Mar 01, 2018, 12:57 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

MGPS Accuracy and Operation

Greetings,

Recently received my DS-24 which I love and decided to install an MGPS unit. Installed as per manual and the configuration is: MGPS into Expander E2 (Mezon also connected into E2) into Duplex R9. Everything ran up ok and both EXT modules display correctly on the DS-24.

The problem is the the data from the MGPS isnít accurate, for example I set the Origin to my current location and confirmed it was reading 0, 0 for altitude and distance. I went flying and took readings using a switch intermittently. They seemed totally out, I mean by 100ís of meters at times, when I landed and placed my model at the same place I set as my Origin, it was out by about 30 meters. I checked the satellite count before and after the flight and on both occasions it was showing more than a five count on the unitís LED.

A second query is whether the MGPS is supposed to measure distance to the aircraft across the ground or "on the slant"? Futaba's unit is very accurate and gives you the choice between these two measures of distance. The Jeti unit doesn't offer a choice and the manual doesnt tell you which measure they use.

Any thoughts on this?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2018, 12:26 PM
I purchased three Jeti MGPS units. I had the same issues you described.
Mar 02, 2018, 04:39 PM
I've just fitted one but haven't got trying it - will be interested to see if mine is the same.
Mar 03, 2018, 08:05 PM
Thread OP
After resetting the initial point, it went out by various amounts after each flight. Some small, some major.

See attached pics to show the last two points, snapped after two separate landings at the same point on the ground.

I also note there seems to be delays in the position reporting. It was inconsistent but I would have said the delay was about 3 seconds. IE. After you fly past yourself, the mimimum distance is stated about 3 seconds after the aircraft passes the closest distance.

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated
Last edited by twoturnspin; Mar 03, 2018 at 08:10 PM.
May 03, 2019, 07:57 AM
A320 PILOT
can anyone explain how to connect it to cb200 and how can i active it on my ds24 TX

i did try and connect (black connector) from MGPS to EX port in cb200 and i have a single flash on my MGPS EX but i have nothing showing in my device explorer or telemetry

any help pls
May 03, 2019, 05:02 PM
In search of speed......
Connect the red into that same port the black is for reset.....and it won’t in the devices explorer, it will be available in the sensor page after resetting that the sensor....you can select a Jetibox while there...to navigate through the menu (an older devices)
May 06, 2019, 01:05 PM
A320 PILOT
Dansy thanks for the replay

i am still having problem in make it working so..

i have my CB200 with 3 r3/rsw
tow as receivers and one as switch
receivers gos to RX1 & RX2
switch gos to SWITCH
MGPS black gos to EXT1

and in sensors/logging setup i did rest telemetry settings
but still no gps data appears?

what should i do or is there is something i miss
May 06, 2019, 02:10 PM
In search of speed......
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_t5
Dansy thanks for the replay

i am still having problem in make it working so..

i have my CB200 with 3 r3/rsw
tow as receivers and one as switch
receivers gos to RX1 & RX2
switch gos to SWITCH
MGPS black gos to EXT1

and in sensors/logging setup i did rest telemetry settings
but still no gps data appears?

what should i do or is there is something i miss
Got to be a simple fix....check in the device explorer, make sure your set the ext port on telemetry....these older devices DoNot work on exbus
May 06, 2019, 08:20 PM
A320 PILOT
Thanks now its working
Thanks for the help
Aug 21, 2019, 02:34 PM
Jeti GPS mapping using the Jeti Studio? Does anyone know how to make this work. I have reasonable looking data files downloaded from Tx to Jeti Studio. I can display the Lat Lon data and most on the other data on the timeline graph usually used to display other flight data. But I can't get the GPS Map tool to display the data in a usable way. I can set it to use Google Maps and it will display a point on the map that is in the right area but I cannot figure out how to enlarge the map to be able to really see the flight path? Need help

Quick Reply