This thread is privately moderated by Rural Flyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 05, 2018, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Holy Stone HS-300 motor upgrade to HS-100 Motor Set

In the previous HS-300 post, I'd shaved a full 78g of excess weight (in my opinion )... this time around I have to do some repairs after an unfortunate incident with a tree a couple of days ago...

HS300 Durability Test (2 min 9 sec)

There was a fair amount of internal damage, ie; 2 broken motor mounts, and a few of the screw posts on the body shell were damaged. Although the video above is around 2 minutes long, there was a full day of shooting arrows with fishing line and ropes, etc to recover the drone before resorting to taking the tree down...

Regardless, this provided the perfect opportunity to swap out the old style HS-300 motors, mounts and drive gears to the newer style HS-100 motors... I have a couple HS-100's that I bought "Lightly" used, and one was cannibalized for the parts.

Right off the top the HS-100 motors have much better venting by the brushes, but the "Mast" that the driven gear sits on is shorter, so the HS-100 props n mounting hardware will also be part of the upgrade.

There are a few other mis-matches, like the motor leads need to get swapped as the connectors don't match, 2 of the 6 motor-mount posts are shorter to accommodate the HS-100's Prop-guard configuration, so I have to hope the 4 mounting points will hold everything together, until I can find a solution.

I'm sure there are at least 2 or more ways to deal with the connector issue that I haven't considered, but it seemed that simply swapping the short 2 lead wiring harness off each motor was the quickest. The HS-100 internally deal's with Clock-Wise and Counter-Clock-Wise wiring so all the 4 motors are the same, while the HS-300 still has the "Old-School" CW n CCW motors.

To be sure that everything was wired properly, I opted to power-up the quad while apart on the desk and fire-up each motor as it was being replaced... A bit on the risky side, as the motors have enough torque that they jump about and could land inside onto the exposed FC Brd, but I figured out to hang onto the motor as it powered up

There was a bit of "Blaze" orange spray bombed onto the lower motor shrouds to aid in visually find the drone when it next goes "AWOL" and a bit of inside testing to be sure that everything was wired up properly.

HS300 Stress Test (1 min 16 sec)

Hopefully the images below help to add some context to the above, all in all a nice way to spend an evening
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply