Jul 11, 2019, 11:42 AM
Sorry, I meant Bill. Oldtimers kicking in.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2019, 01:03 AM
W Dimpfl
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaley4527
Bob, If he will put some super glue spots on the hull next to the keel then the mesh will stay in place while applying the epoxy. Basically tack it in place along the keel. That is a trick I learned from Glassing so many Fantail launches. Hope that helps
Ed
Ed,

Thanks for the tip. I will pass it on.

Cheers,
Bill
Sep 10, 2019, 07:39 PM
W Dimpfl
Thread OP

A new pan for the engine

I made the pan for the engine from a stainless door kick plate I bought from Home Depot. I didn't have a proper metal break to fold up the edges, so I hammered them over with the plate in a vice. That didn't work that well as it left the pan with a bit of a warp. Mike decided to have another plate made from 1/16" stainless steel. I assume the manufacturer used a metal break to fold up the edges. He also had the corners sealed with silver solder.
Sep 10, 2019, 07:50 PM
W Dimpfl
Thread OP

Splash guard

I told Mike that he would need to add a splash guard around the perimeter of the cockpit. This shows what he chose to use. I guess we are not going to be running the boat in the ocean!
Sep 10, 2019, 08:03 PM
W Dimpfl
Thread OP

Ballasting the hull

So I drove up to Healdsburg to help Mike with ballasting the hull. I filled his bathtub and put the boat with engine in place in it. To my surprise the water came up to exactly where I marked the waterline on the bow. The water just covered the opening for the rudder post, which was a little deeper than where the waterline is on the full sized launch. Mike had already poured a large amount of epoxy in the under deck compartments to make sure the boat was waterproof under the deck. To help balance the location of the waterline I added 1.5 lb of weight to the bow. That sank the bow a little, but raised the stern to where the waterline was between the end of the keel and the rudder post hole.

We mixed the 1.5lb of lead shot with epoxy and added it to the forward compartments under the deck. Then we went down to the river to go for a swim. I can't wait to put the boat in the river.
Last edited by Bill Dimpfl; Sep 15, 2019 at 02:36 PM.
Sep 15, 2019, 04:44 PM
W Dimpfl
Thread OP

Painting the Hull and finishing the deck

Mike painted the bottom with gloss white Rustoleum spray paint. Now he is finishing waterproofing the interior with Westsystems epoxy, which he is also using on the deck.
Yesterday, 02:52 PM
Nice work!

Quick Reply