Mar 05, 2018, 02:51 PM
Thread OP

Joel Nall Lodging

We are not going this year but we are next year. We are not camping so we will stay at one of the hotels close by. I prefer to stay at a Hampton Inn or Hilton. Anyone have a place they recommend?

Figure this post will help others as well.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2018, 09:34 AM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Most of the decent hotels are in clinton and greenville which if I remember was about 20-30 minutes drive. Not bad, but staying on site is great.
Last edited by heligrom; Mar 15, 2018 at 08:20 AM.
Mar 14, 2018, 09:39 AM
Thread OP
I guess staying on site does not have lodging, just camping?
Mar 14, 2018, 03:57 PM
TripleTreeAerodrome Volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by heligrom
Most of the decent hotels are in woodruff, which if I remember was about 20-30 minutes drive. Not bad, but staying on site is great.
The hotels are in Clinton and Greenville near the airport. There are no hotels in Wooodruff.
Mar 14, 2018, 10:50 PM
There are Hampton Inns in Simpsonville and Clinton both roughly about 30 minutes away...
Mar 15, 2018, 10:32 AM
Unless you just hate camping (understandable) maybe look into renting an RV or camper of some sort. Just a thought.
Mar 15, 2018, 10:38 AM
Thread OP
I would not mind camping. Have not done it since I was a kid however spouse is not a camper. Would like to enjoy my time there. I am pretty sure if I told her we are camping it would not work out so well for me.

I think staying at a hotel is our best bet.
Mar 16, 2018, 05:43 AM

Joe Nall Camping

The place I think has 3 or 4 bath houses / restrooms. A lot of folks rent RVs or campers. I prefer a tent and fire and lanterns. You pick your location. Not really designated sites. It is an incredible time there and most people are in great moods.

If you camp you might want to rent a golf cart. The place is massive. It took me 45 minutes to walk from my campsite to the gate entrance.

They have 3 bands playing at night at different locations on the property. One is a 10 piece band I think. One is Blue Grass. I forget the other.

Pat Hartness is a cool guy and very generous. Sometimes stunt pilots fly real planes for show.
Mar 16, 2018, 06:25 AM

Rv

We will be bringing our camper. Any options for emptying tanks if needed? Also, any suggestions for camping spots?
Mar 16, 2018, 10:46 AM
Jeff Carr
For RV campers they have a truck come around to empty tanks. There is no dump site on the grounds.

Camping is first come first serve. There is a tremendous amount of spots so pick a spot and have fun. Kids everywhere having fun. Not only with planes but fishing and playing in the creek that runs by down at the far end of the field. Bring ear plugs. Yes they fly until the sun goes down and then for a few hours later. When the sun comes up they are at it again.

Really there is something for everyone. The bath Houses have granite counter tops. My wife loves this place.

You wont be disappointed.

Jeff
Mar 16, 2018, 01:00 PM
They did put in a dump station for RV use now. New for this year. And jobinseattle, has your wife seen the inside of a modern rv/camper? Really nothing missing from them nowadays that you would have in your home besides space, and many are even generous on that. From my experience at other events, you miss a lot not being on site at night, and I have to assume it is the same for Nall. But I do get the "happy wife=happy life" issue as well. Maybe show her the inside of a few campers when you get there, I don't know, lol.
Last edited by Darkbird; Mar 16, 2018 at 01:10 PM.
Mar 17, 2018, 05:52 PM
Is full scale aircraft camping with a tent allowed during Joe Nall?
I may not bring any models to fly but would enjoy visiting for several days.
I own a 1946 Ercoupe and live in northeast Indiana.

It would be a lot easier to fly down and quicker than the long drive by road.
The only other question is a buddy of mine may want to come along, in which case we might use his Cessna 310.
We will tent camp or is the field closed to full scale aircraft during Joe Nall week?

Thanks,

Ed

AMA 16189

N99879
Mar 17, 2018, 06:21 PM
Okay, not hard to figure out!

KGWB Auburn IN to SC00 Woodruff SC 488 statute miles amounts to 5 hours by air with one fuel stop enroute , so approx 6 hours vs 12 hours
or more via driving.

2.5 hours via Cessna 310 with several model planes onboard plus a tent !
with 60 gallons used via Cessna 310 vs 30 gallons via Ercoupe., a small tent and no models onboard.
Mar 18, 2018, 09:02 PM
TripleTreeAerodrome Volunteer
I am sorry to say but their is no full scale aircraft aloud during the Joe Nall. It is just too busy with 1700 RC pilots.
Mar 27, 2018, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbee-rc
The hotels are in Clinton and Greenville near the airport. There are no hotels in Wooodruff.
How do these towns compare to Spartanburg in terms of interesting places for tourists to stay? The reason I ask is my wife and I were planning on attending and while she tolerates my RC addiction, I want this trip to also be fun for her and we like to explore old historic districts and walk any towns that we stay at.

Quick Reply