Old Spektrum DX6 - RC Groups
Mar 05, 2018, 09:42 PM
Discussion

Old Spektrum DX6

Hi all,

Been a long time since I have been here and posted anything. I registered back in 2012 but left the hobby for a long time...just lost the bug and life got in the way.

Well I am back now and I am getting back into the hobby. I have an old 1st gen Spektrum DX6. The original version when it was 1st released.

So am I SOL...is this no longer a viable transmitter/rec combo? I see they have DSM2 and DSMX now and it looks like (from my reading) the old stuff is not compatible or "upgradeable".

Is my TX/RX trash? Do I need to go out and buy a whole new rig?

Zulu
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2018, 09:47 PM
The original DSM and following DSM2 have been discontinued a long time ago but its still usable as a "park flyer" system.
Mar 05, 2018, 10:21 PM
I hopped on over to Spektrum and read up some on the TX's. So what does the "e" mean on the transmitters?

The base model says DXe and looks like it is programmable through an APP vs directly on the unit. I only need 6 channels, actually only 4 to fly but 6 is nice for L-Gear and other "stuff". It looks like the base model comes standard with 6 channels. 4 channels and 2 switches.

@ only 60.00 US just for a TX it is actually not that bad...I thought I was going to have to fork out 299.00 again for a full rig.

Would like to pick up 2 so my son can get into the hobby. I never use the servos and stuff in the BIG box buys.

Are these basic rigs worth it? What is the forum opinion on the basic TX's? I mean it gets us up to speed with the newest tech and would work as quality entries into park flyer TX's right?

Zulu
Mar 05, 2018, 11:04 PM
Until it was destroyed in a fire, I found my old DX6 a very reliable tx. If you want to continue with yours I have some receivers for it you can have.
If you want a budget system, look at the FlySky FSi6, it has a big following. I love mine though it is not my main system.
Vic
Mar 06, 2018, 03:08 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan
.....following DSM2 have been discontinued....
Unless you are in EU, or use the DXe in NA (DSMX only for them), there is nothing "Discontinued" about DSM2. Even the newest and biggest will work with DSM2 Rx's. And newest Rx's will work with DSM2 Tx. Original DSM is the only thing deprecated.

DXe is capable of 9 channels so can be a nice stepping stone. It is able to easily have downloadable model setups loaded into it for many of the Bind n Fly models. It is also set up for 3-Position Flight Mode Switch for AS3X/SAFE-Equipped Aircraft and Bind/Panic/Return Home Button for SAFE-Equipped Aircraft. Just what you may want for small beginner aircraft.

If you have never tried AS3X you owe it to yourself. Smooth working stabilization system would feel like seamless transition to larger Rx's with it built in.

DXe has a couple other switches also for flaps and thing like LG.

Where do you reside Zulu?
Mar 06, 2018, 09:26 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
I'd skip the DXe unless you're flying a single airplane. The app-based programming just isn't quite ready for prime time.

My suggestion would be the DX6e instead. It's a fully capable 6ch telemetry transmitter and has the same programming that is used in the rest of the DX line. Yes, it's more money, but there's also a lot more growth in it.

Remember you will need receivers, your current DSM receivers (AR6000 or BR6000) do not work with any current transmitters (which will support DSM2 or DSMX unless it's the DXe or you are in the EU)
Mar 06, 2018, 09:40 AM
I second the recommendation to skip the dxe.
Mar 06, 2018, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte
I second the recommendation to skip the dxe.
As a replacement for the DX 4 or 5, the DXE was a bust
That concept was flawed.
The similar price suggest a similar , simple design.
It apparently was intended to introduce users to programmed devices.
It works but to me it is neither fish nor fowl.
Last edited by richard hanson; Mar 06, 2018 at 06:36 PM.
Mar 06, 2018, 05:13 PM
Look at some of the newer radios that either have a 4 in 1 module built in or one that takes a ext module. The DXe is complete garbage! I was sent a DX6e for Christmas and right out of the box the left gimbal was gritty & the right made a twang sound . Needles to say it was returned. I like there planes but will never touch another spectrum radio.
Mar 06, 2018, 05:26 PM
I use a DX6e for club training. I had no trouble getting the throttle tension and no ratchet that I prefer. If you're not big into telemetry, the DX6e make a nice entry level choice.
Pete
Mar 07, 2018, 12:55 PM
Very cool guys...thanks for all the replys...I would have gone down the wrong road with the DXe it sounds without your input.

Great to see so much instant help from the community.

I looked around and found a couple variations on the DX6e. What is the opinion of the "OrangeRX" brand found on hobbyking?

Haven't checked out the FlySky yet...

Also I am located in SO Cal close by the the old El Toro base that is now a park. I think there is still a RC club that flys out there. Not sure since I have been out of hobby for a while.

Zulu
Mar 07, 2018, 01:12 PM
No bounce, No play.
Orange is a poor almost compatible reverse engineered product. Buyer beware.
Mar 08, 2018, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36
Unless you are in EU, or use the DXe in NA (DSMX only for them), there is nothing "Discontinued" about DSM2. Even the newest and biggest will work with DSM2 Rx's. And newest Rx's will work with DSM2 Tx. Original DSM is the only thing deprecated.

DXe is capable of 9 channels so can be a nice stepping stone. It is able to easily have downloadable model setups loaded into it for many of the Bind n Fly models. It is also set up for 3-Position Flight Mode Switch for AS3X/SAFE-Equipped Aircraft and Bind/Panic/Return Home Button for SAFE-Equipped Aircraft. Just what you may want for small beginner aircraft.

If you have never tried AS3X you owe it to yourself. Smooth working stabilization system would feel like seamless transition to larger Rx's with it built in.

DXe has a couple other switches also for flaps and thing like LG.

Where do you reside Zulu?

I hate the AS3X receivers they are such a pita to configure the software blows the android version is buggy only works if you tweak it delete folders. The only reliable method is a laptop and USB cable so now I have to drag that to the field. You have to do all the servo adjustments on the gryo not the transmitter can't just land adjust take off again. There are no instructions you have to watch 20 youtube videos to figure out how to program this thing. If you want to adjust the gain control of the gryo from the transmitter you can't unless you have certain transmitters your limit at least on mine DX8g2 to look at a screen to adjust the gain have to land adjust take off. I can accept complicated programming but the software on my iPad intermittently works I have to constantly play with the audio sound to get it to connect. The cost of spektrum receiver would expect better. The android version bugs doesn't even work on my samsung note 4 never worked. None of these problems are new it's been a few years since the AR636 and AR9350 been out there hasn't really been any fixes for these problems or upgrades. It seems to me the AS3X gryo receiver will eventually be discontinued we haven't seen any new receivers show up with the technology.

My plans are to dump spektrum go with frsky get way more for the money.

DSM2 has a record of signal loss the DSMX replaced it to resolve those problems frsky uses frequency hopping much like futaba I have never read a single post here where someone lost a model using frsky transmitter due to signal loss.
Last edited by kell490; Mar 08, 2018 at 01:21 AM.
Mar 08, 2018, 01:25 AM
No bounce, No play.
That's way over critical. Newer phones/tabs are not good with the app. It has been explained that the ones who work on it have been on other things lately. Patience is a virtue.

I use an S5 with Android 6 and it works just fine. Only tiny tweaks might be needed at the field. Otherwise, fine tuning is easily done in flight with a trimmer assigned to the AS3X adjust channel.

Doing small trim adjustments and getting control rods near perfect is the proper way to get it cleaned up before starting to set up stabilization.

You can do that at the field with no PC or App. All gains set to REL and trimmed down to Zero. Fly and trim like normal. Just like any plane, land and adjust rods to remove trim from radio.

Now fly and start tweaking up gains to stabilize while watching your plane for oscillating, then back off a tiny bit. Done.

It's a sweet system and planes fly like a dream.
Mar 08, 2018, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36
That's way over critical. Newer phones/tabs are not good with the app. It has been explained that the ones who work on it have been on other things lately. Patience is a virtue.

I use an S5 with Android 6 and it works just fine. Only tiny tweaks might be needed at the field. Otherwise, fine tuning is easily done in flight with a trimmer assigned to the AS3X adjust channel.

Doing small trim adjustments and getting control rods near perfect is the proper way to get it cleaned up before starting to set up stabilization.

You can do that at the field with no PC or App. All gains set to REL and trimmed down to Zero. Fly and trim like normal. Just like any plane, land and adjust rods to remove trim from radio.

Now fly and start tweaking up gains to stabilize while watching your plane for oscillating, then back off a tiny bit. Done.

It's a sweet system and planes fly like a dream.
It's been since 2015 nearly 2 1/2 years the apps have never been updated we haven't seen any new receivers integrated with this AS3X technology I suspect it's more likely they are going to discontinue these maybe replace them with new one. If you like to tinker with this stuff troubleshoot you can get it to work but I don't accept that kind of support from spektrum.

Quick Reply