Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 04, 2018, 09:57 PM
Discussion

Woodworking ............recently completed a simple project......my first project .

My background is in making things from metal.......precision things , I am a machinist that went back to school for Industrial controls engineering and manufacturing engineering . Woodworking is new to me , don't have any specific woodworking tools.......just hand tools....no table saw, band saw , planner or anything . Recently got a new TV and had a problem with it setting lower than the old one.......So I grabbed a sheet of paper and a tape and drew something up.......then off to Lowes . Really enjoyed making and staining this simple project and cant wait to take on something more complex . I will be shopping for some used woodworking stuff..........not going crazy but I really think I can get into this hobby ........hobby ? Trade ? whatever.......any suggestions on first...second....third purchase would be great . Anyone got a woodworking project to share ?
Mar 04, 2018, 10:00 PM
Trons and Fumes
Router.
Mar 04, 2018, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme
Router.
Yeah.....then I could make the top of the new piece look like the old one .........thanks .
Mar 04, 2018, 10:29 PM
Clamps and vices. With woodworking many of your items will be glued or screwed and glued. to hold such things together, you'll need clamps. Since you've done precision machining, I would also recommend squares; specifically a carpenters square and a couple of speed squares.
Mar 04, 2018, 10:37 PM
Trons and Fumes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyboy2
Yeah.....then I could make the top of the new piece look like the old one .........thanks .
Yep. It looks like you have a handle on the cutting and measuring; including the 'order of operations' for those two.

A router lets you make the fancy edges, as well as making nice square ones after a cut. And, leads in to joinery.
Mar 04, 2018, 10:44 PM
No retreat no surrender

Woodworking

My grandfather was a carpenter.
He taught me by example.
I have done all the woodwork in our house, installing and finishing.
I built our fireplace mantle.
I also built this cabinet as a linen cabinet and now it is sewing storage for my wife’s quilting studio.
Mar 04, 2018, 10:49 PM
No retreat no surrender
My table saw is my favorite, a Delta I bought back in the 1980,s followed by a drill press and a band saw. Second on the square, spend enough to get a good one.
Mar 05, 2018, 12:05 AM
Nice stuff , my father had some stuff.....he passed it on to one of his grandsons . One thing that I have noticed that is different with metal is stock size ..........wood is not very accurate .
Mar 05, 2018, 01:26 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyboy2
My background is in making things from metal.......precision things , I am a machinist that went back to school for Industrial controls engineering and manufacturing engineering . Woodworking is new to me ,

You know you can weld wood?

Linear friction welding of wood (1 min 0 sec)
Mar 05, 2018, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ
No ....I had no idea....cool .
Mar 05, 2018, 02:07 AM
I guess that since wood is cellulose (+ some oils & moisture, etc.), that this process is not essentially different than melt-welding plastic surfaces together (cellulose is natural plastic). In the case of wood it is obviously important to keep the heated/"melting" area at the contact surface to maintain and not destroy the tubular wood cell structure. What seems to be leaking out at the wood-welded surface looks similar to burnt wood-sap and to what happens when I heat plastic surfaces (high enough) over a flame and the flame-impinged melted plastic can often look similarly burnt.
Last edited by xlcrlee; Mar 05, 2018 at 02:13 AM.
Mar 05, 2018, 02:24 AM
Equinsu Ocha
Table saw
Sanders
Cordless drill/impact
Drill press
Miter saw
Band saw
Router
Planer

Buy the clamps and msc. as you need them. A ratchet strap can be used as a clamp.

A table saw can be made to do many things other tools do with jigs and your imagination, check youtube.
Mar 05, 2018, 08:57 AM
Kraut
A thickness planer is very helpful.
Mar 05, 2018, 09:23 AM
You know nothing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrott
A thickness planer is very helpful.
What I found MOST helpful was a trade based wood yard.They’d take my measurements,cut every thing to size,including thickness planing.Another service was skirting board mouldings.I replaced some in a friends Victorian house,they were 12” tall with an off standard moulding.The guys had a cutter to match!
Considering the service the prices were very agreeable.
Mar 05, 2018, 09:30 AM
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart A
What I found MOST helpful was a trade based wood yard.They’d take my measurements,cut every thing to size,including thickness planing.Another service was skirting board mouldings.I replaced some in a friends Victorian house,they were 12” tall with an off standard moulding.The guys had a cutter to match!
Considering the service the prices were very agreeable.
That's a good way to go. You can only do so much in a typical home garage without some sort of wood dust control system.

Quick Reply