P-38 Pusher MJ - Another variant of twin boom - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 04, 2018, 07:41 PM

p-38 maiden

Ok Matejy, here it is. I did build with larger aileron and elevator. This was a very uneventful maiden, 1/2 throttle take off and it's gone, 2 click down elevator and 2 click right aileron was all that was needed on mine. Most likely the elevator adjustment is due to motor angle, i think mine could use a bit of angling as it tends to gain altitude with heavy throttle. The plane tracked strait and true, it didn't fee light, nor did it feel heavy while flying. Aileron rolls were predictable in either direction while using elevator (didn't use elevator first roll) loops can be however you want them. all rates were set on low 70%, I haven't tried high rates nor expect to as it performed great as it is. i flew it as slow as i could without touching elevator, no sign of tip stall. Landing was uneventful also, came in low and slow, cut throttle and pulled up. thanks for a sweet design.
P-38 pusher (2 min 23 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2018, 11:55 PM
The Flying Ants
That is a great speed flying a few second after launch. Didn't know it can flew that fast. What Motor, setup for your build?

And yes, motor angle is the thing should be considered. Same as mine, once the throttle increased it straight put the nose up at start climbing almost 90 degree
Apr 05, 2018, 09:03 AM
I'm using this motor with a 9x4.5 prop http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...outrunner.html
Apr 07, 2018, 09:43 PM
I hove more stick time in today, still a great tracker, stays where you want it. Motor off glide was excellent. inverted flight is a challenge, required 3/4 of elevator input to stay there.
Apr 07, 2018, 09:55 PM
The Flying Ants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Dart Flyer
I hove more stick time in today, still a great tracker, stays where you want it. Motor off glide was excellent. inverted flight is a challenge, required 3/4 of elevator input to stay there.
Waaa.. managed to do inverted? That's great. I tried earlier but it's kind of hard for the plane to have a roll. And rolling take quiet some time to take effect on it. Definitely I need to increase my aileron surface

Furthermore, since I'm only using the depron wing spar, the wings tend to flex too much and make rolling nor inverted seems impossible. Future build, should put this into consideration. Maybe double up the spar or insert an aluminum spar as per your build.
Apr 07, 2018, 10:41 PM
I also failed to mention that I now launch it motor off. After a prop strike to the finger I decided to play it safe, this plane glides good enough that i have enough time to throttle up after throwing.
Apr 08, 2018, 12:22 AM
The Flying Ants
Ouchh.. that's gotta hurt. Got flipped by the prop is the experience one would have when dealing with mid-pusher aircraft as I had mine on my last build, Yak 130 MJ.

I now got the hold of the fuselage top, full power the motor and simply just toss it front. That for say after you have maiden it and get all the controls trimmed
Apr 08, 2018, 06:18 PM
Threw on some paint today. 2 tones, hard to see in pics.
Apr 09, 2018, 07:25 AM
The Flying Ants
I envy you.. haven't got a chance to beautify my P-38. Wish I cud do the same.. give it some color, decals or maybe get the landing gear in..
Apr 09, 2018, 08:42 PM
My build I started in progress. Going to try a 2200kv motor with a 6x4 prop. Reworked center fuse to allow B fold setup.
Apr 09, 2018, 10:08 PM
The Flying Ants
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpot1
My build I started in progress. Going to try a 2200kv motor with a 6x4 prop. Reworked center fuse to allow B fold setup.
BTW, did you have any sort of spar for the boom? Kind of seeing a black shadow inside it. Is that a carbon rod or it just my eyes
If you happen to have the build image of your's P-38, do share here. Want to see how you mod it.
Apr 10, 2018, 05:51 AM
Wow good eyes! Yes there is a BBQ skewer in the boom. The DTFB with paper on is relatively stiff but I added the skewer anyway. Laminated them together with 3M 77 spray to keep weight down. Working on the center fuse and need to tweak plans. Once I get them proven I will certainly post.
Apr 13, 2018, 08:01 PM
Lawn dart flyer can you show a pic of how you did your hatch?
Apr 13, 2018, 08:17 PM
yeah, it's kinda rigged. I went as big as i could knowing a 2200 3 cell had to go in, nose part is hinged and held on with packing tape, and before i painted it i held the back of it with tape. I will but a magnet on before next flight.
Apr 14, 2018, 04:28 PM
Thanks went with a similar approach with magnets. All done with some zip ties under the booms and vstabs to prevent foam rash. Maiden hopefully soon.

Quick Reply