear that is coming with you Viper, nothing fancy in this video sorry, and Kevin cut a lot out as all I was doing was circuits. You can see how nice the model ground handle on the new gear.

Jet Teng L-39 with Schubeler EDF (3 min 29 sec)
Mar 06, 2018, 01:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
FYI I have the DS86 on 12S in my L39 I'm using Gator RC 6500 packs and I get nice long flights with plenty of power. Model weight is just shy of 19lbs.

This flight was on the new style gear that is coming with you Viper, nothing fancy in this video sorry, and Kevin cut a lot out as all I was doing was circuits. You can see how nice the model ground handle on the new gear
How is the new gear different? I like JTM but their website leaves alot to be desired. I have never heard of Gator packs. Are they high C and where did you get them.
Tone
Mar 06, 2018, 01:53 PM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
The new gear is a better design and much more robust in its construction. The retract units are made from a better quality aluminum. The struts are dampened better and have zero slop. The L39 has a narrow main gear track so good gear is really important! Replacement parts should be readily available as they are made JP Hobby, which is also making the gear for the T-1 Mini, and Avanti XS.

The Gator RC packs I'm using are only 35C you can find them here. They have outperformed the Revo packs I first used in the model.

https://www.gator-rc.com/gator-power...o-battery-pack

YES, the JTM website is terrible!
Last edited by Robert Belluomini; Mar 06, 2018 at 02:03 PM.
Mar 06, 2018, 04:05 PM
Tone,

Why did you go with the Viper as opposed to the XXX jet? Just asking because I am thinking of moving up to a high performance composite.

Thanks
Al
Mar 06, 2018, 07:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by abasualdo View Post
Tone,

Why did you go with the Viper as opposed to the XXX jet? Just asking because I am thinking of moving up to a high performance composite.

Thanks
Al
I liked the increased wingspan and lower wing loading. I also like the winglets and figured that they would help with knife edge type maneuvers. It's all personal preference but I just like the viper look.
Tone
Mar 07, 2018, 09:15 AM
Thanks Tone,

Its seems the Viper is more popular than the XXX, will have to check it out.

For me, I want a BVM Electra, but can't afford it. I am thinking the JTM XXX will give me 90% of the performance at 50% of the cost.

Al
Mar 17, 2018, 08:38 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by abasualdo View Post
Thanks Tone,

Its seems the Viper is more popular than the XXX, will have to check it out.

For me, I want a BVM Electra, but can't afford it. I am thinking the JTM XXX will give me 90% of the performance at 50% of the cost.

Al
The Electra is a nice jet and they do good work. However, in my personal opinion it is massively overpriced for what you get. I will stick with JTM all the way.

Back to the build. I have purchased a 120mm jetfan with a HET 800-73-590kv motor for the power plane. I plan on using the flyfun 160hv for a speed controller and running on 14s. I looked at the Hobbywing platinum and Scorpion Tribunus because they can both also run on 14s but they were twice the price and seemed like overkill for a edf when I would not be using most of the telemetry functions, bec or governor. I have also purchased Savox sa1258tg servos with 166 oz torque for the ailerons, SC 0251mg with 222oz of torque for the flaps and bms 390dmh with 75oz of torque for the rudder and elevators. I fly with Frsky Horus radio and plan on using the S8R receiver with the built in gyro. I actually plan on using two of them with the SB10 redundancy bus. Now its just a matter of playing the waiting game for the jet to get here.
Tone
Mar 21, 2018, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post

This flight was on the new style gear that is coming with you Viper, nothing fancy in this video sorry, and Kevin cut a lot out as all I was doing was circuits. You can see how nice the model ground handle on the new gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO7RIJm5CXA&t=14s
Bob,

What motor are you using for this and if you don't mind posting your specs on it?
Latest blog entry: "Is that a Turbine?" Not...
Mar 21, 2018, 02:45 PM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
It's here:

DS-86-AXI HDS® mit Tenshock X-501 5,5Y for 12-14S

https://schuebeler-store.de/epages/4...60-4-01-I-0004

Quick Reply