Mar 04, 2018, 06:26 AM
Help!

OpenTx & Taranis X9D+ Bootloader issue

I've ran into an issue with my radio, and I'm looking for some advice on where to go from here.

While following the instructions provided videos by Scott Page and the Blue Falcon Project, I've ran into an issue where the USB Mass Storage Device does not show up when the Taranis is turned on in Bootloader mode. Nor does the Bootloader menu appear on the Taranis display. As a result I'm not able to use OpenTx.

I've used Zadig to update the STM32 Bootloader to WinUSB. I've done a little research on OpenTX University. So far as I can tell, this isn't supposed to happen. Through some internet searching I did find instructions from Peter King, on using Defuse to update firmware from the DFU mode (radio powered off). While I suspect that is the road I'll need to go down, Defuse does not recognize my radio in DFU mode, even though the computer does.

My questions for the comity,
A) Have you ever seen this issue before, and if so how was it solved?
B) If Defuse is needed, what USB driver do I need to push to the STM32 Bootloader for Defuse to work?

Scott Page -
OpenTX 2.0 and Beyond - Episode 5 - Upgrading a Taranis to OpenTX 2.0 (10 min 50 sec)

Blue Falcon Project -
Taranis X9D: Upgrading Firmware (11 min 32 sec)

Peter King -
Taranis bootloader issue (4 min 53 sec)

Thank you for your time.
-GG
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2018, 11:51 PM
Sorry to bump, but it took a while for my first post here to get approved. Afraid this post is all ready off the front page.
Mar 07, 2018, 12:08 AM
If you have Zadig installed properly - well really used it to install the appropriate STM32 driver - you should be able to flash the firmware with the TX turned off. This will replace both the main firmware and the bootloader.

You can either flash the build of OpenTX that FrSky make available on their site or use Companion to download a custom configured build. In either case make sure to use the firmware for the X9D+ and not the firmware for the X9D. When using Companion you must set the Radio Type in Settings->Settings to X9D+ or Taranis Plus before using File->Download... to download the custom build.

From what you describe it seem quite likely you have flashed with the X9D version of the firmware. That generally causes a blank or flashing screen.
Mar 07, 2018, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressalltheknobs
you should be able to flash the firmware with the TX turned off.
Agreed, but Companion is not communicating with the TX when its off (or on for that matter). Any attempts to flash with the TX off result in instructions to turn the TX on with the trim tab squeeze.

Zadig and the computers device manager seem to be the only things that recognize that the TX is pugged in, and only when the TX is off.

Anyone know of a thorough tutorial on flashing the firmware of X9D+ when its turned off?
-GG
Mar 07, 2018, 07:08 AM
Here's a suggestion...
Make sure your SD card is not corrupted. Remove it from the Taranis and plug it into your PC using a micro-SD to USB adapter and then do a low level format to FAT 32. Copy the standard X9DP file structure to the drive for whatever OpenTX version you are running (2.0, 2.1 or 2.2). Then put the SD card back into the X9DP.

painless360's first Taranis video is pretty good at showing how to do the power-off, Zadig flash:

(1/9) FrSky TARANIS Radio - How to update the firmware (8 min 15 sec)

Good luck!
Mar 07, 2018, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGoblin
Agreed, but Companion is not communicating with the TX when its off (or on for that matter). Any attempts to flash with the TX off result in instructions to turn the TX on with the trim tab squeeze.

Zadig and the computers device manager seem to be the only things that recognize that the TX is pugged in, and only when the TX is off.

Anyone know of a thorough tutorial on flashing the firmware of X9D+ when its turned off?
-GG
OpenTX U describes it well but you have already been there.

Could be a USB problem. Make sure you have a known good USB DATA cable and are not using a USB 3 port.

The SD card is optional. Try taking the SD card out then reconnecting the USB cable and seeing if Companion will see the TX.

I have Zadig etc on Windows 7 Pro. I did a quick test and with Companion 2.2.1 there is no indication that the powered off radio is connected and available. You can only tell when you try to write the Firmware. Windows shows a USB device...STM BOOTLOADER
Mar 10, 2018, 05:03 PM
UPDATE
Okay, so I've made some progress. It turns out, apparently, that the wireless mouse I use on my laptop also operates in DFU Mode. I discovered this by, out of desperation, attempting to read the current firmware from the radio in Companion. That returned an error about multiple DFU devices, and recommending disconnecting unnecessary devices.

With the mouse disconnected I was able to flash the firmware, sort of...
Now I have a new problem.

Symptoms:
A) "Warning: File has no DFU suffix" is reported when the radio is flashed. (see image 1)
B) Powered on radio & Connected to USB, results in the Taranis drive mounting fine, but the SD card drive mounting & unmounting over and over in rapid succession.
C) Radio Setup page 2/9 (SD Card) appears to be erroring out. (see image 2)
D) I'm still unable to access the bootloader menu on the radio, via the trim-switch squeeze. (see image 3) Neither the Taranis nor SD card drives mount to the computer when the radio is in this incomplete Bookloader mode.

I suspect this is an an SD card issue, but as I can build and save models in the radio I suspect it's some kind of USB interface issue rather than a wrecked card. Unfortunately I don't have anything that can read an SD at the moment, in order to verify that.

A quick google search turned up a lot of its on the "no DFU suffix" error, but I haven't started researching the issue yet.
Last edited by GreyGoblin; Mar 10, 2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added symptom about bootloader menu.
Mar 12, 2018, 03:36 PM

Finally Working!

Update:
TLDR;
Corrupted SD cards can do weird things, and if someone can't flash a new radio have them remove all other USB devices.

So it turns out I had two issues. The first being, as described above, my USB mouse operates in a DFU mode similar to the X9D+ when it's powered off. When OpenTx Companion searches for your radio it searches DFU mode devices and cannot support finding more than one. This was confirmed when I attempted to Read Firmware after several failed attempts to flash 2.2.1, and a dialog appeared warning me that multiple DFU devices had been found. Quite confusingly after I successfully flashed the radio once, the USB mouse no longer caused me any issue.

The second issue was a corrupted SD card. In addition to not being able to access the card through the radio's USB port, this weirdly enough caused the radio Bootloader (Trim switch squeeze + power on) to only partial load. The result being that I wasn't able to access the bootloader menu, nor turn off the radio. The bad SD card was confirmed by using an external card reader, which was unable to read the card at all. That little guy was bricked hard. A new SD card later, and it appears to be right as rain*.

I still have two gremlins, but they don't seem to be causing me issue.
A) I still get a "Warning: File has no DFU suffix" when flashing the radio.
B) When syncing my SD card I get some ominous looking failure messages referring to the "System Volume Information" folder.

I'm not terably concerned about these gremilns as they seem to be rather benign, and do not stop me from building/manipulating models, accessing SD card data, or flashing the radio. But, does anyone have any more information about these issues?

Quick Reply