This thread is privately moderated by Spaaro, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 05, 2018, 12:31 AM
Thread OP
Yippee!

On the Road, with Inertial Default!

I've been on the road and across 3 states since the middle of January. Relocating cross-country...resolving old property issues...and, by the grace of God and very, very dear friends, including exciting and adventurous experience as well[..several national parks, Pacific Coast scenery & outdoor wonder sites!..].

Is it truly too much to fervently desire/seek aviation & aeromodelling amidst it all??

I had packed all my tools, projects and R/C stuff into storage and carried only the simplest necessary for an extended 'road trip'. Out of that, only: tape, superglue, a hot melt glue gun, metal ruler, tape measure and pens/pencils might pass for 'hobby' equipment!

The wide, open landscape, clear skies and mild weather of Central Valley, CA pushed me over the edge, though.

I've bought a couple of EPO foamy HLGs(..One R/C-ready, minus rec'vr & batts; the other--'T-tail 'Blaze'--qualified for R/C conversion by others..), 2 foamy 3-channel/2.4 GHz 'Champ'-clone trainers from a seller in Bakersfield...some extra batteries, receiver and 2nd-hand transmitters.
All for less than $175!

I also couldn't resist scavenging potential, 'scratch-build'-grade odds & ends from some thrift stores I wandered into and now have the elements for an ambitious glider.
Most of this will depend on whether I can learn that arcane 'art' some on RCGroups are familiar with: "Build-Inside-Your-RV/Camper/SUV"!

Best encouragement has been the folding table that my trusty Honda came with, stored in the trunk subfloor--I consider it a 'challenge' to rise to.

I'm kicking myself for not bringing my chargers--both AA/AAA NiMH one and my R/C Lipo charger. I'm going to need a 'cheapy' 1s Lipo 'wall-wart' or USB plug in, as well as one for AA/AAAs.

So far, I've only played with the T-tail HLG; it needs some modifications to be better than just a fling-it, kid's toy:
-Additional nose weight[..eventually rec'vr & battr will provide this..]

-It has an undercambered wing which is causing 'pitch-up'/wallowing[..I'm thinking using my clothes iron on it--against a flat, metal surface--to 'press' some reflex into the T.E. Also, possibly 'skinning over' the undersurface flat with Tyvek, once I've added the subspars necessary for aileron controls..]

-'Glass' the whole plane with tissue/polyester, lite filler & thinned PU adhesive[..Esp. the nose for crash protection, but the whole forward fuse will likely be hollowed out for R/C gear...I'm looking at Horizon Hobbies UMX ASK-21 for ideas, plus the handful of modelers who have already modded this plane on Youtube..]

Hopefully, I'll get to test out the 'Sky Cub' 3-channel tomorrow, but I'm already intent on beefing up the wings with mini-spars and 'ding'-proofing the L.E. & tips, as per advice of other owners. 'Glassing' with a couple layers of tissue on the nose, like I did on my HH J-3 Cub is probably worth doing.

Wet tissue dries in no time in this super arid climate!
Last edited by Spaaro; Mar 05, 2018 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Too verbose; improve descriptions.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply