Horus X10 telemetry range vs Spektrum vs Futaba - RC Groups
Mar 02, 2018, 08:55 AM
Discussion

Horus X10 telemetry range vs Spektrum vs Futaba

Most of this info seems spread out over various lengthy, dedicated radio brand threads so it's a bit challenging to make direct comparisons. Hence, this post.

Spektrum states that their telemetry range is approx 1,000 feet but that the radio control link is good for probably 3X that distance. I am specifically referring to their T series receivers that support RSSI alerts, like the AR8010T.

I've not ever lost telemetry on a FrSky in flight with an X8R and have definitely flown beyond 1,000 feet away.

I don't know what Futaba claims for their telemetry, although it is disappointimg that there does not yet seem to be a method to create a low signal alert. They have a signal strength icon on the 16sz display but no way to create an alert. Perhaps a future update will do so.

Question
Does anyone have any comparative data between the 3 systems in terms of how far the RSSI telemetry works, and perhaps even radio link range in general? I am not trying to start a fanboy war here. Just facts and comparative data. I am going with the view that all 3 systems offer a reliable RF link at this point.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2018, 09:06 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
The FCC filings for the receivers are public, so you can pull signal strength from that. That really should be all there is to it.

IIRC, the primary difference is in the EIRP of the different receivers when transmitting telemetry. FrSky runs their telemetry link at higher power than Spektrum and gets more range as a result.

I can't comment on Futaba beyond the fact that I've observed a 10J user using T-FHSS telemetry at well beyond 1000' separation with a live vario feed working on many occasions.
Mar 02, 2018, 05:42 PM
Does anybody else have empirical date comparing or confirming their experience with the telemetry distances?

Mawz, thanks for the info.
  • What's the best link to use out of these, to search the FCC site? And what's the best method to find receiver data if I don't actually have a given receiver in my hand with the FCC ID?
  • We know that the radio protocols differ, and also expect that the various brand receivers may have different levels of signal sensitivity. I assume that telemetry range is a function of both transmitted power as well as receiver sensitivity. Since EIRP is transmitted power, I would not imagine that this alone truly represent a system test result that can provide range info. How would one interpret this to get an idea of range?
Mar 04, 2018, 03:06 AM
http://fccid.io is friendlier to use but you have to have the IDs handy.
Mar 07, 2018, 07:10 PM
My Spectrum telemetry range was poor, about 400m max. FrSky has been reporting back at 1800m I don't know about futaba but FrSky simply works full range with telemetry.
Mar 07, 2018, 07:21 PM
Thanks, Tadango. Was that performance with one of the Spektrum T series receivers or with the TM1000 telemetry module?

I kind of wonder...since total power output is FCC limited, if there is a trade-off between radio control range and telemetry range...ie, does FrSky ultimate range for control get a bit sacrificed because they have such long telemetry range?

Or is it simply that because of time-slots of the control vs telemetry data packets that there is no trade-off except perhaps latency being sacrificed a little.
Mar 08, 2018, 08:57 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction
Thanks, Tadango. Was that performance with one of the Spektrum T series receivers or with the TM1000 telemetry module?

I kind of wonder...since total power output is FCC limited, if there is a trade-off between radio control range and telemetry range...ie, does FrSky ultimate range for control get a bit sacrificed because they have such long telemetry range?

Or is it simply that because of time-slots of the control vs telemetry data packets that there is no trade-off except perhaps latency being sacrificed a little.
It's both. And there's more tradeoffs than that. It's a complex interaction of telemetry transmit power, TX transmit power, receiver sensitivity and protocol data rate for both telemetry and control links (plus some other considerations that really get into deep dive territory)
Mar 09, 2018, 02:40 PM
RC expert
From my personal testing and experience, I would say the FASSTest telemetry has about the same range as the control link does. T-FHSS has noticably shorter telemetry range. Btw, by adding a small SBUS2 unit in your model, it's possible to get the RSSI/Frame Error Rate back on your TX as a value you can use to activate an alarm with.

Quick Reply