Feb 28, 2018, 04:27 PM
Discussion

What is the best multi-protocol external module for Frsky?

Hi guys. I'm getting a new Frsky transmitter, and I'm looking to maintain compatibility with my existing set of Spektrum receivers. So I'm looking at external modules, and these are the ones I see. Can anyone elaborate on reliability or any pros or cons of these to help me make a good decision? Or if my links are to older versions and there are newer ones out there, please let me know!
  • IRange IRX4 - According to the info here, it looks like it might only support DSM2, but I wasn't sure. I really want DSMX though.
  • IRange R4X Pro - Looks like maybe this one supports DSMX?
  • This orange module or this orange module. Can't tell what the difference is between them or which is the latest version. They both claim DSM2 and DSMX compatibility, but are they reliable?

Probably should also have asked this, but is there any good vendor in the US carrying the iRange if that turns out to be the preferred option? I see one of them carried on Amazon in the US (at an exorbitant price), but otherwise they seem to only be available from China via Banggood. The orange, on the other hand, appears to be in stock in the US by HobbyKing.
Last edited by AlgebraicMirror; Feb 28, 2018 at 04:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2018, 04:52 PM
Neither iRange or Orange are technically legal in the US. They have no FCC certificate so no US based vendor should be selling them. Mostly iRangeX is sold via Banggood. and Orange modules are sold through the HK international site.

The iRangeX is an implemention of the MULTIPROTCOL design and as far as I know all versions support DSMX the implementation of which originated from the Deviation project. The DSMX implementation is apparently fairly complete and even supports telemetry. You may need to flash with the latest firmware.

The Orange modules (probably) use an older copy of a Deviation implementation of DSMX and have had some problems particularly binding with the integrated UMX style models. I don't know if that has been fixed in more recent iterations. Some can be flashed with the MULTIPROTOCOL firmware but that is not straightforward.

Personally I would not use either for anything large, expensive or dangerous.
Feb 28, 2018, 05:50 PM
The IRX4 works fine with DSMX on my 9XR pro.
Feb 28, 2018, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressalltheknobs
Neither iRange or Orange are technically legal in the US. They have no FCC certificate so no US based vendor should be selling them. Mostly iRangeX is sold via Banggood. and Orange modules are sold through the HK international site.
With regards to FCC certifications, are they operating on channels that aren't legal in the US, or they simply haven't gone through the certification process? Are there any implementation that are legal/FCC Certified? I would like to buy something legal that works well, I'm not wedded to either of these models as I said.

Quote:
The iRangeX is an implemention of the MULTIPROTCOL design and as far as I know all versions support DSMX the implementation of which originated from the Deviation project. The DSMX implementation is apparently fairly complete and even supports telemetry. You may need to flash with the latest firmware.
How do you get new firmware for them? Is it published by a vendor somewhere?

Quote:
Personally I would not use either for anything large, expensive or dangerous.
I don't fly anything large, expensive or dangerous. I'm a newbie, and only have micro-quads or small UMX planes. This is really just to maintain compatibility with the UMX planes I have that have Spektrum receivers. In the future I'm hoping to mostly get PNP type planes and put Frsky in them.
Feb 28, 2018, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlazy
The IRX4 works fine with DSMX on my 9XR pro.
How do you bind that one, since I didn't see a bind button on the IRX4?
Feb 28, 2018, 07:34 PM
It is not FCC certified which means it is not legal to sell or use in the US. If you use it, potentially you could get into trouble...unlikely unless you do something exceedingly stupid but...

The Multiprotocol module contains many reverse engineered protocol implementations and 4 different 2.4GHz RF chips designed to work in the 2.4GHz ISM band. Since it has not been officially tested it may interfere with other users of the band or even out of band. It probably doesn't but unless you have test equipment and skills there is know way to know.

The Orange module has the same status but only has the chip that can be used to implement DSM2/X and similar protrocols.

OpenTX knows about Multiprotocol modules and you can select the protocol and bind from within the TX if you add that feature to the OpenTX build...
Mar 01, 2018, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraicMirror
How do you bind that one, since I didn't see a bind button on the IRX4?

You set it to auto bind in the radio.

Quick Reply