Nov 29, 2004, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
Rave

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX7 Ultra Compact Digital Camera

What about this new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX7 Ultra Compact Digital Camera for our Slow Sticks?

It has a high quality optical stabilizer in an ultra compact body! AND Leica lens!

Link:

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FX7
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2004, 10:06 PM
Looks very nice, around 5.5oz fully loaded, but man, expensive! The FX4 is still fetching a hefty price on ebay too. I wonder how good that stabilizer works?
Nov 29, 2004, 10:11 PM
RCAPA #005
It sounds as if it has the same guts as my "big" Lumix- which is an amazing camera. The image stabilization is exceptional on my Lumix FZ20, but I don't know how it would deal with the vibration from a motor. Maybe I can rig some kind of bench test with the big Lumix and see if the stabilizer engine works well.
The prices will fall after x-mas anyway. Digital cameras depreciate faster than computers.
Nov 30, 2004, 06:24 AM
Thread OP
I started out looking for a new camera:

1. Pentax S5i $286
2. Sony DSC P150 $372
3. Panasonic DMC-FX7 $397

These are prices from deal time. I really like all of these cameras. I'm now using a Pentax S4 with the Prism which is nice and I also use a Sony DSC-U40 only a 2 pixal camera that has given us outstanding photos. It's tough having so many great cameras to chose from!

Sparrowhawk
Nov 30, 2004, 06:40 AM
The more I look, the more I want to just buy a nikon 3700 and say to heck with it.
I love the size of the Pentax cams, but all the sample images out there from the S4I scare me a bit. They all show fuzzy around the edges.
Compare the 3700, and the S4i here, and take a look at the full sized resolution shots (white pics with all the numbers and lines)
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

The 3700 makes the S4i look pretty bad, but the P150 does have a lot more resolution than both of them. The P150 resolution image looks really good to me. Imagine all the cropping you could do in AP!

If the optics of the Panasonic FZ3 are any indication of the fX7 (which they probably are not) the Sony still looks to have the better image.

Nikon for price, Sony for image quality. Maybe they'll get the S5I up there soon and we can find out how it compares, I would think it has the same optics as the S4I, but I may be wrong?
Nov 30, 2004, 05:49 PM

Samsung Digimax 301

Hi,

I've also been looking for a suitable new aerial camera. Mountain Models Magpie showed up today so I can start work. I had my choices down to the Panasonic DMC-FX7 or the Sony DSC-L1.

The way I fly I would probably trash the Panasonic.

Sony looked good, feels solid and the lens doesn't stick out too much. I really don't want to buy new memory though.

In my searching I came across a Samsung 301. Fixed focus, light, 2 AA batteries can be replaced with a LiPo cell, and only slightly bigger than the Panasonic. I did find a thread with photos of the shutter switch with wires brought out for an electronic trigger. In practice it will actually be smaller than the Panasonic if using the elecronic switch.

$118 at Walmart. I figure I can't lose; It looks survivable. I'll be ordering one later tonight. May be a bit till I get it in use, trying to figure out the mount.

That Panasonic sure looks like a great little camera. I have an Olympus C2100UZ (2 megapixel with 10x optical zoom and image stabilization) and it works great. Took some pictures the other night at a concert, max zoom at 1/30 second (hand held no flash) and they were acceptably sharp.

Vince
Nov 30, 2004, 05:53 PM
I like the resolution of the Fuji E550. But I don't think it has live video out. Pretty reasonable and I think there's a $50 rebate but i want video out from my downlink.

Quick Reply