Jul 04, 2019, 10:31 AM

Update

I got my bracket and had to dive into it. Even with the proper mounting, it doesn't take much to cause a bind and draw too much power. It has to have the right servo arm and the link has to be attached to the right hole on the arm and the end points have to be just right. I got it working with both end points set to 30%. Oh yah, the servo arm has to be set at the right rotation on the 25 splines too. It also needed a small spacer between the 3-D arm and the shifting rod attachment point. Anyway, after a lot of negative perspiration, it works and steers as it should. The servo was drawing enough power that, after about 10-15 minutes of back and forth messing with it, the battery was down enough that the cooling fan on the ESC was slowing down!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2019, 02:07 PM
Maybe your servos are too big, and the BEC is too small!?
Jul 04, 2019, 04:05 PM
I used the exact same servos used by Jim. I tried lowering my end points to what he had and it wouldn't shift all the way into gear - it wouldn't engage and drive the wheels reliably. If I used the provided servo arm and used the wrong attachment hole for the link, it gave too much throw. I thought I had a couple of good set ups, but the steering stopped working. I guess it was shifting, but also had a bind that made it draw too much current. I've been here before and never knew for sure if I had it right until I took it outside and it started bouncing around. Then, it would stop driving and sit there making noise like the gears weren't engaged fully.
Jul 05, 2019, 04:39 AM
If you can find a way to make short vids trouble shooting would be much easier! ��
Jul 05, 2019, 05:37 AM
Weather here has been very hot and humid with rain coming the next few days. As I've said, the only way to know if this is set up right is to take it outside and run it. I have no problems leaving it exactly as it is set up now - if it truly works. Right now, there isn't anything to troubleshoot. I run it, it shifts and it steers.
Jul 05, 2019, 07:23 AM
Oh sorry! I was lost in translation then and misunderstood your previous posting! Sorry again! I have to read it more carefully!
Jul 05, 2019, 09:11 PM
I was able to take it outside for a short time tonight. It seems to be working OK. Only time will tell.
Jul 06, 2019, 06:17 AM
Great!
Jul 06, 2019, 01:35 PM
Have you mounted your camera yet?
Jul 06, 2019, 03:04 PM
Sure! Around 8h till sunrise. Iwill try the second attempt for a range test with my RC6GS transmitter. First attempt failed because I got only 320m range with my VTx. Have another VTx installed with hopefully better performance.
Jul 06, 2019, 05:23 PM
I should have posted these sooner. I bought the foam cubes and then just zip tied the camera/transmitter/antennae to the front post. I Velcro'd the battery for the camera to the interior piece as shown. The antennae just fits under the roof panel.
Jul 06, 2019, 06:09 PM
I have removed the cockpit and made a plate out of plywood. On the plate I have installed a pan servo and glued the cam with epoxy on the servo arm. Mixed channels so the cam moves while steering but also can be moved by knob via transmitter.

VTx and antenna are mounted on the top plate of the roll cage. Power comes via 12v BEC from the power plug of the ESC.

Receiver has two antennas for telemetry. Installed 600mm antenna extensions on plastic poles to get them higher for better range.

Hopefully it doesnt start to rain in the morning. Weather forecast says it will rain.
Last edited by SilbernerSurfer; Jul 06, 2019 at 06:48 PM.
Jul 06, 2019, 08:08 PM
WOW! You've been a busy boy. To begin with, I think that body style is really nice. Can you give links for what you've used? I don't know if I would use the extenders to make the track wider, but I definitely like the bigger wheels and tires. What kind of range are you looking for? I have about 150/200 ft from the back of my house to the back fence and don't have range problems with my cheapo set up.
Jul 06, 2019, 08:31 PM
Rims. I have colored them black with Edding lack marker.
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32945377855.html

Tires.
https://www.banggood.com/AUSTAR-4PCS...r_warehouse=CN

You will probably need axle wideners to fit such big wheels to the 10428. I dont know how it will work with the B version, because the roll cage of the A version is different.

I have used these axle wideners. You need to drill them out and use thread lock for the nut to make them working.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Aluminum-12m...72.m2749.l2649

I am looking for 600meter (around 2000ft.) and more range. Should be possible with my set up. Maybe more! As I said, first range test was a fail. Only 320meters. The VTx wasent as good as described, descreption said 800mW, but confirmed output is only about 200 to 300mW. Should have read the test review before. Now I have a better VTx, hopefully. Test review says that it outputs 1250mW.

If I decide to get more range I will change to 433mHz and 1.2gHz.
Last edited by SilbernerSurfer; Jul 06, 2019 at 08:42 PM.
Jul 07, 2019, 02:12 AM
Range test!

Radiolink RC6GS transmitter.
R7FG dual antenna telemetry receiver with 600mm antenna extensions.
Eachine TX806 leaf 5.8Ghz 1000mW receiver with Realacc 5.8G 5dBi 50W Pagoda antenna.
V2.0 FXT VIPER goggle with Realac 5dBi 50W pagoda and Eachine StingPad 5.8G 16dBi patch antenna.

Got around 690 meters of range without a single glitch in controls.

FPV reception got bad at 690 meters. Later I recognized that the Stingpad patch antenna came loose. Maybe during transport!?

Maybe two patch antennas would be better for such a kind of range test! Any suggestions for better FPV antennas?

Name: Screenshot (28).png
Views: 2
Size: 463.0 KB
Description:

Radiolimk RC6GS transmitter with R7FG telemetry receiver range test 690m (10 min 1 sec)
Last edited by SilbernerSurfer; Jul 07, 2019 at 03:13 AM.

Quick Reply